PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed real bad

High Wheeler
03-24-2005, 03:34 PM
ok I need a ford owners help.
my wife has an 91 f250 4x4 and it the one in the pic's out at stave lake. what happened is this.

about 4 days after she got stuck in the mud pond. her rear brakes have gone to shit and this stupid idiot light "rear antilock" stays on. so I took them apart and found that she needed new rear brake shoes and replaced them. now I know they are new. BUT that idiot light is still on. if you pump the bedal 3 to 4 times and wait a few sec it goes out but if you shut the truck off and then turn it back on that light "rear antilock" comes back on and stays on.
how the heck do I get it to go out??? is there a way to empty the memory?? or is there something more wrong with it??? I have checked what I can adjusted what I can and brake pedal seems to be low like not being able to get a full foot under it when the truck is on.
any idea's as to what I might look for or check???

please this thing is driving me to drink heavier

any and all info will be replied to as to what I found

thanks
sean = spanky's husband

-------------------------
floating somewhere on cloud nine and need some help finding my home but please if your going to stop and pick me up make sure it's in a TOYOTA

HEAVY METAL
03-24-2005, 03:48 PM
try disconecting the battery for 10 mins...sometimes that wipes the codes out.

-----------------------

JESUS DID IT FOR THE CHICKS

imported_n/a
03-24-2005, 03:48 PM
the ABS light has been on in my truck since I got it, I asked a mechanic about it and he said if the brakes work to take the light out from the dash.[freak] You could also try changing the ABS sensor on the axel, or check the wires from the sensor along the frame. It might have been damaged in the mud...[cheers]

87 F150 4X4
89 S10 Blazer

MetalMan
03-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Has it got some valve with a wire or two coming off it sitting in the frame?

I'm not a drunkaholic, occifer...

STranger
03-24-2005, 04:00 PM
sounds like the brakes need to be bled.air in the system will cause the light to come on and the low peddle.

i dont need people to get me,i just need people to get out of my way

High Wheeler
03-24-2005, 04:30 PM
thanks for all the fast reply's.

here is what I know so far. I have removed the pos lead off the batter and it's a no go. light still on!! thanks

dont want to remove the light nor do I want to keep it on all the time. she got the truck from her late father and the light was not on when she got it. so I want to fix the light problem... thanks

followed the antilock from rear housing nothing wrong as far as I can see.. thanks

as for the bleeding of the brakes that seems to be my next try.. it does have a low pedal and if you pump the pedal it does go out and stay out untill you shut the truck off. then comes on and stays on. so I will do this next... thanks

so again thanks for all replies and I will post as to what happens fix or not......

floating somewhere on cloud nine and need some help finding my home but please if your going to stop and pick me up make sure it's in a TOYOTA

Hyenuf
03-24-2005, 05:14 PM
If the antilock sender is on the diff... It may have been damaged in the muck. If you can find the sender.... check the gap... if it's too wide .. The Light will come on. If the lead from the sender got kinked.... you guessed it! The light will come on. The guy that told you to "take the light out" is a moron... go punch him in the head. Of course the brakes work... The light comes on to tell you that the ANTI-LOCK portion of your brakes isn't working.

You also may want to check the fuse going to the ABS computer.... If something went wrong .... The fuse will blow and Guess what... The light comes on!!!

Hope this sheds a little light :D on your trouble

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
If it's TTB.... trust me, it's broke!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS A FAILURE TO ARTICULATE

PHANSIE----->http://dungpow.com/smilies/010.gif<----- HYENUF Yes Dear!!

http://www.members.shaw.ca/Hyenuf/bronc3.jpg

In The Zone
03-24-2005, 07:50 PM
thats what i would check sensor in the diff also check for water in thier and or mud.....

thats why i like to run through the crek to wash all the mus of[c]f.....

97 FORD SAS Histeer
8" suspension lift
HD D44 HD D60 5:13
36" swampers locked and chiped ready to play almost......

STranger
03-25-2005, 04:07 AM
if it was the diff pickup the light wouldn't go out when the brakes are pumped.
same for the wires leading to it.that light is hooked up to the brake balance switch in the proportioning valve.if theres air in one end of the system(front or rear)or if the rear brakes are way out of adjustment the balance valve will trip the switch untill there is enough pressure on both sides to center it again.it is a piston that floats in a bore with one side open to front brake pressure and the other side to rear brake pressure and a detent to trip a switch in the middle.if theres more pressure in one side than the other the piston will be pushed off center and trip the warning light.when the brakes are pumped up the pressure will equalize,shutting the light off.

sounds a bit like what you got going on there.

In The Zone
03-25-2005, 05:28 AM
i agree with u Tom with the pressure differential but that would light the dummy light the same one the park brake lights...
or is the rear antilock light serving both purposes?

check yoour master and see where the fluid level is...

here is a idea see if u can lock em up doing lets say 90 k

97 FORD SAS Histeer
8" suspension lift
HD D44 HD D60 5:13
36" swampers locked and chiped ready to play almost......

High Wheeler
03-25-2005, 05:40 AM
Thank you all for your replies. I am going to bleed the brakes today and will post what happens. hope this works for me. I have exhousted all other idea's except just taking it down to a ford dealer. I have grounded the ford till it's fixed. wife not happy but hey better this way then sitting in someones livingroom at the bottom of the hill ;).

Hyenuf
03-25-2005, 07:57 AM
Oh hey... you can still drive .... it's just that the anti lock doesn't work.... the brakes will still function like an older truck... just no anti lock:)

High Wheeler
03-25-2005, 08:04 AM
I know we can still drive it but the brake pedal is real soft " I can barely put a foot under the pedal when applied" soft so I dont want to take chances with it. my wife drives the ford and she has my KIDS it it too. so grounded it is untill I feel good about it. ;)

she still has the toyota to get around so she's not 4x4less just fordless :)

STranger
03-25-2005, 10:34 AM
if the bleeding doesn't do it,then it's rear brake adjustment.just because the light is on doesn't mean the abs is non-functional,that light comes on with any brake related trouble sensor being tripped(including low fluid level in the master)so its nothing to panic about.usually what happens when wheeling is the fluid shakes around and gets air bubbles in it,and they get drawn into the master when the brakes are applied.

Hyenuf
03-25-2005, 10:46 AM
quote:Originally posted by STranger

if the bleeding doesn't do it,then it's rear brake adjustment.just because the light is on doesn't mean the abs is non-functional,that light comes on with any brake related trouble sensor being tripped(including low fluid level in the master)so its nothing to panic about.usually what happens when wheeling is the fluid shakes around and gets air bubbles in it,and they get drawn into the master when the brakes are applied.

Really??? Shit I just learned something!!! Now I can go back to sleep.:D
I didn't realize the abs light came on for all that stuff too. I thought the other one came on then. This is good to know.. Thanks Tom!!

hornythrony
03-28-2005, 05:40 PM

same for the wires leading to it.that light is hooked up to the brake balance switch in the proportioning valve.if theres air in one end of the system(front or rear)or if the rear brakes are way out of adjustment the balance valve will trip the switch untill there is enough pressure on both sides to center it again.it is a piston that floats in a bore with one side open to front brake pressure and the other side to rear brake pressure and a detent to trip a switch in the middle.if theres more pressure in one side than the other the piston will be pushed off center and trip the warning light.when the brakes are pumped up the pressure will equalize,shutting the light off.

couldn't of said it better i agree with tom

its a fullsize thing! jeep owners just wont understand:P

Hyenuf
03-28-2005, 09:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by hornythrony

couldn't of said it better i agree with tom

its a fullsize thing! jeep owners don't understand much of anything:P

Fixed it :D

Lord, grant me the patience to swap in my 460!!

Hyenuf
03-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Didja get this prob fixed yet????

We're dying of anticipation[2b][2b][2b][2b][2b][2b]

Lord, grant me the patience to swap in my 460!!

High Wheeler
04-06-2005, 07:24 PM
no the damn ford sits in my drive way all by it's self. I did the bleeding of the brakes, checked the lines for leaks, checked the rear antilock switch, everything that everyone said to look for. still the light is on and the brake pedal goes to the floor. so I will look into a new master cylinder and if that dont fix it then I will buy 1 gallon of gas and 1 match and I will be out at stave roasting weiners so come on down ;)

High Wheeler
04-06-2005, 07:28 PM
the wife says get a grip to me but we all know who has to fix it here dont we.... like I said 1 gallon of gas and I am off to stave if the master cylinder dont fix it

FORD' SUCK

if you want to buy a real truck buy a TOYOTA

Hyenuf
04-06-2005, 08:50 PM
Where are ya located???

I was just thinkin' (ya I know.... scary)Before you replace the master.... Could you maybe try REVERSE BLEEDING??? Push the brake fluid up from the furthest away wheel...PS Rear.. and work your way closer...I know it sounds weird but it was the ONLY way we could get the air out ov our Volvo Hyd cluthes.

hope this helps.......Can give you a hand!!:D

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
If it's TTB... trust me .... It's Broke!!

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/2/character38.gifI AM THE BOARD NAZI!!!..THERE WILL BE NO HUMOUR HERE!!!

High Wheeler
04-07-2005, 03:58 PM
hey Hyenuf we live closer to you then you think..???reverse bleeding?? I have never heard of this and I dont think it can be done on a FORD can it???? but hey I am open to anything at this point.... the master looks new but we know new things can fail. I have tried everything except reverse bleeding (never knew)

FORD' SUCK

if you want to buy a real truck buy a TOYOTA

Rebulon Refurbulater
04-24-2005, 07:46 AM
could cause a problem with antilock....never push fluid "back" on an antilock equipped vehicle......when you are depressing the wheel cyl or caliper crack the bleeders to let the fluid out.....check the master....good luck

Wheelin', Workin',........oh yeah....Sex!

Rebulon Refurbulater
04-26-2005, 05:33 PM
any new info?

Wheelin', Workin',........oh yeah....Sex!