PDA

View Full Version : Distributor woes

Hyenuf
03-14-2005, 08:04 PM
ok.. i admit it I'm not reall familiar with chev engines.I was putting the Mighty 2.8 together and everything was going great. I put the Dist. in and at first it wouldn't drop. I dicked around for a bit (wiggle the dist. Wiggle the crank) and voila... it dropped in just fine. It even engaged the oil pump properly.

I turned the motor over a few times by hand to make sure everything was working right(spark plugs are out) I was turning the motor back around to #1 TDC when I heard a "CRUNCH" no extra resistance... just "CRUNCH"

When I pulled the Dist back out.... 6 teeth were busted off![wtf] did I do wrong?????
and also... how the hell do I get the pieces out???

I know I'm gonna take a truckload of shit over this But I'm kinda in a bind here. HELP!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
If it's TTB.... trust me, it's broke!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS A FAILURE TO ARTICULATE

PHANSIE----->http://dungpow.com/smilies/010.gif<----- HYENUF Yes Dear!!

Magna
03-15-2005, 06:11 AM
That's a strange one.
I can't think of why the distributor gear would break, unless it was defective. Was the distributor shaft seized? Since you could turn the engine by hand, obviously the engine isn't seized. Since the gear on the distributor broke, that means that the cam was turning, since the distributor is driven by the cam.
Since the distributor dropped-in properly, that means that the cam gear and distributor gear actually meshed together, otherwise the distributor wouldn't have gone in. hmmmmmm.....noodle-scratcher. Nothing comes to mind right now.

Sorry for your problem.

Getting the broken pieces out now is gonna be a big PITA.
At thevery least you're going to have to pull the oil pan and clean ALL the little bits out of the pan and anywhere else in the block. Since the engine wasn't actually run, and the block hasn't been moved around, the broken pieces won't be all over the place....but it's still going to be rough to make sure that you get all the metal out. Might even have some bits up in the lifter valley.
All it takes is to miss one or two itty-bitty pieces......:(

'86 S10 Blazer
2.8 with stuff done

I've been in school for so long - by now, I could've been a gynecologist instead.

Hyenuf
03-15-2005, 10:21 PM
AHA!!!

In case anyone is scratching their head I got it figured out. In 1982 the 2.8 came with a cast Distributor gear. Later years came with a steel one. The two are NOT interchangable. That's why the gear sheared off mine.....SHIT!

At least it aint fatal. Scoop out the pieces and start again.:D

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
If it's TTB.... trust me, it's broke!
WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS A FAILURE TO ARTICULATE

PHANSIE----->http://dungpow.com/smilies/010.gif<----- HYENUF Yes Dear!!