PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Brakes

Honky
03-11-2005, 10:04 AM
Iím running CJ5 with stock brakes and 35Ē tire. I know that doesnít help but I cant lock the brakes. With the trailer on the back all I can do is slow down and if I have to stop quick...well I guess Iím not. [aahh]

I donít have air in the lines and the brake pedal is firm. I could go though and replace all the braking components or upgrade to a Hydro boost. Just wanted to see if anyone else running a CJ7 or CJ5 has this problem.

--------
HWA(Harry Whiteass), AKA Kevin

Iíd rather laugh with the sinners then cry with the saints.

godzuka
03-11-2005, 10:28 AM
looks like nobody else is dumb enough[f]

Godzuka: a man with little patience for people with a lack of intelegence

Honky
03-11-2005, 10:36 AM
Hey you donít see me going around making fun of zukiís do you?

[16]

--------

jeeper
03-11-2005, 10:40 AM
DID you check to see if your booster was actually working?

There are three ways to get something done:
1) Do it yourself.
2) Pay somebody to do it.
3) Forbid your kids to do it.

mista fitz
03-11-2005, 10:43 AM
this trail mod really did wonders for the braking in my cj5..

Image Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/mista fitz/200522314468_spudspudspudspudspud06.JPG

[c]

seriously though, maybe its time for disc brakes in the rear? (BLING!)

Honky
03-11-2005, 10:44 AM
You mean unplug the vacuum booster line and see if there is a difference? No not yet[2]

--------

FrogDog
03-11-2005, 04:14 PM
Kev.. i haul a trailer all the time with frogdog, although the trailer i have has electric breaks it works great and its a tandom 8x16 .. but when i tow a trailer with out i have the same problem, the small stock breaks and 35s as i have as well is a little hard on the system allready and probubly is a normal issue..

concider electric breaks for the trailer, its not that much, and will be a great benifit..ive never seen your trailer and dont know if this can be done on yours but your cj will more than thank you.. hehe..

my 2 cents bro

------------------------------------------------------
I know, who the fuck asked me anyay ..

brandonf250
03-11-2005, 04:18 PM
hey kevin,on my 1991 yj i had an 8.8 in the back and 35" tires i could barely lock the brakes up towing nothing,you might have to go with bigger brakes or rear discs?

Big_Ern
03-11-2005, 04:26 PM
I don't know much about the jeep stuff, but I'd bet its not your brakes that are the problem. Those 35" krawlers are heavy fuckin tires -- it would take some heavy duty aftermarket brakes to lock those up on the dry pavement.

When I have my swampers on I can hardly lock mine up either. Its just a fact of life with big heavy tires and rims.

Me like Hot Tubs [49][49]

***The REAL Hairy White Ass Returns!***

'89 4Runner w/ 31" Racing Slicks

Sambuca id Da Debil!!

Moondog
03-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Why you are getting this problem with the trailer is because you have not uprated your rotors and brakes to take the extra weight of stopping your 35" tires so your stock brakes will just about manage the extra weight but when you are hauling your trailer your stock brakes can't cope. Why frogdog manages is because he has a trailer with electric brakes on it so you have a choice uprate to bigger rotors & brakes or get a trailer with electric brakes.
Jesse James explained this problem once on Monster Garage when they put i think it was 26" wheels on the Cadillac escalade party wagon show.

T.O.
03-11-2005, 08:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big_Ern

I don't know much about the jeep stuff, but I'd bet its not your brakes that are the problem. Those 35" krawlers are heavy fuckin tires -- it would take some heavy duty aftermarket brakes to lock those up on the dry pavement.

When I have my swampers on I can hardly lock mine up either. Its just a fact of life with big heavy tires and rims.

Me like Hot Tubs [49][49]

***The REAL Hairy White Ass Returns!***

'89 4Runner w/ 31" Racing Slicks

Sambuca id Da Debil!!

I can lock up all four with the Minnie Winnie on, You got something wrong.

The difference between genius and stupidity is theres an end to genius.

jeeper
03-11-2005, 08:23 PM
I think his boosters not workin !

There are three ways to get something done:
1) Do it yourself.
2) Pay somebody to do it.
3) Forbid your kids to do it.

Moondog
03-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Off subject Kev but are you running BFG 35" Crawlers? If so how good are they? Off road use and on road use (I prosume that your jeep is your daily driver) Thanks Dave.

Cookie
03-12-2005, 07:39 AM
i had a 80 cj7 on 33's ,smaller tire but i was unable to lock them up.when i was on gravel it was more like a grinding halt tires still turned just not as fast as the truck was moving.i wass told then that a new booster would be a huge improvement but never bothered, i was never really goin that fast anyhow.

***NOTHING***

STranger
03-12-2005, 11:54 AM
big disks
big disks
big disks
big disks
big disks
stop

i dont need people to get me,i just need people to get out of my way

mista fitz
03-12-2005, 04:38 PM
just sorted my rear drums, needed a wheel cylinder.. I'm on 33's and it stops fast and even, believe it or not, in a cj5..

Camorokee
03-14-2005, 05:45 PM
you can also go with a bigger master.

bigger is always better