PDA

View Full Version : sammy reliability problem

imported_n/a
03-05-2005, 02:55 PM
hey everyone, im new to this site, and i am interested in getting a samurai. the only thing that is holding me back is reliability. everyone i talk to, including zuki owners say the drivetrain is very weak, and cannot handle larger tires and hardcore 4 wheeling. please let me know if this is true or not, and if it is a weak drivetrain, are there strongerreplacement parts like tcases, and trannies available for them? i want to build a sammy, and iwant reliability. let me know what u guys think

HEAVY METAL
03-05-2005, 04:16 PM
i drove one for a couple years..beat the hell outts it. did a spring over and 31" swampers. the only thing that broke was i bent a shift fork in the tranny, but was able to take it out and fix it trail side...awesome trucks lots of fun.

-----------------------

JESUS DID IT FOR THE CHICKS

Burge
03-05-2005, 05:48 PM
if you take care of it, it will take care of you. You beat the fuck out of it and its gonna break and leave you stranded. They are one of the simpilest vehicles to work on.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

cjMike
03-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Pound for pound probably the toughest trucks out there!I had a sj410 which had smaller engine 4 spd only smaller diffs and still ran 33 muds!Didnt brake a thing but 6 months after selling it to a friend he blew the motor[ran her low on oil] destroyed the transfer case [ water in case] blew rear end [water in diff] and went through 3 front axles [once again water in housings] Treat them with a bit of driving ability and they last ![cheers]

I HURT MYSELF TODAY , TO SEE IF I STILL FEEL

STranger
03-05-2005, 06:00 PM
keep the tire size to 32" and beat the crap out of it.just check the oil in everything after getting it wet!

i dont need people to get me,i just need people to get out of my way

sj-x 500
03-05-2005, 06:02 PM
and install breathers on the diffs and t-case.

Zuk's on Ice.

bakelite
03-07-2005, 12:03 PM
260,000 kms and still going strong...a few wiring issues, a little rust. Don't bash em around TOO hard and they last pretty well. 2" body lift and 30" tires, works good, gotta do a little trimming tho.[c]
oops mine's a sidekick *L* [8D]
I'm tired.

matrixwoman
03-07-2005, 12:33 PM
well, take a look at my avatar. the bi-otch is still kicking butt! my truck ain't locked and i have out done LOTS of locked trucks in mud and on rocks. yes, sami's need a lot of maintenance cause they are old, but very tough and i'd say one of the best for offroading as they are so small!!

1988.5 sami in hibernation, stay tuned for its return...

cjMike
03-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Must be your womans touch there Erin![f]Or did the windshield blind you in that rollover????[32]

godzuka
03-07-2005, 01:02 PM
if youre worried about diff breakage go toy diffs and then you shouldn't have a problem.

Godzuka: a man with little patience for people with a lack of intelegence

cjMike
03-07-2005, 01:05 PM
I wonder just how strong a sammy diff is if built properly and with a reinforced housing etc?[?]

godzuka
03-07-2005, 02:35 PM
its probably easier to start with a toy diff instead of building a sammy axle.

u-can-2
03-07-2005, 04:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by godzuka

if youre worried about diff breakage go toy diffs and then you shouldn't have a problem.

Just know how to drive your shit and you'll be fine. I gues not everyone can be as talented as us eh [?][f]

*** Without alcohol, What would alcoholics drink [chugging] ***
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/HWA/2004923204537_jeepbeat.gif

leftfield
03-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Start stock, do lots of wheel'n, meet lots of people and get thier knowledge. Then save all your beer bottles, figure out what you like and build it once. Yep in a perfect world that's how it works. ha ha good luck

sj-x 500
03-07-2005, 08:32 PM
you can polish the suzuki turds all you want, it'll still be weaker then a yota axle

Zuk's on Ice.