PDA

View Full Version : HELP

harleyfatboy99ca
02-19-2005, 06:57 AM
10 bolt front and rear end, are these diffs good for an '89 cherokee? If not what diffs should I look for.

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Darn...that was fun!

harleyfatboy99ca
02-19-2005, 07:23 AM
[f]

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Darn...that was fun!

mUD uCKeR
02-19-2005, 07:30 PM
Hey...
Chevy 10 bolt front... Well, they are okay. They have the same strength in shafts and joints as a Dana 44. Infact, the outer knuckles, spindles, and brakes are the same as a Dana 44 and can be swapped from one to the other. The pinion in the 10 Bolt is a lot beefier from what I can remember. All in all They are not a bad diff. It's not a Dana 60, I would say mostly compareable to the Dana 44 in strength. I don't know about a rear though. Probably same idea. But i think chevy rear diff's are 12 bolt or 14 bolt. 12 bolts are eh... about the same as a Dana 44 I guess.
The problem you are gonna have, is that these Diffs are for full size vehicles and will have a WMS (wheel mounting surface) To WMS of about 69" while the jeeps and cherokee's exc. have a WHS of about 61" i think... maybe 62" in the front, I can't remember exactly, but it's a lot narrower. So if you want to use those diffs, and stay legal, you will have to have them narrowed. And really, after all that, it would be cheaper to find something else. Like a scout dana 44 front is a popular choice, or the dana 44 rear from the optional cherokee's that came with them. The easist upgrade would probably be the diffs from a Jeep wagonner. from 76 to 81 they had passanger side diff on the front, and from 81 to like 88 or something it was drivers side front diff. The WHS is only 63", which is close enough. and i think the spring perches are close, or close enough they can be re-drilled. Of course, because the Cherokee (XJ) uses front 4 link suspension with coil springs, you're gonna have to fabricate all the brakets and stuff on to your new diff anyways. Well, i guess that's the short version. For a regualar 4.0L cherokee, i would say the 10 bolt and 12 bolt diffs are a bad choice because for what they are, it's not worth the work to get them in. The dana 30's are strong enough to 35" tires if you are easy on the peaal but the rear dana 35 is pretty weak, but would be easy to upgrade to a cherokee dana 44 if you found one. 100 ways to skin the differential problem. All depends on what you do with the thing.

87 YJ, 2.5" BL, SOA Dana 44's front and back, 8274 warn, 36" TSLs, 350 SBC/SM465/NP205, no lockers, and beat to shit, and my daily driver to boot.