PDA

View Full Version : Mounting my winch(s)

Burge
02-13-2005, 03:17 PM
I bought a new 8000lb winch today, I have an old 8000lb warn upright sitting in my shop.

I was thinking about mounting my new winch in cradle and making it go into a class 3 receiver so i can take the winch off durring the week and switch it from the front to the back. If I do this set up i know the weakest link will be the 1/2 pin for the hitch.

should I just fab a front bumper that incorperates my new winch and have it mounted in full time or should i make a cradle for it? or should I mount it in full time and make a cradle for my old winch and put it on the back.

What should I do guys, I cant make my mind up. Do i really need 2 8000lb winchs on a sammy. think i will be happy with just on 8000lb winch on the front and a snatch block.

so many options:([21] I know a suzuki needs a ball of twine and 2 guys to pull it out. But im way too lazy for that.

whats your guys input?

[7]
I can weld/fab anything i want (ticketed welder) What should be done here.[31]

- - - - - - - - - - - -

harleyfatboy99ca
02-13-2005, 03:31 PM
YOUR BETTER OFF TO MAKE A RECIEVER HITCH, FRONT AND REAR. AND IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT FOR YOUR OLD ONE, I NEED ONE.

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Darn...that was fun!

Burge
02-13-2005, 04:02 PM
I just a little worryed about the weakest link if i go that route, the pin holding the cradle in.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

82 yota
02-13-2005, 05:44 PM
modify it and use 2 pins to hold the winch on

Cookie
02-13-2005, 05:52 PM
what ill be doin is putting my extra winch onto a plate that can be then attached to a built in reciever on my rear bumper.

***I HATE MOLSON SO MUCH that we bought a KEG***

blazinbc
02-13-2005, 06:05 PM
Ya i don't think I would want to lug a 8000 pound warn winch from front to back and really how often do you use the one in the rear ??. I think that reciever would be a week point. I know that when I do get out to go wheeling I never go alone or at least very rare. I would just make a bumper in the front to fit it tight so it does not get stolen. If your old 8000 is a warn 8274 upright I would be interested in buying it, my motor on mine has gone to hell!!

Cookie
02-13-2005, 06:10 PM
the extra winch is a 5000 warn ive got a permanent mounted one on the front 6000.as for the bumper ive tugged the hell out that thing it was built right with extra support,like a vee from center out. but ya lugging an 8000 around off road would suck.

***I HATE MOLSON SO MUCH that we bought a KEG***

Burge
02-13-2005, 06:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by 82 yota

modify it and use 2 pins to hold the winch on

wouldnt work with the way my rear bumper is fabbed. but there is room to ream the hole a bit bigger to use a bigger bolt.

does anyone know the tensile strength of a a gr8 1/2 or 5/8 bolt?

- - - - - - - - - - - -