PDA

View Full Version : 383 Stroker

kootenaycat
02-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Helped a buddy swap in a 383 in his '92 Chevy 4x4, and was wondering if anyone else has had experiences with the strokers and EFI? He already had a hypertech chip with the stock 350, and it always had a stumble off idle, but was really bad with the 350, but now it is not so noticable with the 383. We tried another stock PCM, got rid of the stumble, but didn't have the top end power. Next, we tried the hypertech chip in the second PCM, immediately (key on, engine off) the check engine light started flashing steady (not flashing a code), it started and ran fine though. I'm wondering if maybe the hypertech chip must be compatible with the specific PCM? If there not interchangeable, I am surprised it started!

For anyone interested in a longblock stroker, he paid $2200 CDN (came out of Spokane, Washington) plus 14% taxes at the border, plus core charge which he gets back when he takes his old block back. He doesn't really want to take the old engine back because we found it had 4 bolt mains, and was out of a '90ish TBI! Priced out a 383 up here, and couldn't find one for under $3500.

boyzen
02-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Get some after market fuel injection ,or a carb and it will be great.

Gotta get the new d60hp diff in soon and the welded rear with new gears.

MetalMan
02-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Carb conversion...

Did he ever try to pull any codes out of the computer before? Have you tried lately? There is probably something else going on. '92 should be OBD1, a paper clip in the A and B diagnostic ports and a list of codes would go a long way. How big is the cam in the stroker?

I'm not a drunkaholic, occifer...

Tsunami
02-09-2005, 06:34 PM
There's a website called turbo city inc they deal in TBI's and might be able to help.Hope that helps[cheers]

Can't talk now the squirrels are watching

kootenaycat
02-09-2005, 07:04 PM
I never tried to pull codes because I've never seen the check engine light flash steady like that before, like I said, it was flashing before we even cranked it over. With the stock PCM and the hypertech chip it doesn't flash, only when putting the hypertech chip in the other PCM (out of a 89-90ish chevy). I know that with OBD-II, a flashing check engine light while driving usually means the cats are overheating, but not with OBD-I.

He has threatened to put a carb on it if he can't get the power and drivability out of it with the stock EFI, but would like to stay a fuelie.

Tsunami, I'll try the link, thanks!

MetalMan
02-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Try pulling codes, just because you never see the check engine light go on or it only goes on at certain times doesn't mean there's no code.

I'm not a drunkaholic, occifer...

brandonf250
02-12-2005, 07:56 AM
EFI is good just try working the bugs out

dexter302
02-15-2005, 06:24 PM
you will need bigger injectors... like 4-5 #'s more... to alow for the asdded air volume...

This space for rent
..._______
../_______\
.(]]__o__[[)
|\_o ___o_/|
|_|.........|_|

.............//)
..........,/../ /
........./..../ /
....//'...'/.`
./'/.../..../.....:^.\
('(.......... _/'...'/
\.................'...../
.'\'...\.......... _.
...\..............(
....\..............\

kootenaycat
02-15-2005, 07:23 PM
I haven't talked to him since the swap, so not sure how it's running and whether he tried another ECM or not. I was mainly interested in knowing why swapping Proms from one ECM to another would make the check engine light flash with the engine OFF. Even if you have a code stored, the only way to make the check engine light flash is jumping terminals A-B. This does it with no jumper, and flashes same consistent frequency.

Magna
02-16-2005, 05:57 AM
I'm interested in the cause too. All my research (before rebuilding my engine) indicated that when I bore, stroke, and cam my engine, I'd need to put in a chip from a 90's Lumina MPV 3.1 litre to get the best out of the bigger breathing stroker.
I found the exact chip that everyone suggested. Had the exact same problem that you are.

I was also told that I'd benefit from 3.1 injectors instead of the stock 2.8's. Wow....the damn things sprayed waaaaaaaay too much fuel and within seconds would wet the plugs.

I went back to the stock 2.8 chip and injectors....all seems fine, but I can't help wondering if I'm missing out on some extra free power.

'86 S10 Blazer
2.8 with stuff done

I've been in school for so long - by now, I could've been a gynecologist instead.

85_GMC_4x4
02-16-2005, 05:51 PM
You don't always need larger injectors.

Installing an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and upping the presure a little will give you the same results.

Honestly, the only way to know for sure is to check if the truck is running lean. Checking the plugs after a 1/4mile drag is easiest. But for those of us not good at reading the plugs, you can also buy an aftermarket guage that plugs into your O2 sensor and will tell you for sure.

It's also not just as simple as swapping in larger injectors. You need a mass air meter that's calibrated to run with the larger injectors unless you want to purchase an aftermarket programmable computer.

Basicly, the easiest thing to do for mild performance upgrades is to buy an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure guage. Then play with the fuel pressure until you find the optimal mixture.

85 GMC 3/4T 4x4
7" BDS suspension lift
35" Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Tires
Dual fuel propane/gas
Locked rear axle
Warn 8274 to pull me out

Magna
02-17-2005, 05:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by 85_GMC_4x4

You don't always need larger injectors.

Installing an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and upping the presure a little will give you the same results.

Basicly, the easiest thing to do for mild performance upgrades is to buy an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure guage. Then play with the fuel pressure until you find the optimal mixture.
Yeah, I looked into that when I was still putting the engine together. Basically, everyone told me that it wouldn't really make a difference unless I notice that my truck is running too lean.

Honestly, I haven't pulled a plug yet to check, but the truck seems to run fine, even under a relatively heavy load.

While building the engine, I phoned around to a half-dozen suppliers in town trying to find an adjustable fuel pressure regulator (Lordco, Napa, Crappy Tire, Action Auto, Okanagan Engine Rebuilders, etc).

I kid you not...three of the places didn't even know what I was talking about.
Lordco passed the phone around until the third person finally knew what an adjustable fuel pressure regulator was...and said all he could get was a 4PSI regulator from Honda. Wha???? Pffffffffttt
Action Automotive actually asked me if I knew what I wanted because he'd never heard of one of those and he was pretty sure that I was confused about what I wanted.

'86 S10 Blazer
2.8 with stuff done

I've been in school for so long - by now, I could've been a gynecologist instead.