PDA

View Full Version : front end problem

Moondog
02-02-2005, 08:55 PM
I have developed a strange vibrating knocking noise coming from the front end of my 98 xj (i know its a heep & i have herd all of the jokes)the passenger side wheel keeps shaking uncontrollably but it only lasts for a few seconds.It is worse when turning but it also happens when i stop and pull away again on hills. Had it up on jack stands ran it in 2 wheel drive no shaking or nothing, put in 4wheel drive turned the wheels left and right and everything from the transfer box down starts shaking & jumping about and there is a real loud mettalic clunking sound!! I have checked the driveshaft ujoints and they look good, also there is no wheel movement so wheel bearings should be ok as well. I have quick disconnects on the front and when i bought the truck it had a 3" lift on it but i had another 2' of lift (5" in total) put on it i was wondering if it was anything to do with that? Anyone got any ideas?

pumpkin
02-03-2005, 04:35 AM
Could be a siezed u joint.

bakelite
02-03-2005, 06:14 AM
my 90 was jiggling, the mount that came with the lift for the crossover bar came loose...tightened that and it was okay. good luck.

I like noise. I need noise. When it's too quiet, I can hear my brain cells dying.

cherokeeinprogess
02-04-2005, 01:26 PM
the metalic sound was this when you were turning the wheel ??
mine was due to the stabilizer bar the balljoint was worn and would cause a wobble and when turning the wheel it would clunk

1990 Cherokee lifted on 36 12.5's ~~ fully locked

Moondog
02-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Yeah thats what it is doing. I am having an adjustable track bar fitted and all of the u joints etc replaced thanks for your help.