PDA

View Full Version : 2.9

Denaliboy
01-11-2005, 07:47 PM
buddy of mine is having trouble with his 2.9 ... says it started running rough suddenly, no real reason for it. Says he's got a huge loss of power too. I told him to buy a chev cause i don't know anything about the 2.9

any suggestions i should give the guy? (other than burning it and getting a chev) [cheers]

I'm a man again...I don't drive a dodge anymore

Rider
01-12-2005, 05:27 AM
[wtf] 2.9, maybe tell the guy to get an engine. Swap that pos out to the lawnmower

[15]

Rider

Pegleg
01-12-2005, 08:43 AM
burn it

------------------------what u talking about willis?

Denaliboy
01-12-2005, 12:28 PM
think I'll offer him Z's tricycle...faster than most fords anyway [c]

RangerDanger
01-12-2005, 08:58 PM
The 2.9L EFI is a great little engine. Maybe a bit short on HP, but it makes up for it in it's torque. Its generaly a tough dependaple low matenience engine.

As for the problem with your friends truck bogging out, it could be due to it running rich. Is there any black smoke out the exhuast. If thats the case i would look for a EFI sensor to be the cause. Maybe a MAS sensor or a O2 sensor in the exhuast. Is it throwing a Check engine light?

might help to get a cheap code reader and pull the computer codes to see if the computer is detecting something from there. If all that is fine i would look for the fuel system to be the problem. Check to make sure the fuel pumps are providing enough pressure.

On some of these 2.9L's in the rangers they have 2 fuel pumps. A low pressure pump INSIDE the tank and a high pressure pump on the frame rail. Also check the fuel filter to see if its clogged.

My fords - http://www.cardomain.com/id/rangerdangers

Denaliboy
01-13-2005, 09:12 AM
second pump...good idea sensors as well

thx

In The Zone
01-13-2005, 04:12 PM
u can check obd1 codes with a multi meter (anolog ) count the sweeps...

i had the same problem one one of my broncos years back 2.9 allof a sudden no pwer ect....
turned out to be plugged exhaust.. baffle in the muffler droped and blocke dthe outlet go figure eh?

must have been that impact on the rocks..

hp aint so bad if ya port the heads and intake plenium as well as throttle body . give it 3" exhaust and your good to go..and change the shitty oem air box intake..
to low and to many bends and to small.

Soon to be on a trail near U

RangerDanger
01-15-2005, 05:39 PM
i dont know about a 3" on that engine! thats a little big. id go with 2.5" if dont wanna loose ALL your backpressure

In The Zone
01-15-2005, 05:58 PM
with the engine breathing better its effective cfm output is also increased more air in more exhaust out

it may be big on daul exhaust type set up but if you go dual why run a 2.9?[16]

but not for singular this is a high reving engine that needs rpm torque not compression torque

and gets great milage

78bronco
01-15-2005, 06:23 PM
I had a simaler prob with a shop truck that i use to drive the wires to th O2 sensor had no insulation left on them and were shoerting out

what other sport gives you goosebumps a 3mph

RangerDanger
01-15-2005, 11:59 PM
yeah but you will loose a lot of your low RPM torque with that big of tubing! I dont even run 3" on my 4.0L. sure u will gain a *little* high RPM horse power, but everyone knows its low down RPM torque that u want for 4X4'in and towing stuff. its not a sports car.

imported_n/a
01-22-2005, 07:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by In The Zone

but if you go dual why run a 2.9?

but not for singular this is a high reving engine that needs rpm torque not compression torque

What have you been smokin' man? I ran duals on a 2.8, which IS a high-revving engine....the stock valve train on the 2.9 floats 'em at about 6200 or so (and I hardly consider that "high revving" especially compared to the 7400 redline of my 2.8), but I do agree that unless you're running a HUGE blower on it, 3" is a bit oversized:D

2 85 BIIs
87 2wd Ranger
78 Mustang II T-top

mini
01-22-2005, 08:08 PM
hey another_broken_yamaha i just bought a obd1 code reader from walmart for 31 bucks and that was witha battery so you might wanna check that out just so taht you can get the codes

hey inthezone i have a 2.9 should i do headers back? or cat back?

list of parts so far:
stubshaft x2
rear diff yoke x1
hub x1

In The Zone
01-23-2005, 10:58 AM
cat back so as your o2 sensor is still in the loop
headers would be nice as well i have not thought about headers for the 2.9

if ya aint concerned with aircare then go headers and have a bung for your o2 sensor

so i guess what it a mounts to is i woulndt waste no $ on a 2.9 aside from basic maintence and basic mods.

there are better things.

as for your 2.8 guttless

i blew the valvetrain on a 2.8 p.o.s with only 267,00

the 2.9 i have now has floated many times well over 6000 rpm.

no complaints yet aside from the tranny
when this one goes its at 387,500 now and tranny is real noisy
i would just swap in a small v8 and be done withit. ..