PDA

View Full Version : Drop pitman arm help!

bakelite
01-11-2005, 06:21 AM
My 75 Chev 3/4 ton has a 4" suspension lift with the stock pitman arm, I would like to straighten this out, what pitman arm should I use? Would a 2" drop be okay(looks like it would line up good) and does anyone know where I could get a decent deal on one. Napa here wants like almost 400 bucks!![16]

I like noise. I need noise. When it's too quiet, I can hear my brain cells dying.

m j
01-11-2005, 09:43 AM
they are about $70 USD, kinda rare
I doubt you need one with 4" lift
even a 4" steering arm that is much more readily available would be too much IMO

what are you trying to fix?
the draglink should have a slight downward angle to it with lift springs

bakelite
01-11-2005, 02:20 PM
The short tie rod for the steering is at a downward angle. I was concerned about this but you figure it's alright? I was thinking to have everything lined up okay as I am fixing or replacing pretty much everything on this truck. It's way worse than I figured...as usual *L* I think the Dukes of Hazard used to own this one. Thanks!:)

Quite a difference in price tho. [1] NAPA

I like noise. I need noise. When it's too quiet, I can hear my brain cells dying.

m j
01-11-2005, 04:48 PM
if the draglink is parallel to the ground it will bumpsteer worse then if it is at a slight downward angle.
as the spring compresses it moves the axle rearward a bit, the angled draglink will kinda reduce how much of that movement is bumpsteer.
if you have a parallel draglink the arc of the draglink will get shorter as the spring moves upward and the axle will get farther away as the spring flattens,
kinda compound bumpsteer.

bakelite
01-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Thanks a lot, that makes sense, I really appreciate the info. besides the fact you saved me wasting money. Thanks.:)

ShortStack
01-23-2005, 08:52 AM
If you do need one, NSOR has them, as well as other parts to help

~Jaime~

www.bcvwdrivers.ca

m j
01-23-2005, 12:00 PM
In my opinion NSOR is a ripoff joint
it has been a long time since I walked into either of them but their pricing at the time was completely out to lunch
UPS delivers mail order to your door for much less then NSOR or Sprttruck
it would be nice to buy local but I will not at 100% markup over US retail pricing

In The Zone
01-23-2005, 12:05 PM
u said it ups man or get a box..

Soon to be on a trail near U

bakelite
01-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks, I got stuff from NSOR and paid way too much. I like to deal with Canadian outfits as much as I can but not when the prices are unrealistically different. I won't deal with them again unless they start charging a reasonable price for things.

I am going to run the stock one for now anyway, thanks.:)

ShortStack
02-19-2005, 07:29 AM
I did a price check there, haven't bought. Its the only place I know where they had 'em.

So where are you getting these deals from [?]

~Jaime~

www.bcvwdrivers.ca

HEAVY METAL
02-19-2005, 08:12 AM
i have some at the shop..i'll look em up on monday for ya.

-----------------------

JESUS DID IT FOR THE CHICKS

ShortStack
03-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Whats the verdict Heavy?

~Jaime~

www.bcvwdrivers.ca

HEAVY METAL
03-04-2005, 04:48 PM
sorry forgot....i'll do it this monday fer sure!

-----------------------

kootenaycat
03-04-2005, 06:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by HEAVY METAL

sorry forgot....i'll do it this monday fer sure!

-----------------------

[stoned] :D

HEAVY METAL
03-04-2005, 09:10 PM
hahahahaha

focker

-----------------------

ShortStack
03-12-2005, 08:33 PM
[41]

~Jaime~

www.bcvwdrivers.ca

Blazin Obsession
03-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Make sure the pitman does not slope more than a couple of degrees,or you will be reducing your steering radius greatly with each degree. This will be quite apparent off road when one wheel is elevated and the other dropped, you may not be able to turn at all.This is where cross over steering saves the day for Chevy.
Hope this was some help.
Ken