PDA

View Full Version : steering box?? posting for my friend

DanB
01-08-2005, 06:16 PM
About the jeep. it has power pitman arm type steering. All of a sudden out of the blue, the steering wheel binds pretty bad on each half turn. Think about when you open a car door, and you have those two open positions with resistance between them, that's how it feels when I turn the wheel. I've ruled out the pump, and I've greased all but one of the lower ball joints on the knuckle so I doubt that would be the problem. It must be the gearbox, but I've never heard of that happening, it was perfectly tight before, no signs of play or wear. It's weird how it's on the half turn of the input shaft too, like something is out of alignment in the box, or maybe the steering column. My next step is going to be to remove the linkage from the column and check for binding there. I suspect it will be the gear box, but I'm dreading it because it will be a pain in the ass to change out, with the pitman arm and fluid lines and all. Anyways if you're heard of this before, I'd appreciate any info.

Big_Ern
01-08-2005, 06:26 PM
I assume you've already check this, but what about the PS belt slipping or something? Mine does that when it gets wet.

Sambuca id da debil!

***The REAL Hairy White Ass!***

'89 4Runner w/ 33" Racing Slicks

DanB
01-08-2005, 06:45 PM
i havent seen it yet... i prob will see him sometime soon

boyzen
01-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Crimsen had a similar thing happen one time except it worked then didn't then worked then locked up one direction and was ok the other.ended up being the steering box.

...STUMP HUMPER...

pumpkin
01-08-2005, 09:31 PM
check the joints between the box and the colum also check the bearings in the colum.

jeeper
01-09-2005, 05:54 AM
What pumpkin said !

Especially if its the style with the t joint at the box end !The sliders in it may be riding up to high and binding !This could be from a body lift and him not lengthening the Rod from the column down !

MY MIND WORKS LIKE LIGHTNING. ONE BRILLIANT FLASH, AND IT'S GONE.

DanB
01-09-2005, 07:32 AM
its bone stock jeep and never wheeled with it... must be jeep engineer at it again :D

STranger
01-09-2005, 07:34 AM
sure its for a friend,dan.

i know you're just a closet jeep lover-i've seen you eyeing up mine!

i dont need people to get me,i just need people to get out of my way

Honky
01-09-2005, 09:22 AM
same thing happen to me. Jeck what pumpkin said

HWA(Harry Whiteass), AKA Kevin
--------
Don't play stupid with me...I'm better at it!

sj-x 500
01-09-2005, 10:13 AM
hrmm.. must be a jeep thing.
the rest of us don't get it

Zuk's on Ice.

DanB
01-09-2005, 10:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by STranger

sure its for a friend,dan.

i know you're just a closet jeep lover-i've seen you eyeing up mine!
i dont need people to get me,i just need people to get out of my way

what the hell so are u saying u have a jeep???????? shit.. why didnt u warn me before i applied a job there :D

i knew there was ford but i didnt think it was goin to be that bad as a jeep!!!! haha

i already shown the url to the owner of that jeep so he will probably take a look at it himself..