PDA

View Full Version : Holley square bore - accelerator pump

MetalMan
12-16-2004, 05:08 PM
Ok, I'm sooo close to getting my 81 Dodge Ram 4x4 on the road with it's now warmed-up 318, and the only thing stopping me is the damn carb. Apparently it sat too long and now the accelerator pump doesn't work. The carb is a square bore Holley 750 with vacuum secondaries. It looks like I can just pop off the housing under the front float bowl and replace it, but what exactly am I looking at with this? Just pop the cover off, pull out the old diaphragm, and replace it? Am I going to have gas pissing out when I open this up? All help is appreciated!

I'm not a drunkaholic, occifer...

boyzen
12-16-2004, 05:30 PM
you got it right, the float bowl will drain then just replace the diaphram and spring.

...STUMP HUMPER...

crimsen
12-16-2004, 05:35 PM
hopefully no fuel was left in it. if there was, it may have scummed up and be blocking the passage ways. had that happen with me once. fuckin sucks. but yours probly aint gonna have that.

------------------------
79 F150 custom
possi dana 44 under 4" BDS coils
welded 9" under 4" arched leafs.
4.56 gears
35x16 tsl boggers
351 m with edelbrock performer 400 intake and edelbrock 600 carb
on board air
np 205 T case
np 435 tranny

For Off Road Driving

78bronco
12-16-2004, 05:49 PM
best thing todo is throw out that holley and put a carter or a edelbrock on it

shit happens when being stupid

MetalMan
12-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Nah, I paid good money for that Holley. It's only got about 5 months worth of use on it, I had it on a Pontiac 400 I built back in high school. It's better than any other carb I've got (including the Holley spread bore I set on fire...) and it's better than buying another carb. Carter/Ebrock carbs aren't all they're cracked up to be anyways, a properly done out Q-Jet will outdo them. So the fuel bowl will empty, bummer, I was hoping for a somewhat mess-free job on this truck for once. Good to know, though, thanks for the help guys!

I'm not a drunkaholic, occifer...

78bronco
12-18-2004, 11:43 PM
Im not putting holley carbs down but if you havent noticed that every person who owns one is having problums holleys are great race carbs but for daily driving they suck. I went through such a hassle with mine between blowing powervalves and the secondarys not working I sold it and bought edelbrock the best for you to do is find a place that speciallizes in setting carbs up like CANADIAN CARBURATOR ask for darcy phone # is 604-949-0911 and there in port moody

shit happens when being stupid

she-can-2
12-19-2004, 12:44 AM
[h]

***GODDESS of "The Golf Carts Off Road Team" (rock crawling division)***