PDA

View Full Version : windshield wiper pump problem

godtool
11-28-2004, 05:12 PM
I had to unhook my windshield wiper washer fluid supply line to my windshield wiper pump because every time the wipers wipe, the pump jets spray on the windshield. To temporary fix this problem I disconnected the fluid line to the pump. Anyone have this similar problem. How did you fix it? Is it the pump or the dash switch. Or should I just throw in an aftermarket switch and pump? My truck is a 1981 GMC Jimmy. On my last trip, I had to pour our drinking water on the windshield.

Big_Ern
11-28-2004, 06:59 PM
Not sure how your pump runs, but i know a lot of them will burn out real quick if they don't have any fluid going through them since its also used to lubricate the moving parts etc.

Might be a better idea to go unhook (or cut) the wiring

I bet you just have a wire that is shorting out causing the spayer to be on all the time. I'd start by taking apart the steering colum to see if you can find anything obvious. Have fun with it -- I hate touble shooting electrical (Stupid Jeeps....)

Sambuca id da debil!

***The REAL Hairy White Ass!***

'89 4Runner w/ 33" Racing Slicks

boyzen
11-28-2004, 07:05 PM
those ones run off the wiper motor pump its very common for that to happen.You can go to the dealer and get a new one or just put an after market one inline.

godtool
12-03-2004, 11:55 AM
fixed

m j
12-03-2004, 06:20 PM
the plastic pump cam gets worn out and doesnt park
best way is the dealer kit for them IMO

78bronco
12-05-2004, 05:52 PM
its a chevy what do you want from it
same thing happend on my 81 chev I just put a seperate pump on it

shit happens when being stupid

godtool
12-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Pump is working good now. Put a whole entire unit on. Now the fast wiper speed does not work:(. The wipers seem to stutter and then stop on the fast speed. The slow speed works great! What now[?]

automan
12-11-2004, 10:58 AM
if you want i could look at it ,,,,,hopefully solve the prob i'm in abby ,,,,,let me know

bakelite
12-22-2004, 02:01 PM
Good info, thanks, mine is doing the same.[V]

True friends stab you in the front.

Trying to devibrate my 75 Chev.