PDA

View Full Version : differant kinds of dif gear sets

crimsen
09-02-2004, 06:08 PM
can someone explain exactly what each of the differant types of lockers are and how they work?

open
limited slip
posi
detroit
arb
welded
spool

etc.

i am wondering what is the best for offroad, and strictly that.

is welded since there is full power to both wheels at all time, and the detroit does similar, cept has better street manners?

and my truck is basically to and from wheeling is the only pavement it sees, so i care less about street manners

------------------------
79 F150 custom
open dana 44 under 4" BDS coils
welded 9" under 4" arched leafs.
3.57 gears
35x16 tsl boggers
351 m stock
np 205 T case
np 435 tranny

For Off Road Driving

BeerBaron666
09-02-2004, 06:24 PM
One word for you my friend.......

SPOOL!!!!!![36][36][36] Atleast in the back, really strong so you won't break it and know moveing part just some splines and a shaft, your truck is bacicly the same as my truck and I have a spool in the back and welded in the front and it seems to work for me:D But I would like to get some sort of selectable locker for the front, it get kind of tiring locking and unlocking the hubs so I can turn.

------------------------
"Ah, devil ether. It makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel. Total loss of all basic motor function. Blurred vision, no balance, numb tongue. The mind recoils in horror, unable to communicate with the spinal column. Which is interesting because you can actually watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't control it."-Raoul Duke

boyzen
09-02-2004, 06:42 PM
the best for off road is welded same as spool.until you get to do some snow side hills then you will wish you had open which is the tire with the least traction spins.Arb is great because you have the best of both worlds open and spool, until there happens to be a problem with an air line then it will only be open.detroit is great automatic locking the stongest locker out there it allows one wheel to turn faster that the ring gear but never slower this allows differentialing(HMMMM).POsi and limited slip are the same only different makes corporate and dana,they use clutches to allow some power to both wheels one will always get more and if you lift a tire it won't grip.

Image Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/boyzen/20048515427_ford.jpg
3.15KB

Nicker Bocker
09-02-2004, 08:42 PM
yeah full spool in the rear and a ARB in the front

74 FJ40, cb, warn hubs, sony explod sound system, warn 8274, camo bumper, and a cup holder..... soon to be rebuilt into a street legal moster truck.....Coastal Cruiser Member

STranger
09-03-2004, 02:38 AM
fuck that,weld the whole thing.who needs to turn anyways.

i dont need people to get me,i just need people to get out of my way

S15Andrea
09-08-2004, 07:43 AM
I welded my rear, I love it off road..and well it's the best price in town ;)
But since it's my DD I'm nicely wearing my tires out pretty quick. I get alot of looks from the noise, but oh well. I would keep it if i had the cash for new tires, but once I get the new ring and pinion in, i'm going to stick to open untill i can get a spool.
If it's just your wheeler and your short on cash, weld it. You won't regret it.