PDA

View Full Version : Well it all started Friday the 13th

Honky
08-17-2004, 06:46 AM
Well it all started Friday the 13th........... I should have known I was in for trouble!!!

I had a list of things I was fixing to get ready for the Whipsaw. I was coming back from getting my exhaust fixed when I heard a BANG! The Drivers side axle was now grinding. Luckly I was near Jeep thrills so I pulled in. I was leaving at 4:00pm and he was over booked but say he would fit me in somehow. When I arrived after work I drove to the gas station and there was still the grinding noise so I take it back and they fixed the wrong side.... DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Troy stays late and fixes up the correct side. What happened was the axle bearing blew up. Looking closer at the axle it now had a rig where the bearing seats. Troy was saying he didn't like putting this axle back in the Jeep but running out of time the new bearing was pressed in and I was on the road.

When we get to Hope I hear another BANG! but decide to drive up to copper Creek campsite knowing that BCAA would tow my sorry ass home if I couldn't drive it.

When we get to the campsite it turns out my Detroit Locker decided to blow up! A call the next day to Jeep Thrills and they send me a "care package" that included an carrier,gasket and oil.

That night had a great time drinking wrenching and weld-locking the new diff.

Saturday morning we all packed up and heading for the Whipsaw and arrived at Well's lake our 2nd camp spot.

Sunday and we're on the trail home when Pegleg's shackle breaks so we hook up the welder and Darryl patches it up. Then it breaks again and this time Darryl puts a log under it to get it to Loadstone lake. On the way I get a flat tire and when I take the drum off we noticed that they axles is pulling out again! Fuck it put the spare tire on and head to Loadstone lake. When we arrive and break out the welder again. I pull the axle out while Darryl welds up Pegleg's Shackle and spot welds the bearing to the axle. A few miles down the road I loose brakes! I pull over and take the tire off again to find the bearing blow up again and this time took out part of my drum brake!

Darryl puts the brake back together and I limp to Coalmont and that is as far as the Jeep can make it. I call BCAA and they tow me to Hope. Without finding a trailer I decided to spend the night and try and organize things in the morning.

BCAA will not tow on the same problem from the same spot. I know this but I went for the "Hail Marry shot" I phone them up and said I was on the Hwy and needed a tow. When they said a truck was on the way I jumped out of the Hotel room and limped to the HWY just passed the on ramp. Well they sent two trucks. The first guy was a real prick looking at my Jeep for holes in my story so they would not have to tow me. When I said the rear end was a new problem and I replaced the front U-joint he looks at my lugnuts and said Bullshit they're still dirty so they are not going to tow me and got in their trucks and took off.

I got the Jeep back to Hope grinding all the way and called Craig at Jeep Thrills that said I could use his trailer. Lyle picked it up and drove back to pick me up and I finally get home around 5:00pm Monday

I would like to thank everyone that helped out and especially Darrly for leading the way in all the welding and fixes. [3][3][3][3]

I have lots of great pictures but my since my computer crashed it has been slowing me down a bit. I should have some pics up tonight.

--------
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing

Hey listen to my song!!
http://www.bitoffun.com/Notes/Hairass.mp3

phatmatt
08-17-2004, 06:56 AM
Bet your happy to be home.

Where was I?

Papa Pete
08-17-2004, 07:01 AM
Glad your home Kev and even with all the carnage it was a great trip

And ya special kudos to Darryl for all the wrenching[5] and Aaron for all the trail food, Hambergers Trail Catering rocks[36].

[3]

imported_n/a
08-17-2004, 07:05 AM
sucks to be you!!
to bad man...i think the problem was it is a JEEP!lol

EIEIO
08-17-2004, 07:15 AM
Glad to see your back and okay. Kinda glad I didnt go up, cause I think I woulda been on the road with ya.

My rig is smaller than yours!!

Dustbin
08-17-2004, 07:20 AM
oh well shit happens but still sounds liek a fun adventure

Dont mind me im just getting loaded

Jeep Junkie
08-17-2004, 07:30 AM
Glad to hear you made it back OK. Now you know to wash your lug nuts before you call BCAA for the second time! That sucks they left you in Hope. BCAA = Dickheads

Cookie
08-17-2004, 08:14 AM
damn what a weekend kinda glad i didnt go / i would hate to have another problem to tend to.

welcome back[41]

ez_b
08-17-2004, 08:17 AM
welcome back kev, sounds like a shitty deal with bcagay bcaa=[1d]'s

ya gots ta lick it befores ya stab it!
don't hate the player hate the game!

Honky
08-17-2004, 08:23 AM
It was a good adventure. I knew I was outside the rules with BCAA but I thought I'd try. They sure don't make any money from me I use most if not all my tow's a year for myself and others.

I can't fault them for turning me down and I was expecting it but thought I would try. Time to upgrade my membership to the Premier.

--------

Hey listen to my song!!
http://www.bitoffun.com/Notes/Hairass.mp3

mista fitz
08-17-2004, 08:34 AM
damn kevin - glad I decided not to go actually, it would have been a bad show for the cj5's - instead I drove over to tofino for some rum, I mean, surfing.. axle seal was pissing on pass. side about 1/2 way back, but made it back alright, discovered shattered gears on front diff the nite before I left too... sooo... still like the AMC20 axle? or do we both have a project in the works?

In The Zone
08-17-2004, 08:51 AM
:D
Glad to here ur back home.....

I hope u get the jeep back in order...[36]

I have a spare 8.8 rear end....
it is yours just let me know...[3]

It is Parked and under construction....
Soon to be on a trail near U

Honky
08-17-2004, 08:53 AM
Oh yeah to top it all off I was putting my window down and I put a little pressure on the glass and it now has a nice spider web on it

--------

barracuda
08-17-2004, 08:53 AM
I think it might be time to move up to a beefier axle.

"A level" mobile welder
migImage Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/barracuda/200361401938_scan0001.jpg
32.46 KB

,tig,alum spool,stick
rates start at $65 an hr
welder rental from $125 per day

The way to a mans heart is through his zipper!!!

Honky
08-17-2004, 08:55 AM
I just talked to Jeep thrill and the carrier was a Posi so we didn't need to weld it ...DOH!!!!!

Anyone looking for a locked carrier for a rear of their Jeep?

$200.00

--------

Princess
08-17-2004, 09:06 AM
sounds like quite the adventure was had. good to see you're all back safely though...:D

J E E P
Best 4X4XFAR

....o_o_o_o
./| ,[_____],
|ŻŻŻL--O|||||||O_
()_)Ż()_) ŻŻŻ )_)

I have gone to great lengths to expand my thresh-hold of pain. ~ Henry Rollins ~

STranger
08-17-2004, 09:18 AM
wish i could have gone-i would have had a ball dissin jeeps on that trip!

i dont need people to get me,i just need people to get out of my way

godzuka
08-17-2004, 10:40 AM
it sure didn't look like a posi to me[2]. oh well now its a mexican posi[5]. I know where you can get a dodge 8.25 if you want it[35]. it should be about the right width for your jeep[35]er. its out of a 2002 dakota.

It may only be a samurai but it's still better than your jeep.
***President of "The Golf Carts Off-Road Team" (mud running chapter)***http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/feiertage/feiertag-smiley-014.gif
Beer is the only thing a man can swallow without being gay.

ez_b
08-17-2004, 10:44 AM
daryl, you're a [35].

ya gots ta lick it befores ya stab it!
don't hate the player hate the game!

wade and cleatus
08-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Glad to hear your back in one piece Kev [3]
As for the jeep, glad to hear its back too, one piece or not [f]

It was tight the first 3 or 4 times
But after that i guarantee the insides were rearranged!

Shera
08-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Bet your glad to be home and bright side of this , at least it wasn't pissen down raining on the trip ; but did you have enough beer .Can't wait to see the pictures of the trip we missed . Will the jeep be back on the road soon ?

Bitchin is good for the soul

Honky
08-17-2004, 11:43 AM
Not sure when the Jeep will be back on the road this was an expensive trip

Total damage:

35" BFG tire sidewall slash used $75.00
Front Window broken 200?
Broken Detroit $60.00 (to replace the broken part)?
Purchased $200 carrier
Waren long shaft one piece axle $150
Oil and miss $ 15.00
axle bearing and seal install one side from Jeep Thrills $350.00
rear diff housing $100.00 ???
axle bearing and seal -- this time I'll do it myself $60.00?????
night in the no tell motel $75.00

Total $1285

Driving with the top off and front window down in a sudden down pour of rain on the Whipsaw, while Ann and I are drinking beers and laughing our faces off ------ Priceless [36]

--------

Shera
08-17-2004, 11:50 AM
That price tag hurts but at least everyone made it out okay.

On the Zone
08-17-2004, 11:56 AM
Ouch!...but did you have enough beer[?]

Jello Shooters.....their good for the soul!

Shera
08-17-2004, 11:57 AM
He doesn't seem to want to tell us about the beer maybe it was "SAMBUCCA time again "[8D]

phatmatt
08-17-2004, 12:14 PM
Probably didn't have enough money for beer after all those repairs!:(

Where was I?

T.O.
08-17-2004, 12:25 PM
That Harry's A great guy.
He always has a way of making everyone elses problems seem that much easier to handle.

Thanks Harry.:D

"I'm not here to be helpful" http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/toddler/200481402759_wako.gif

"They say i've got A.D.D., but I don't think...Hey look, a nickel!"

lizard
08-17-2004, 12:43 PM
what the hells wrong with the towtruck guys??? its like there paying for the tow..... dickheads

STranger
08-17-2004, 12:48 PM
$350 for a bearing install on one side?wow,now i know why im always broke.i dont think i could keep a straight face charging that much!

wow!

T.O.
08-17-2004, 12:55 PM
Oh, Oh. I can answer this question since I was towing junk for Six years.
When I showed up to tow some ones car(or Jeep)I would be all happy to help(and no not because of my caring personality)It was because I worked on commission, So I was going to make money.
Your friends at BCAA have contracts with towing company's all over Canada(including the company I worked for)And in that contract they get a set price for towing a car or any other service call you could dream up. That set price is way cheaper than any other customer.
Therefor why would A tow truck driver wanna tow a car(or Jeep)all the way to Cloverdale from Hope when they could stay local and get paid a real working persons wage.
Spoken from personal experiance. [!]BCAA and their costomers

"I'm not here to be helpful" http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/toddler/200481402759_wako.gif

"They say i've got A.D.D., but I don't think...Hey look, a nickel!"

jeeper
08-17-2004, 01:03 PM
Hey Daryl

I didnt look very closley at it but it could have been a track loc ---They were the "possi" that came in the eaton 20's ,,Just small clutch packs in behind the side gears ,,, Soin the light of a lantern it would have been hard to tell ! I didnt even think to look ,,they were a usless possi anyways -very little grab even if you shim them hard !

Honky
08-17-2004, 01:06 PM
I ran out of beer at Wells lake. I had a 30 pack but was gladly sharing with the people that were helping on the Jeep repares on Friday night

--------

godzuka
08-17-2004, 01:07 PM
I told you that you could have some more of my beer.

It may only be a samurai but it's still better than your jeep.
***President of "The Golf Carts Off-Road Team" (mud running chapter)***http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/feiertage/feiertag-smiley-014.gif
Beer is the only thing a man can swallow without being gay.

Honky
08-17-2004, 01:58 PM
I know and so did other people... I thought I would try the sober thing... OK now that I've tried that I'll know better for next time

[31][31][31][31][31][31][31][31]

--------

Pegleg
08-17-2004, 02:01 PM
glad to see your back safely

your mom has gold nipples

tough_trucks
08-17-2004, 02:36 PM
all that money spent for fun and one hell of an adventure story
I think it's well worth it

if at first it don't fit hit it with a hammer.... if that don't work try a BIGGER hammer

t_and_a6
08-17-2004, 02:39 PM
Sounds like me on aug long weekend. On the sunday just before Lodestone I busted my trans, transfer case coupler pullin out my buds Ford and the heinz 57 guys luckily came and pulled him 0ut he then proceded to tow me in 2 wheel drive because his front diff was busted(reason he was stuck!) goin up one of the hills we couldn't get up it, Thanks to Dale and his wife in the big blue chev they came at 11pm and pulled me to lodestone. Camped and got pissed at lodestone and in the morning pulled my truck via strap all the way to tulameen to a friends cabin and had to go up with a flat deck the next weekend to get it. Damn Fords!

82 GMC SB, 4" susp, 35" BFG mudders. Bla bla bla bla bla!!!

Winch
08-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Just want to thank everyone for a great trip. It was nice meeting all of you, and hopefully we can hook-up again someday. Sorry to hear about the hefty pricetag, Kevin. Thanks again. Gary

'96 Tacoma 3.4L, 5speed, Rear E-locker, 2" lift, 33's, 8000 Warn

jeeper
08-17-2004, 05:08 PM
HEy T and a6

Must be a ford and whipsaw thing !

Theres an old story going around about dragging a ford explorer all the way from Wells to coalmont (ford had no drive at all )

F150HULK
08-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Sorry to hear about that ruogh trip Kev. I know how you feel on those expensive everything breaks trips.
Now you should brew beer at a brewery like I do so you can aford to fix your truck.
Thanks for the tape stacker it works awsome[36] I know your broke now so stop over for a couple of cold ones on me.[31][31][31]

The money pit rolls again.

lizard
08-17-2004, 05:17 PM
I quess this is why jeeper dosnt want to get his EEP going.

Goatz
08-17-2004, 05:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by lizard

I quess this is why jeeper dosnt want to get his EEP going.

[15][15]

its good that you are back at least you had i good time

mista fitz
08-17-2004, 05:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by HARRY WHITEASS

axle bearing and seal -- this time I'll do it myself $60.00?????

let me know when you decide to do that... I'd really like to learn... I haven't even wheeled my truck since the rear axle seal was replaced 7-8 months ago, and its totally gone again, probably fucked my brakes right up again too :(

so lets get together and talk about how good our AMC20 axles are [16]

sean

Honky
08-17-2004, 06:23 PM
sounds good. I need to add up the cost to fix the junk AMC20 or go to a 8.8 Ford diff

to fix the AMC20:

one piece axle 150
diff 100
fix detroit $60.00
new bearing $60.00

so give or take $400.00

I have no idea on the Ford 8.8 just a guess
8.8 with disc brakes abd 4:10 gears $500
Detroit $800
selling mine -$500
labour to weld the perches $80.00 ????
then there is cutting down the axle or replacing my front to a wider axle

lots to research still and these numbers are just out the top of my head

--------

jeeper
08-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Hey Sean

Ille give you a hand with your axle seals ,,,,

There must be something wrong if the seal is shot again after only 8 months tho ! When you did them last did you see the condition of your seal race(or whatever that area is called )

sj-x 500
08-17-2004, 07:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by HARRY WHITEASS

labour to weld the perches $80.00 ????
then there is cutting down the axle or replacing my front to a wider axle

--------

labour to weld new perches? i'm sure you know SOMEONE with a welder and a tape measure???

it's 200 bucks to cut down an axle tube + axle. but then you have to carry a modified spare axle for that side.

i'd sooner go with a wider front axle.

zuk: being prepared for total tear down. yota's 5.29's arb's.
ford: it drives.

STranger
08-18-2004, 03:06 AM
dont cut the axle down-use one from an explorer with wheel adapters.this works very well,you get the 31 spline axle,disk brakes,and it is already the right width.ive had some folks worry about the adapters but i have several customers using them(for real wheeling)and there have been no problems.

Honky
08-18-2004, 09:25 AM
The 8.8 works well for the YJ as they are wider and have the same wheel bolt pattern. I had Ann Check at her work I could get a 8.8 with disk brakes and 4:10 gears for $500.00

They I would been to cut down the axles $200.00and install a Locker $400.00

so around $1200.00

so far to get my rear end up and running Jeep Thrills said they would No charge me the Diff
I would need to buy the Axle $150.00 and bearing $50.00 fix the locker $60.00 and miss expenses $ 60.00

so around $ 350.00

--------

mista fitz
08-18-2004, 09:26 AM
the wheel adapters are fine I think, its the spacers that suck, cuz then you're only threading your lug nuts on so far...

mmmmm... disc brakes...