PDA

View Full Version : Locker question.

EIEIO
07-23-2004, 06:06 AM
Well I figured this is my next upgrade. I had a look at Lockrite lockers but it only says for a SJ410/Samurai. They are for a reasonable price, but I dont wanna get them if its not gonna work (obviously). I also heard they have a lifetime warranty on the lockrites (maybe im wrong). So yah, any input would be awesome. Oh yah and I was just gonna weld up the front end seeing as the only time I use it is when im wheeling (if this is a bad idea, let me know and explain please). Thanx in advance.

My rig is smaller than yours!!

EIEIO
07-23-2004, 06:56 AM
Oh yah and I daily drive it as well. Keep that in mind.

sj-x 500
07-23-2004, 08:06 AM
running a welded rear isn't half as bad as some people think it is. drive slowly in town, and it's not too hard on tires

84 sj410 with 16v w/EFI, auto 4-spd, 5.13gears, detroit ez locker rear, 14 inches wider then stock, 31x10.50 mickey thompson baja claws, 6 + inches of lift
broken u-joint count: 2

currently running on: mickies. love these things

EIEIO
07-24-2004, 12:33 PM
I dont have a problem forken out the coin for a proper locker in the rear. Just choices is where I am looking at. The Lockrite look like a good choice. But do ya know if its fine to run a welded in the front. I drive about 60-100km's a day in the damn thing so tire life can get kinda expensive, Ive noticed my Mud Kings are kinda crappy as it is.

sj-x 500
07-24-2004, 03:31 PM
i ran mickey thompson baja claw radials to and from kelowna for 3 months, before i blew the pinion up, but before that, my ez locker was used for 2 months, then it crapped out on me.

what i'm gettin at is that the ez locker is pricy but not really worth it. it still bangs and chirps your tires as is, the welded unit is just more predictable.

84 sj410 with 16v w/EFI, auto 4-spd, 5.13gears, detroit ez locker rear, 14 inches wider then stock, 31x10.50 mickey thompson baja claws, 6 + inches of lift

sj-x 500
07-24-2004, 04:32 PM
oh, btw, the best way to do it. yota's with an arb.

zuki4x4chick
07-25-2004, 06:43 PM
Welded Toy axles front and rear will do the trick :D

We don't notice the welded diffs(in my BF's truck) as much as my E-Z locker that I have in my rear end. The E-Z locker is very un-predictable in many conditions. The E-Z locker however is different than many lockers.

Due to the weight of our trucks, welded is the best bet. (In my opinion of course)

Spend the money on toy axles+5.29's and just weld em up..[5]

Draw-back to welding the front-steering is more difficult w/o power steering....

ARB's (I have been told by many) are over-rated. Especially price !!!

My buddy with his Samurai goes ANYWHERE and I mean anywhere with his
Toy axles w/ 5.29's and Welded fr.+rear + kicker 2 dual t-case +35's.

He won the "Modified truck challenge" if that's any indication that the welded diffs work .

P.S. All of our trucks including the Sammy are Daily drivers.....;)

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

91' Zuki Tracker w/33's warn 8000, custom COLT camshaft, roof rack, snorkel, Rancho 9000's, Sammy front axle SAS SPOA fully locked!!! *Suzuki's continue to impress the non-beleivers*
-Pirate 4x4

sj-x 500
07-25-2004, 07:55 PM
arb's are not over rated. i got 2 of em on my yotas. believe me, it's nice to be able to line up for an obstacle, and not pull an austin powers *back and forth back and forth* lockers in the front end are sweet, they pull more then some people think. also, slippery side hills are the shits with a welded unit. rocks are the same welded or open, locked or what ever, as for charistics and wanting to slide sideways. i've been in places with my quad *2wd, solid axle across the rear* that i've litterly had to go across sideways because the non differentiating rear end was fuckin off on me down the hill.

and hoo.. my two bits. between a welded unit and an ez locker. i'd still weld it.

phatmatt
07-26-2004, 07:38 AM
I had a Locrite in my samurai and it was good for about 6-8 months and then it got noisey and annoying. I would spend the money to get it welded.

Where am I?

In The Zone
07-26-2004, 08:55 AM
Weld it!!!!

It' a FORD need I say More.....It drinks lots of Gas,Chews Tire's and eat's BUSH

Locked and sittin on 36"tsl SuperSwampers

StinkFinger
07-26-2004, 12:26 PM
holly fuck bat man people making sense 529 and littl bit o weldin rod add some toyota diffs and throw er at a suzuki hey travis i think ive been tellin ya this for a wile now just fawking do it

giv me a call

If you'r gona do'er pound'er

jeep, it's just a penis extension for people who really wanted suzukis

Quote of the week:
Dear diary jack pot gigity gigity

EIEIO
07-26-2004, 10:52 PM
gimme a phone # =) We should go to springs or sumthin.