PDA

View Full Version : went to the darkside

ba 302
06-07-2004, 09:01 AM
well I just bot a 1978 chevy 4x4 off a buddy for $600, I could'nt pass it up the 350 was recently rebuilt and he slapped on a edelbrock performer intake a 650cfm edelbrock carb,and I also pic up a msd cd ignition from him today the truck just tans and thats hard to say coming from a ford guy, the running gear is all half ton, the only shitty part is that it's full time 4wheel and I can see this may be a big problem with gas milage,u-joints,tire wear and what else that will arise with fulltime 4wheel,so I was wondering if anyone has owned one of these style and whats involved in changing it over to manuel locking hubs. any info will help thanks

STranger
06-07-2004, 09:37 AM
milemarker makes a parttime kit for the 203case that is good quality,cheap andeasy to install.they also have hubs,or you can use warns or oem.the whole job takes about two hours.

go big or go home

u2slow
06-07-2004, 12:42 PM
You can probably find an entire 203 with a kit in it for less than that kit costs new.

If its just a trail bitch I wouldn't worry about the full-time business.

If it will see lots of highway driving, just pull the slugs & front driveshaft, and drive in "Hi Loc".

STranger
06-07-2004, 01:26 PM
the kit is less than $100 and a hell of a lot easier to put in than lugging a 300 pound hunk of scrapiron out and back in again.the kit doesnt require pulling the case.if money is that big an object used hubs can be picked up cheap,but with new ones less than $100 i wouldnt bother.a lot easier than pulling the shaft all the time,plus running around in lo-loc will kill the t-case.

i dont need people to get me,i just need people to get out of my way

m j
06-07-2004, 04:20 PM
quote:plus running around in lo-loc will kill the t-case

what will it kill? assuming you meant "hi loc"

ba 302
06-07-2004, 09:40 PM
I figured the kit would be pricee but $100 bucks is'nt bad at all. So whats in volved in the install of this parttime kit, also if I find a 203 t-case do I still need a parttime kit or do I just need a automatic to manuel hub kit? thanks for the info all.

STranger
06-08-2004, 02:54 AM
mj is right,i did mean hi lock..small brain fart there.if your chevy is fulltime,it has a 203 case in it.the kit goes in through the tailshaft housing,and requires no special tools or knowledge to install.a 1 5/16 socket for the yoke nut is the hardest tool to come by for most home mechanics,but someone should have one around you.the instructions for the kit are very clear,and if followed properly there will be no problem with the install.as for mj's other question,the locking mechanism on the center differential in the 203 was never designed to handle the load of driving through only one side(rear or front only)and if used this way it will eventually tear the engagement teeth from it.then even a part time kit will not work.

ba 302
06-08-2004, 08:44 PM
hey thanks for the advise I will let you know how I made out.

STranger
06-09-2004, 03:39 AM
no probs.ive done a million of these things.t cases are one of my specialties.