PDA

View Full Version : Whats going on this weekend?

Big_Ern
06-03-2004, 01:58 PM
So whats the plan for this weekend?? Anyone got some idea on trails they want to run? or just go exploring somewhere maybe?

My insurance is up this sunday and I'm not sure if I'm gonna renew it, so this might be my last chance to wheel for a while. :( I wnat to get a cheap little beater to drive to work so I can do a few things to my truck -- like swap in a 3.4L toy engine :D and throw some chevy springs out back, and a few other little things. I'm gonna look into day insurance, but I'll have to see how much thats gonna cost me.

So who's up for running a few trails or finding a nice spot to go have lunch and a few beers again? [3]

'89 4Runner w/ 33" Swampers

wade and cleatus
06-03-2004, 02:56 PM
I would be but i need to try to save some $, and my cardon joint is screwed, and i dont know where to get it rebuilt either. My carb is pretty hooped too, the truck will hardly maintain freeway speed.

I hit a tree out of nowhere
It jumped in front of my car
I was headin home from the pow-wow
And lookin for a bar
I dont need no fricken street map
I dont use the streets at all

ToyotaHEAD
06-03-2004, 03:22 PM
quote:my cardon joint is screwed,

Does it make a KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK sound even when your going in a straight line? I have had no luck with my carden either. Once I put the lift into the truck I was blowing them every 2months'ish. Sloppy like grand-ma-ma [14]

So what I ended up doing was grabbing the front driveshaft out of a newer IFS truck. (90'-95' are a good choice) The carden is way more beefy, and so is the ball and spring in the middle. However!!! the IFS carden does not flex as much. But if you grind open the HYoke where it touches you can get it to flex just as much. Ever since I did this to mine, I have had no more problems.

Note: I would grab the entire driveshaft and companion flanges. On the new trucks 89+ went to 14mm bolts. ;) Also you will most likely need to get the IFS driveshaft shortened.

It is either that or go with just a single UJoint at the top, and lengthen your driveshaft.

81' Toyota, 2.5L 22RE, Celica EFI retro'd in, 10" of lift, TSL 35x16 Boggers, 437 gears, Rear Detroit Locker, G52 Tranny, BULL BOLLZ!
http://wickidmachines.com/content/images/rock%20flex.jpg

Big_Ern
06-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Come on all you web wheeling fags, lets get out there and do something this weekend! [22]

Seriously, someone's gotta want to go for a run tomorrow or sunday?[3]

ToyotaHEAD
06-04-2004, 10:16 AM
I'd go but I am in Kelowna... Kinda puts a hamper on things with gas being so $$$

81' Toyota, 2.5L 22RE, Celica EFI retro'd in, 10" of lift, TSL 35x16 Boggers, 437 gears, Rear Detroit Locker, G52 Tranny, BULL BOLLZ!

In The Zone
06-04-2004, 11:04 AM
:D Hey i would love to get out but I got both boys not a problem ...

But the wife has my Truck:(

I am going to put a 4" suspension lift in her Bronco this weekend.

MMMbeer wrenching Tunes......[5]

Good luck and have fun...

It' a FORD need I say More.....It drinks lots of Gas,Chews Tire's and eat's BUSH

Locked and sittin on 36"tsl SuperSwampers

wade and cleatus
06-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Is there any way to use my shaft and put the newer cardon and u-joints on it? Ive got the square shaft, i dont really want to get rid of it. I'd worry about a single u-joint, the angle is on the verge of being severe, even with just a 4 inch lift.

And lookin for a bar

In The Zone
06-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Het wade use some shims to offset your pinion angle...

It' a FORD need I say More.....It drinks lots of Gas,Chews Tire's and eat's BUSH

ToyotaHEAD
06-04-2004, 11:59 AM
So your one of "those" people running around with the infimous square shaft... [15]

To answer your question about reusing your DS. No unfortunaly not. The newer carden is bigger in diameter, also center to center of the ujoints it is longer. Plus the pin the center ball rides on is bigger in diameter. 3 strikes... I know I tried with mine as well. :(

The wedges arnt a bad idea. Tip up the pinion "a little" dont go to high for obvious reason. And truth be know. A single U-Joint will flex a larger angle than a carden. I know it sounds dumb, but if you try it you will see for yourself. I do agree there will be some vibrations if you went with a single U-Joint, but I have seen it done on a number of Toy's without incident. And I mean BIG TOYS.

To make the single ujoint work at the top take appart the carden. throw it ALL away. Grind off the spigit for the center ball. Then simple get another flange (like the one on your diff) to mate to the Tcase. Again... You will need to lengthen your driveshaft for this. Approx 3".

wade and cleatus
06-04-2004, 01:52 PM
Hmm, i think i have enough length in the ol shaft to pull that off, and being a square shaft gives some vibration anyhow. Im going to give it a bit more thought. So what happens if i ignore the knocking noise?

And lookin for a bar

wade and cleatus
06-04-2004, 01:53 PM
Oh, Big_Ern, sorry for hi-jacking you thread, at least were keeping it ttt, and some good yota lernin too!

And lookin for a bar

Big_Ern
06-04-2004, 04:51 PM
Thats alright Wade. I just found out my insurance was up today (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6278), and not sunday, so I doubt I'll be going 4x4ing anyway... [j]

In The Zone
06-04-2004, 05:59 PM
Hey at least u found out and not the man....

Big_Ern
06-04-2004, 07:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by In The Zone

Hey at least u found out and not the man....

Ya I got lucky -- if it weren't such a nice day out today I would have never found out [2]

Scared me at first tho, b/c I thought today was the 5th, and the sticker says 4, so that woulda sucked having to waste money on day insurance just to get raped again at aircare[13]

ToyotaHEAD
06-04-2004, 10:43 PM
quote:

Hmm, i think i have enough length in the ol shaft to pull that off, and being a square shaft gives some vibration anyhow. Im going to give it a bit more thought. So what happens if i ignore the knocking noise?

[8D] Nothing like having a few extra inches in the ol'shaft [1c]

I let mine get quite bad the last time. It never did all out fail. It just sounded HORRIBLE! I think the main problem of letting it get that bad is that it pounds on output bearing(s) of your Tcase. I have been told that if you pack into the HYoke an old shop rag.. Pack it in there right tight with a screwdriver or somthing. That will keep the clunking to a minimum, and it will still get you by. Personally though I have never tried it. (Basically that clunking you hear/feel is the HYoke itself moving up and down. If you push upwards on it you will find that it clunks, much like a worn out bearing. Compare this to a known good shaft to see the differance.)

Wade it sounds like your in the same situation I was in lastyear. And it sux cuz really the angle really isnt that bad. I rebuilt my stock shaft like 3 times and had it professionally rebuilt 1. All 4 times it failed withen 2 months. This IFS one I have now I have been running on for a year without a peep from it. If I were you and wanted to keep my $ down. I would try to pack the HYoke with a rag to get you by. And save up a few bux for the IFS shaft. That is if you wanted to keep the Carden.

I have been meaning to take some pix of my rig so ppl can comment on what I might need to fix before I go in on my VI. I will take a few pix of the DS setup and how I got it to work. Maybe you will see somthing I have forgotten to tell ya???

wade and cleatus
06-07-2004, 09:00 AM
Thanks for all the info, it works good on the rocks right now, just not at speed. Im hoping to get under there on wed. and do some measuring, If it wont stretch far enough i can always get it lengthened and just run the u-joint. The bearing issue was my thought as well, chain reaction sucks.

And lookin for a bar