PDA

View Full Version : VERY LOOSE BOX !

mista fitz
05-07-2004, 11:07 AM
now that I have your attention,

we're talking about a power steering box here, just to get your mind outta the gutter.

so, one of the 3 bolts holdin it to the frame of my truck has decided to break off, *inside the frame* - and the nut is inaccessible - so whats the best course of action?

my best guess is to cut open the frame a bit, stick a new nut n' bolt in there, but I guess I should have to worry about mending the 'access hole' that I need to cut..

anyone have any better ideas? I have very limited tools, and would rather not take it to the shop for what seems like an easily solved problem.

also, craig @ jeep thrills is having trouble with his supplier to get me a steering box brace, anyone know another reliable source, or would it be cheaper to have one fabbed up (theres a lot of welders on this site)?

thanks for your input! if you see a jeep wandering 6 feet left and right down the highway, thats me, and no, I haven't been drinkin! [3]

Jeepnut
05-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Shawn,Bring it to my place on Tuesday Matt will be there and we will see what we can do.If you want you can copy mine.

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/harry whiteass/2004325174524_stir.gif
If it's not trail rated....It's not a JEEP

mista fitz
05-07-2004, 11:32 AM
perfect, this thing steers itself right now, yikes

Jeepnut
05-07-2004, 11:36 AM
Tuesday...bring beer if the stores still have any.[3]

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/harry whiteass/2004325174524_stir.gif
If it's not trail rated....It's not a JEEP

Honky
05-07-2004, 11:40 AM
Clint is the guy that makes them

Serious Metal Fabricating
1514 Bay
North Vancouver, BC
604-988-7761

I have broken one already but they are better then not having one. There is an even better solution. A new steering brace. I have the phone number at home but it's in the US and I'm not sure of the cost.

The bolts also broke off on mine...must be a Jeep thing. What Mat at Jeep thrills did was to weld a piece of wire to the end of the bolt and then snake it in. Works like a charm.

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/rusty_yellowjeep/20021213115926_dans.gif Are we having FUN IN B.C. yet?
Hey listen to my song!!
http://www.bitoffun.com/Notes/Hairass.mp3

mista fitz
05-07-2004, 11:44 AM
cool idea threading the bolt in! thanks, we might have to try that one. yeah, I know about clint, but he should return calls if he wants to stay in the biz!

jeeper
05-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Hey Shawn ,,

Saw you pulling out of the Chevron in the meadows earlier this afternoon (about 4) ! It was RAINING and you still didnt have your top on,,, Did you have a bikini top on?

....o_o_o_o
./| ,[_____],
|ŻŻŻL--O|||||||O_
()_)Ż()_) ŻŻŻ )_)
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

T.O.
05-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Tuesday eh?
This an open invite?
I could laugh at the Jeep that belongs to Mista, and take some picsa.

"I'm not here to be helpfull"

cjMike
05-07-2004, 06:33 PM
Shaun have you thought about putting sleeves inside the rail up to the top and then placing a plate on top of the frame? Idea is that you would have one long bolt up through the frame and steering box mount![3]

mista fitz
05-08-2004, 06:47 PM
ah, yea, I sorta thought of that, going right through to the top, but thought it wouldnt be as strong with such a long bolt, but with your sleeve idea, I'm sure it would be! ...
hmmm
I might have a chance to tool around with it at a friends house tomorrow, we'll see what happens..

-- oh yea, left my bikini top at home and it started pissin, but I've got underground parking a block away from there.. np ;) gotta rinse the interior anyways [:p]

u-can-2
05-08-2004, 10:33 PM
Jeeps [16] It's not YOUR fault !!!!![1e]

*** Keep Canada beautiful... Get Tattooed ***
*** I'm not only a member, but The President of "The Golf Carts Off-Road Team" *** (Rock Crawling Division)

mista fitz
05-10-2004, 02:48 PM
I can get out of work between 4-7 on tuesday, or after 8:30 - which should I aim for? usually noone shows up til later, but once the beer hits, not much actual work gets done.. hmmm

mista fitz
05-20-2004, 07:23 AM
update: lol, of course left it too long, all the moving around of the steering box has severed the return line for the power steering fluid... the box was leaking like hell anyways, so in goes a rebuilt power steering box today...

hey harry: clint still hasn't responded about the steering box brace, so I guess I'll deal with that at a later date or have something made..

Aaron
05-20-2004, 08:28 PM
nothing worse than a loose box.

Mofo

mista fitz
05-25-2004, 12:41 PM
ok, replaced box, and steering shaft too, both joints were buggared.... drop pitman arm etc..

anyways, on my 1st drive with it, I started braking from about 50km/h and the damn truck started shimmying all over the road! back and forth and back and forth ! (DAMN SCARY, no control AT ALL)

looked like the front tires were going to wobble right off the damn truck ! so anyways, more problems, and I have no idea what this is so far...