PDA

View Full Version : Samurai/Sidekick front F250 shock towers??

zuki4x4chick
04-29-2004, 11:57 AM
My left front shock tower ripped out of my frame yesterday at stave....Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem?
The shock tower was welded at the bottom and on the sides...Do these towers require more gussets/re-inforcing???? I think that I may have grinded the frame down too much after we cut the old strut towers out?.....Any advice always appreciated.... ThX..
Candace

91' Zuki Tracker w/33's warn 8000, custom COLT camshaft, roof rack, snorkel, Rancho 9000's, Sammy front axle SAS SPOA fully locked!!! *Suzuki's continue to impress the non-beleivers*
-Pirate 4x4

u-can-2
04-29-2004, 12:12 PM
I have F250 towers in the front of Sue. Been there 5 years, beat the shit out of em, no problems. They're welded on the bottom and sides and I welded some extra material to the sides of the towers as I had to knotch them a little and bash them into the wheel well for tire clearance.

Rich.[3]

*** Keep Canada beautiful... Get Tattooed ***
*** I'm not only a member, but The President of "The Golf Carts Off-Road Team" *** (Rock Crawling Division)

BeerBaron666
04-29-2004, 12:54 PM
Didn't you just get that front end put in? Take it back and freak out[13][13] or you could ask nice but what fun would that be:D

"It's not a fire untill your scared of it" -Stave proverb

"I see your using one of the better tasting glues" - Kelso

http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung0903/spezial/Sarge/MrT_anim.gifThat don't cheer for the RedWings

84 sj410
04-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Drill a 1" hole in the tower where it sits flat against the frame. Weld this area aswell. If you pull it off again you may have other probs. Have you checked shock travle? Too much up, too much down, for the length of shock. put a tie wrap where the body of the shock and the arm meet. Check it next time you get back, could suprise you. Mine looked fine on the ramp, but after a day of good abuse showed it was not. Good luck

" Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to...
Skid in sideway's, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body totally used up and worn out, screaming WOW- What a ride!!"

zuki4x4chick
04-30-2004, 05:41 AM
We did the SAS conversion ourselves, and were warned about these towers...the problem was not the welds, they held up...It was the frame that caved in where the shock tower is mounted bottom (I must have grinded the old strut tower material too much off the frame)....
The shock travel is not the problem....we have had these trucks on our forklifts and ramps many times for shocks....The tower is still ridgidly attached where the side welds are, and even the weld for the bottom, the frame just caved in??
I guess that we will weld a plate across the frame, re-mount the tower and gusset the shit out of it...:D

91' Zuki Tracker w/33's warn 8000, custom COLT camshaft, roof rack, snorkel, Rancho 9000's, Sammy front axle SAS SPOA fully locked!!! *Suzuki's continue to impress the non-beleivers*
-Pirate 4x4