PDA

View Full Version : mercury winch q's......

dexter302
04-19-2004, 08:38 PM
Well, i have an old winch, mercury mr10, or mr18. hard to tell. I assume that it is a either 10,000-18,000 pound winch?? it is a big ass bastard. What i want to know is, what capacity it would be if it is a mr10? or mr18? does anyone know? I do know that when ii had it on my old toy, i drug the whle truck along the groung with all 4 tires locked up, going up hill too... Are mercury good winch's? It used to be on a full size ford, and it pulled that thing out of some sticky situations too. any info would be appreciated, like amps, ft per min, recomended line size, how long of a line would fit and so on..

and no it is not for sale.....

Support your local red and white.

wade and cleatus
04-20-2004, 06:37 AM
You forgot to ask how to make it work when you need it, never mind in the driveway. The alum baseball bat trick only worked once.

Theres a place on this earth
my people call home
Theres hills and hollers everywhere
and lots of room to roam
Were noted for our hard times
in God's greatest creation
Were the people
of the hillbilly nation
-Charles Gearheart-

FU Toolbag
04-21-2004, 05:29 AM
They are dam neer indestructable, except if you wind the cable wrong, then they will blow their case apart. They are driven by the weakest chain you could imagine, but they feed a very strong planetary that also acts as your brake. With the exception of the solid case, they are one hell of a unit. The only difference between them that I've ever found is in the gearing.

OKOR[f]
not all men are pigs
some men are gay

richsworkshop
04-22-2004, 07:52 AM
I ended up with one, and was able to stumble across a parts winch as well!

Both of mine are 10000 lb units, and the guy I got it from also had the ORIGINAL paperwork IE manual with it. It came with all the drawings and dimensions on the parts and stuff. All I have had to do to mine really is swap electric motors. Looking at the internals and stuff, it's kinda neat how that thing works. (drawings help)

One thing with them is they are BIG and the roller fairlead is integral with the case. You can however change them from an upright to a.... well... reclined mount, depending on where and how you are mounting them.

Bummer is I broke one of the fairlead rollers off.....

Will probably cut the others off and have a seperate farilead.

Rich [}:)] (aka Stax)
"It's ALL GOOD!"

TTC 2003
Been there... done that... What a Blast!

FU Toolbag
04-22-2004, 09:13 AM
I broke one of the mounts off of mine as well. We just welded it back on. No problems yet.

OKOR[f]
not all men are pigs
some men are gay

dexter302
04-22-2004, 05:31 PM
well, this winch must have some pulling power, it has cable indents all up the fairleads from pulling... So i assume that it is a 10000 lbs wich?? it does say mr 10.
Rich, can you look up that model and tell me what it is rated?
Thanks...

Support your local red and white.

imported_n/a
04-24-2004, 10:21 AM
From searching the net ... "The winch was made by the Mercury Winch Company in Vancouver. The company went out of business in the mid seventies evidently."

Highly doubtful that you're going to find specs unless someone has a very old catalog.

64CJ6Willy
11-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Holy Resurrection FatMan!!!!

Just bought a Jeep J20 friday night for the donor rebuilt 360 and the 44/60 dana axle combos, and while doing a search for the "mr-10" winch on the front of it on the dubdubdub, and look where I wound up.

Now I know what it is, where it came from, and already tested that it works. Great option for a dealer add-on. Will makeoh yeah a great in frame rear winch for the CJ6! [36] [36] [36]

p.s. anyone got any info on this winch? It works great, but I'd like to service/rebuild it before the install.

Thanks.