PDA

View Full Version : diff breathers.

Punk in Drublic
04-15-2004, 07:15 AM
what are the diff breathers actually for. is it to dispense heat i the diff, or does it actually need air.

yesterday i noticed a noise coming from the rear end so i climbed under to taka look and i noticed my breather hose was torn off at the axle and was plugged solid with mud. could this of been the caose of the noise. i cleared it out but havent gone anywhee since.

87 f250 lifted beaten and abused with swampers

"he who laughs in the face of adversity is probably hammered"
its only gay if you return the favour

sj-x 500
04-15-2004, 07:34 AM
a breather alows for expansion and contraction of the gasses in the diff, what was happening is that it was clogged, and letting out the heat slowly, just make sure to relocate the lil prick nice and high so you don't suck some mud in your diff, water and oil don't mix

84 sj410 with 16v w/EFI, auto 4-spd, 5.13gears, detroit ez locker rear, 14 inches wider then stock, 31x10.50 mickey thompson baja claws, 6 + inches of lift
broken u-joint count: 2

currently running on: mickies. love these things

Jeepnut
04-15-2004, 07:37 AM
The breather is to vent the diff as the gear oil heats and any moisture to escape.You have to have them or you can blow axle seals.I mounted my rear up through the rear fender well and when that oil heats boy dose it smell.

Mmmmmmm gear oil...[^]

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/harry whiteass/2004325174524_stir.gif
If it's not trail rated....It's not a JEEP

T.O.
04-15-2004, 08:20 AM
quote:Mmmmmmm gear oil...[^]
The things that get some people going[16]

FEAR IS MY PLAYTOY

"Don't put your finger where you wouldn't put your tongue"
"Membership has its privileges"
83 Toyota on 33's
92 Dodge CTD stock

Punk in Drublic
04-15-2004, 08:59 AM
yea i had it running up between the bulkhead and cab but i guess i had it a little to tight cuz the shit got torn clean off. a little more slack this time i guess

wade and cleatus
04-15-2004, 11:21 AM
You better check the oil, if theres mud plugging the hose you probably got some muddy water in there. I imagine you have a d60, its got to suck to have to drain the oil in a 9 inch, i dont remember seeing a drain on those.

Theres a place on this earth
my people call home
Theres hills and hollers everywhere
and lots of room to roam
Were noted for our hard times
in God's greatest creation
Were the people
of the hillbilly nation
-Charles Gearheart-

Punk in Drublic
04-15-2004, 01:03 PM
its a 10.25. I got a 60 in the front but luckily that breather stayed on and well above water. yea iv already scrounged up a few litres but i think i'll be making a trip to lordco.

crimsen
04-20-2004, 04:38 PM
9"s aint that hard to drain, just drill a hole in the bottom, tap it out, and put a set screw in. what i did :)

think i may need it too after sinking my rear end (see the kelowna trip in trails section, page 3)

------------------------
79 F150 custom, 351 winsor, solid front on 4" BDS coils and solid read on 4" arched leafs. 35 tsl boggers

jeeper
04-20-2004, 05:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by crimsen

9"s aint that hard to drain, just drill a hole in the bottom, tap it out, and put a set screw in. what i did :)

think i may need it too after sinking my rear end (see the kelowna trip in trails section, page 3)

------------------------
79 F150 custom, 351 winsor, solid front on 4" BDS coils and solid read on 4" arched leafs. 35 tsl boggers

Thats a great idea there crimson,,, instead of having to replace the cover plate seal all the time ---Bruce

....o_o_o_o
./| ,[_____],
|ŻŻŻL--O|||||||O_
()_)Ż()_) ŻŻŻ )_)
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

crimsen
04-20-2004, 06:01 PM
just have to be careful you don't push to hard and when u break through, you may hit a gear inside, or there may be filing left inside. has mine done with the oil in. i would reccomend it this way. you can tell when you are almost through (oil will start to leak) and the flow of oil out will help take any metal bits out.

------------------------

In The Zone
04-21-2004, 06:41 PM
Ya but the proper way would be with the cover off because if ya gonna do it right.
you need to reinforce the hole then tap it ...
only problem I am not going to risk my rear on a .02 setscrew
a gasket is cheap and the job a simpeltons.. u need to do a visual on your gears any way.

Just my .02
shortcuts cost $$$$$

as for the breather tube well a hose clamp and some good fuel line make a awsome up grade.... then u can route it where it is gonna be secure and dry...
I suspended mine on one end with a spring so as they will flex with the suspension

and not pull to tight... u can also get check valves for cheap

It' a FORD need I say More.....It drinks lots of Gas,Chews Tire's and eat's BUSH

FU Toolbag
04-21-2004, 07:30 PM
If you insist on doing it with the diff still assembled, put some heavy grease on you drill so it will collect the shavings as opposed to getting them in the diff housing. That being said, that's the wrong way to fix this problem. Take your pumpkin out and wels a proper bung in there using a propper threaded insert, or in crimsins case, take that thing out and put in a d60, c14 or a ford 10.25.

OKOR[f]
not all men are pigs
some men are gay

Punk in Drublic
05-14-2004, 09:44 PM
10.25. thats what in her, I'm gunna weld er up soon.l its a big truck for welded diff but fuck it. its all about how far it goes.

87 f250 lifted beaten and abused with swampers....now with more dents

cheap dirtbike wanted.

lizard
05-15-2004, 05:23 AM
u can get earth magnets from LeeValley if u want to put in a magnet to collect the metal. U can get them any size an there the strongest in the world. there also in harddrives if u have a fucked one take it apart.

m j
05-15-2004, 08:02 AM
put a clear plastic fuel filter like a Fram G3 or G2 as your breather cap to keep junk out

Punk in Drublic
05-16-2004, 07:18 AM
ya we did that with my buddies truck.

87 f250 lifted beaten and abused with swampers....now with more dents

cheap dirtbike wanted.