PDA

View Full Version : Drop link shackles

got_mud
03-25-2004, 07:51 PM
Any one running with em? Looking for alittle more twist. Any opinions? Effects on handling on road? Any cons?

wade and cleatus
03-26-2004, 07:53 AM
Ive got them on my toyota but they dont do much, i think the springs wont twist enough to allow them to open much. Theyre fine on the road but they will unload if i go around a corner TOO fast, as in tires squealing at 50 kph. They'll also unload if i torque on it hard off the line but its no big deal, the rear end just lifts up about 3 or 4 inches.

Theres a place on this earth
my people call home
Theres hills and hollers everywhere
and lots of room to roam
Were noted for our hard times
in God's greatest creation
Were the people
of the hillbilly nation
-Charles Gearheart-

u-can-2
03-26-2004, 08:27 AM
I've had em in the rear for 3 years now. Adds more twist, but on gravel raods they bang and clang like crazy. On road, havn't noticed any cons, or pros for that matter. I don't even know they're there. As for Wade's comments about cornering; I don't think Suzukis corner as fast as him !!![11][8D]

All in all, I've found they do work on the trail, with no issues on the road, just a little noisy os FSRs.

Rich.[3]

*** Keep Canada beautiful... Get Tattooed ***

mista fitz
03-26-2004, 11:38 AM
I've had some home-made jobbies in the back since I've owned the truck, they don't twist like revolvers, but allow for quite a bit more droop with no adverse effect on the road - I never noticed any more noise even on gravel roads (given, there are always a lot of noises comin out of my jeep)

redwingfan_number19
04-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Are they a good idea for a stock sammi?
I find I flex out too easily, enough clearance for the places I've tried but not enough flex!! Will these help?
Would I need new shocks with drop links? I been told I need better shocks anyways so this would give me a reason to get some!

Thanks

matt

Stock 88 Suzuki Samurai with 27" Super Swampers!

u-can-2
04-07-2004, 09:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by redwingfan_number19

Are they a good idea for a stock sammi?
I find I flex out too easily, enough clearance for the places I've tried but not enough flex!! Will these help?
Would I need new shocks with drop links? I been told I need better shocks anyways so this would give me a reason to get some!

Thanks

matt

Check to see if you're maxing out your shocks at full flex. If you're not, then go ahead, but new shocks are definatly a good idea for an upgrade. However, don't buy new shocks till you figure out if you're going to get a lift or not. Shocks will change depending on what other plans you have. Some SPOA kits come with shocks, some don't. The SPOA and drop links work well for more flex.

Oh, and one other note. If you're still running stock ehaust, you may need to cut off the last bend on the tail pipe to clear the shackles.

Rich.

redwingfan_number19
04-07-2004, 10:19 PM
That part of pipe is so bent already! I was gonna cut it off anyways!! Will I need to extend rear slip yoke or anything with this setup? or just longer shocks probably? I'm still not sure what I"m gonna do due to my recent body damage, that has screwed everything up!! Even though I dont' gotta worry so much now!

Later

Matt

u-can-2
04-08-2004, 08:40 AM
Slip yolk will be fine. Even if you do a SPOA, the kit will come with spacers.

*** I'm not only a member, but The President of "The Golf Carts Off-Road Team" ***

redwingfan_number19
04-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Will I need extended brake lines? I was thinking of going with the ones that give 1" lift when closed, would this cause me any problems?
Whats a list of everything I'll need to put some drop links in the rear?? Would I get away with the links and nothing else?

Matt

u-can-2
04-12-2004, 06:58 PM
With those links, you'll be fine. You shouldn't need anything else. It's more when you get into lifting that you should think about this stuff. I recommend a SPOA before anything else. You'll get better ride, better hight, and you'll have more options (like missing links, better shocks, brake lines, etc.) for upgrades and time and $$$$$$$ allow.

RIch.[3]

*** I'm not only a member, but The President of "The Golf Carts Off-Road Team" ***