PDA

View Full Version : busted up tranny mount

Punk in Drublic
03-21-2004, 02:03 PM
its still drivable but i'm pretty sure the tranny rotates a little when theres alot of torque going through it, like when i'm using first gear, which isnt that often.(4 speed o yea). I welded up this plate thin at the top of the tranny when i had it oot at scool last year but it been lifted, d60ed and super swamped since then. plus i'm puttingh in a bad ass 300 6 pretty soon. the motors finished i just gotta get it in the truck. so if this has happened to you and you know of a way to beef up the tranny mounts easily and cheap please let me Know.

87 f250 lifted beaten and abused with swampers

Broncoo
03-21-2004, 02:06 PM
put a stock tranny mount in (rubber) and use a torque chain to stop it from blowing the mount again

it's light it's fast it's powerful

everything a chevy isn't

boyzen
03-21-2004, 05:40 PM
Actually sounds more like a motor mount too me.

Punk in Drublic
03-22-2004, 04:42 AM
no i have had the truck on the hoist and have checked the motor mounts. their is visible damage to the mount on the top of the tranny.

Punk in Drublic
03-23-2004, 05:10 AM
I gotta new motor going in and i'm afraid of the extra torque twisting the tranny and t-case right outa the truck. how much stress is the tranny being put through[?] would just the crossmember on the bottom side of the tranny be enough[?]

In The Zone
03-23-2004, 01:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by punk in drublic

no i have had the truck on the hoist and have checked the motor mounts. their is visible damage to the mount on the top of the tranny.

U mean your tail shaft is suspended [?]
Most mounts are load bearing.
Under side.
may be that is your problem the tail shaft should sit on the cross member.... not hang from it.:D

It' a FORD need I say More.....It drinks lots of Gas,Chews Tire's and eat's BUSH

Punk in Drublic
03-25-2004, 01:48 PM
Got it fixed. what the problem was was that the studs sticking out the bottom of the mount and through the cross member had been comletely destroyed. the studs were still sticking out the cross member but they just shook around not connected to anything on the the top. had to cut them out. put the new mount in and holyshit does it feel and sound better. no more shifter shakin all over the place when your driveing. no more mystery noises either.

Goatz
03-25-2004, 03:52 PM
thats good [3]

87 ranger with full interior roll cage on 38 tsl's on the outside but 79 bronco at heart

In The Zone
03-26-2004, 05:38 AM
go figure...
NIce and Tight Eh

It' a FORD need I say More.....It drinks lots of Gas,Chews Tire's and eat's BUSH

Punk in Drublic
04-05-2004, 05:48 PM
need sum tougher locktight. i used the blue stuff and the cak sucker loosende up again. i felt her loosenen up and the tranny gettin sloppy so i tightened it up. guess i need red locktite

"he who laughs in the face of adversity is probably hammered"
its only gay if you return the favour

T.O.
04-05-2004, 06:30 PM
If the studs are long enough double bolt it and torque them together.
Or a Polish lockwasher and mash the threads so they can't back off.

FEAR IS MY PLAYTOY

83 Toyota on 33's
92 Dodge CTD stock

Punk in Drublic
04-08-2004, 01:11 PM
How does a tension chain work. I imagine it just holds off some of the weight against the actuall mount??

"he who laughs in the face of adversity is probably hammered"
its only gay if you return the favour

lizard
04-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Use the tension chain idea, put it on the drivers side, get a chinch with right an left hand threads so u can adjust the tension, then when the motor torques the tensioner with limit the movement of the motor. I used one in my race car for yrs.