PDA

View Full Version : live axle

F150HULK
03-07-2004, 05:40 AM
I need to know what axle to look for to do an axle swap on my f-150. I have heard that there is a wright and a wrong axle from the early fords( I think 77-79 ). Obviosly I want discs. Do I want a D44 or D60?
My plan is to buy one and rebuild it and then have someone install it for me. Is there any sites that might give me this information? Any help on this would be great!

If you can't go through it, go over it. If you can't go over it have a beer [3] and try again.

FU Toolbag
03-07-2004, 05:50 AM
Depends on the goal. A d44 will work fin for moderate offroading. If you want to have some real fun, without too many worries than go for a d60. Get yourself a high pinion either way. Boyzen has had a lot more experience with just about every axle ever put into a ford. Try and find one out of the mid 80's one ton. They are easy to convert to highsteer, are high pinion, and I've beated the hell out of the one I had, it never complained. They are pricey though, most wreckers want 2g+ but occasionally you can find one for less.

OKOR[f]
Actuall 4X4'er
Off Camber

caveman
03-07-2004, 06:31 AM
It would be cheaper to go with a d44, but if you are going to go with
big tires and big power go with the d60 from a 79 f350 I think thats what boyzen recomended as the better d60. I could be wrong though.

boyzen
03-07-2004, 06:42 AM
Yes what they said...

HUH!!!!!!

F150HULK
03-07-2004, 07:13 AM
I'll probably be just going with the mild offroading. I'm just real sick and tired of the hard to align balljoint eating TTB.My frond end looks like this / \. I found this http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/315211/3 looks like its going to cost a few grand though.

If you can't go through it, go over it. If you can't go over it have a beer [3] and try again.

Broncoo
03-07-2004, 01:40 PM
sell the ttb coils and buy some real ones it'll save ya on fab$$

it's light it's fast it's powerful

everything a chevy isn't

F150HULK
03-07-2004, 03:21 PM
I have one in from my procomp 6" lift. will they still work?

boyzen
03-07-2004, 05:54 PM
If you don't want to go exteme and no bigger tire than 37" I would use the dana 44 because they are common and very affordable and parts are still plentifull if you do break it. How much is a shop going to to charge for a job like that? I'm about to change my brothers 91 f150 from 2wd to 4wd in a couple of months I will post pics of it when it goes down.

HUH!!!!!!

Broncoo
03-07-2004, 06:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by F150HULK

I have one in from my procomp 6" lift. will they still work?

[3] and try again.

you can probably trade em for some pre 79' coils

the ttb coils won't fit the solid axle coil mounts without a bit of fab. but the pre-79 coils will fit the upper bucket with a tiny bit of grinding (or just bolt on some pre79' buckets) if you look at the cols ya got they taper at the bottom and use a cone washer to retain the coil the solid axle coil retainer clamps the coil between two "plates" and does not taper at the bottom

also the ttb coils have a higher spring rate than solid axle d44's cuz of the leverage placed on them

here's a pic of what a solid axle d44 coil perch looks like

Image Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/broncoo/20043801342_PROGRESS1.JPG
52.53KB

it's light it's fast it's powerful

everything a chevy isn't

F150HULK
03-08-2004, 03:07 PM
thats great. Thats what I heard about finding diferent axles, was how the coils fit.