PDA

View Full Version : Not broken yet......

wade and cleatus
03-01-2004, 11:51 AM
But it doesnt look right. The problem is the caps on my rear u-joints dont seem to sit tight in the ears on the shaft or the yokes or howevr they should be named. This seems like it could be a common prob for any truck so i thought i should post here. What can i do to fix it? The only idea i can come up with is to tack weld the caps to the ears? I'd prefer not to, makes trail repairs that much more difficult. Other ideas?

-"You better climb out of the jello tree there, hoser."-

FU Toolbag
03-01-2004, 12:38 PM
The ears on your driveshaft are probably tristed. If it's a stock type driveshaft yoke, they don't like the constant crap kicking they get from us 4x4'rs. If it's been in use for a while and several busted U-joints, it might be time to change it.

OKOR[f]
Actuall 4X4'er
Off Camber

In The Zone
03-01-2004, 01:25 PM
:D Ya the Ears do get fatigued..
Tack welding your caps is one way but like you said it makes repair that much more time consuming in the future.
You could try pressing it back into to shape with a press or vice.
They become streched or even elongated. I press my ears each time i replace em...= nice tight fit

I do not mind My U joints being my weak link.
Easy to replace and relativly cheap compared to say a axle or ring gear...

It' a FORD need I say More.....It drinks lots of Gas,Chews Tire's and eat's BUSH

wade and cleatus
03-01-2004, 01:35 PM
I agree, thats a good spot to be the weak link, as long as its a low speed break :D. Ive been lucky i havent broken anything yet, ive replaced all the joints once except the one at the rear diff, ive had to do that one twice. I think i'll keep an eye on it for now, i cant afford any driveshaft work.

boyzen
03-01-2004, 01:52 PM
Yes when you do redo it , it will fit like new.

HUH!!!!!!

jimmyz
03-01-2004, 02:01 PM
There was a placce in Surrey I think called "Drive Products", the guy there built me a drive shaft a gave me a lifetime warranty with it. See if he's still around. He can supply Spicer yokes and joints.

imported_n/a
03-02-2004, 08:43 AM
Yup, they atre still around and do great work and aren't too pricey.

wade and cleatus
03-02-2004, 11:12 AM
So do you guys think this warrants picking up a used driveshaft and packing it as a spare? Or do i worry too much??

FU Toolbag
03-02-2004, 12:53 PM
for the cost, I think you should have an answer yourself.

OKOR[f]
Actuall 4X4'er
Off Camber

dexter302
03-04-2004, 07:53 PM
well wade,,,, you pavck so many other spare parts around, one more wont hurt... mabey someone will need to borrow that too haahaahaa, or for once you will need your own spare part...

87 runner, sr5 stock
soon to be bigger, 302 convertion, c4, np208, sas with hp d44front, 9" rear, and what ever else i think of doing to it.