PDA

View Full Version : Front disconnect problem

FU Toolbag
02-28-2004, 05:27 AM
The front end of this indy chev won't engage. It has one two wires comming out of it and nothing happens. Is there hopefully a fuse somewhere? The one that I used to own was vacume and we switched it to cable. Does anyone know how these work? I don't want to just start ripping stuff apart, too new, too expencive.

OKOR[f]
Actuall 4X4'er
Off Camber

kootenaycat
02-28-2004, 06:29 PM
What year is your truck? From '88 on they used 12V to the actuator which had silicone that warmed up when 12V applied, which expanded and pushed the fork to engage the gears. Make sure you have power across the 2 wires coming to the actuator. If you have power there, then either the actuator is hooped (probably) or one of the gears has a burr on it and it preventing it from engaging (seen it once). Last time I bought one from GM, they had a light duty and heavy duty, only difference I could see was the connector.

jimmyz
02-29-2004, 05:38 AM
The heavy duty actuator is like a stepper motor, as opposed to the heated fluid kind. It engages right away,no delays, or dickin' around. There is a switch in the transfer case that supplies power to the actuator when in 4 wheel. If you buy the HD actuator, you'll have to buy a wiring harness to go with it.Bring your wallet!

jimmyz
02-29-2004, 05:39 AM
Oh ya...make sure you get a round metal spacer in the box with that.

FU Toolbag
02-29-2004, 06:19 AM
I got voltage to it. Decided to pull it and discovered it was seized. After a little work I got it to move to the engage spot. It wasn't moving again. Just put it back in. Now it's got 4x4, just can't disengage it. Should look at getting the cable for it.

OKOR[f]
Actuall 4X4'er
Off Camber