PDA

View Full Version : shackle angle

m j
02-24-2004, 06:11 PM
I finally addressed my front spring shackle angle
the difference in ride quality is really amazing for such a simple mod
I have ugly superlift 10" springs
I have been running these springs since 1992
a few years ago I added teflon slipper pads to them in an effort to reduce the jarring ride
after moving the shackle they actually feel like springs
the shackle angle as delivered is pretty much exactly the opposite of correct
I had added 5" centre to centre shackles but just this weekend moved the shackle mount forward
I used the existing forward upper bolt hole and redrilled the other 3 and the big window
this resulted in the springs laying on the frame
so Monday I called Haney Iron to have them make me some new shackles from 2" flatbar, 9 1/2" long, 1/4" thick, with 15/32" hole drilled 7" on centre
looks like a ton of clearance now

I will try and get some pics up soon
I do have an image of another truck with similar mods or can link to 3 threads on other boards
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=224938
http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/997346/page/2/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1
http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=996236&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=all&vc=1

anyone have similar ideas or results to share? questions? comments?

dentedup
02-25-2004, 06:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by m j

anyone have similar ideas or results to share? questions? comments?

should work good, I've done basically the same thing with longer springs ( 56") so I had to move the rear mount back. Drives like a cadilac and flexes nice aswell. With the 10" spring you have to watch out for the long length of the spring when flatened out under twistedup conditions, if the shackles arn't quite long enough the spring will hit the frame. With the longer shackles I've noticed a slight increase in stering play from lateral movement. If there is room on the shackle to weld on a cross piece that will help.I've always used no less then 3/8" x 2" for shackle material. good luck with the project let us know how it turns out.

Paul

Stu_Dawg
03-05-2004, 07:45 AM
I am going to be doing something similar. I have 8" springs. In the rear i have a shackle flip with 1" longer custom spring to hanger shackle. approx 13" lift. Image Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/Stu_Dawg/200435133147_shackle.jpg
86.2KB

The shackle had to be made to fit(have a friend who is a machinest) the shackle flip as the stock ones wouldn't fit, he made the bushings for me too.
For the front I am going to make a new drop-shackle for the front eye. remove the stock one and body mount, and make a one piece hanger/body mount. The piece is going to be 3" longer than stock. the rear shackle will be 4" longer than stock. and unless i am wrong(completely possibly as this is my first build) this will even out with the rear end.
Image Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/Stu_Dawg/200435134438_rear shackle.jpg
88.83KB

"If it ain't a chevy, don't raise it up"
"When I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end"

m j
03-05-2004, 03:00 PM
as you brought up the rear...
why use the stock style male/female shackle?
why not go to a style like the front?

the stock front shackles are much thinner then 1/4" so I do not fear using it.
I need to weld up a ramp and/or find the time to see what is going on when twisted up.

wanna see an old pic when the superlifts were brand spankin new?

incredible flexy suspension in action straight out of the shop in 1992

Image Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/m j/200435205541_flexingLOL.jpg
17.92KB

FU Toolbag
03-05-2004, 03:26 PM
That pic looks more like frame twist than suspension flex.

OKOR[f]
Actuall 4X4'er
Off Camber

m j
03-05-2004, 03:53 PM
thanks to the quality springs by SUPERLIFT
may as well weld the axles to the frame with angle iron

m j
03-27-2004, 06:02 AM
with the new found suspension movement I almost bottom my front driveshaft on the way to work

anyone know a quick and dirty way to move the front axle ahead a bit?
how far will it travel moving the front hanger to the front of the body mount?
any images online on this move?
I am going to disassemble the front shaft today to see how far I need to move it
any ideas on how to bottom the suspension in the driveway to measure full compression?
I really HATE a 4x4 without a front driveshaft so it is very near not an option to pull the shaft
I would almost prefer the transfercase get knocked off the back of the tranny then have no front shaft
will be crawling under the truck today pondering options
I may have to get a piece of metal bent into a channel with 3" ID to make a front shackle mount
I am doing some major drivetrain mods this summer so I do not want to pay to redo the shafts twice in 2 months

u2slow
03-27-2004, 02:03 PM
I've seen the stock front hanger moved ahead of the body mount as you describe. I think it was over at CK5 in regard to being a way to use 52" rear springs up front. I'm too lazy to search though [1e]

m j
03-27-2004, 03:40 PM
I am pretty sure I was recommending that move for Rene to use 57s up front
I think it will be too far for my wants/needs
I think I am gonna try a 1" spacer to raise the TC mount

FU Toolbag
03-27-2004, 04:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by m j

anyone know a quick and dirty way to move the front axle ahead a bit?

It's not the "right " way, but just disasemble your springpack and drill out your main leaf where you need it, then rebuild your spring. Good for an inch, but much more usually gets messy.

OKOR[f]
not all men are pigs
some men are gay

m j
03-28-2004, 04:35 PM
well now I have a problem
with the TC raised an inch the driveshaft still comes very close to bottoming if not actually smacking
but
it sure does pull apart nicely at the first hint of trouble
of course I tested that in a mudhole at Stave to the delight of all

so I can definitely say the long shackles at the new angle have significantly increased my available wheeltravel

I need a ramp to get some real data as to whether I am already in 'long slip' territory or if I can find the magic spacer hieght for my cheapo 'shim it' fix

dentedup
03-29-2004, 05:23 AM
With the shackles on my truck at a similiar angle to yours, I also had front driveshaft problems. I found that when the truck twists up there is about aprox 3" of travel from compression to extension, which if you set your driveshaft to the right lenght will work. the problem was when both front tires droped together( like creasting a step hill etc.the front shaft would pull apart. With a limiting strap (seatbelt) mounted on the center of the axle with 1" of slack at ride hieght solved that problem and still alows the front axel to fully travel,I also added bump stops. It took a lot of trial and error but the truck now works great without a longspline driveshaft and will max out my 5012 shocks in the front, hope that helps

Paul

m j
03-29-2004, 03:35 PM
thanks for the reply

I need to build a ramp
and figure a way to compress the suspension in a controlled manner to find where I am at

1_ton_k5
06-22-2004, 09:24 AM
I moved my D60 1.25" farther forward by redrilling the perch and clearancing the underside of the spring plates. Cost= $0 and it's worked fine for me. It keeps the 40's off the firewall anyways.

I dunno if I want more travel up front...then I'd need crossover, a long travel shaft and probably need to lose even more sheet metal. [:o)]

Rene

81K5,6.2,465,205,60,14,4.56,40's

STranger
06-23-2004, 03:25 AM
if you need to try it on a ramp,come out to one of the ramp fridays at my shop.just get the thinkin part done early,cause it gets stupid fast.

i dont need people to get me,i just need people to get out of my way

m j
06-23-2004, 02:01 PM
is "ramp friday" the day where trucks that need serious work get to test?
or is it where guys that have their shit together show off?
if it is the latter I wont waste your/my time :)
currently using the driveshaft for a bumpstop and the brake lines for limiting straps, it aint a pretty thing
the cool part is how unstable it feels

jeeper
06-23-2004, 03:58 PM
A perfect time to see what needs tobe done to your truck is at Toms ramp nights !!!!!!!!!!

Thats the reason hes been hosting it-Much easier to see what you need done when you have a ramp !!!!!

and then when all is said and done a good time to visit and have a few !

STranger
06-24-2004, 04:12 AM
you can check some of the old ramp nite posts to see the awsome rigs that get tested-there was a sprint,a caravan,even a jetta!(these all out scored todds dodge).its about fun,not showing off.

i dont need people to get me,i just need people to get out of my way