PDA

View Full Version : cb radio problem

imported_n/a
01-31-2004, 03:31 PM
Hey guys I am having a problem with my cb radio i just picked up. When I turn it on when the truck is not running it works fine. When I turn it on with the truck running I get a s**t load of interference. I tried about four different grounding points and even tried to install a noise reducing filter. I even ran a direct power line from the battery, to avoid going throught the fuse panel. This is the second cb i have tried to install in my truck and the same problem is occuring with both. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

'87 Ford Ranger
Weekend Warriors

m j
01-31-2004, 04:13 PM
do you have a stereo amplifier?

Roy
01-31-2004, 04:32 PM
What kind of noise is it? whine or tick, tick, tick tick? Does it rise and fall with the engine's rpm? Did you match your antenna?

Radio Roy

lizard
01-31-2004, 04:36 PM
sometimes its the sparkplug wires doing that ,some of the HP ones arent shielded

In The Zone
01-31-2004, 07:29 PM
plug wires would be my guess as well use.A die-electirc silicone grease on the boots at both ends.

It' a FORD need I say More.....It drinks lots of Gas,Chews Tire's and eat's BUSH

imported_n/a
01-31-2004, 11:47 PM
yes i do have an amplifier, would that cause this??? the noise does rise and fall with the engines rpm. you can also hear the windshield wipers through it as well :(

'87 Ford Ranger
Weekend Warriors

imported_n/a
02-01-2004, 11:28 AM
You have two options. #1, buy a noise filter, they're about $10 at Radio Shack...the other option...adjust the squelch. This might sound incredibly simplistic and no idea if this applies to you or not, but I've met some first time cb users who didn't realize that you can adjust the squelch to no-noise, then get a radio-check from a friend, all will be well.

Justin - 1991 YJ, stock Jeep? What's a stock Jeep?

allwagon
02-01-2004, 01:36 PM
Check your plug wires; "cooper" if they are, the only way to get rid of the static is to get rid of those nice clean sparking wires and got to a 8m.

Just what I need, another wagon!

imported_n/a
02-01-2004, 07:06 PM
thanx guys! i will have to change the spark plug wires......hopefully this will work!

'87 Ford Ranger
Weekend Warriors