PDA

View Full Version : ?suggestions?

Aaron
01-19-2004, 03:27 PM
i have a samurai w/toyota running gear 33s and stock gears in the diffs and t case.my problem is its overheating in the mud and if i have it in hi revs for too long.due to space limitatations i run an electric w/built in shroud fan instead the one on the motor.ive used an alluminum jetta radiator because it fit and being alum i thought it would cool better .the strange thing is the radiator and cap has no way to release pressure (not to mension no drain spout).i have no problems on the road its only at low speed.i considered drilling/tapping a line from the cap into a puke tank but the system operates at over 100 degrees.so im affraid the water will just continuosly boil out.i also heard that i may not be filling the system completely due to air in the engine.but iv filled it with my truck facing ata large uphill angle and the rad sits slightly higher than the engine so i dont see how this might be.any help will be appreciated.[27][19]

Aaron

Broncoo
01-19-2004, 04:08 PM
sound like your rad is too small or not gettin enough air operating over 100 deg os okay so long a as you have the right cap (for every pound of cap pressure the boiling point goes up 3degf)
which way is the air flowing from the fan into the eng comp or out?

i'd try a bigger rad or less antifreeze in the coolant and maybe a higher psi cap

it's light it's fast it's powerful

everything a chevy isn't

Aaron
01-20-2004, 04:15 AM
the fan is on the front of the rad blowing into the engine compartment.

Aaron

FU Toolbag
01-20-2004, 06:13 AM
At what point is the fan kicking in? Might be a faulty temp sensor switch.

OKOR[f]
Actuall 4X4'er
No heeps allowed
Off Camber

Aaron
01-20-2004, 08:16 AM
iv got the fan on a toggle and i turn it on prior to starting the engine

Aaron

FU Toolbag
01-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Have you checked if the rad is clean? Both in and out. I have a couple alu. rads that have just been packed to the point where nothing can pass. Are you running a thermostat?

OKOR[f]
Actuall 4X4'er
No heeps allowed
Off Camber

Aaron
01-20-2004, 02:15 PM
rad is fairly clean on the outside and clean on inside.i run the stock toy thermostat.

Aaron

lizard
01-20-2004, 02:25 PM
how hot does it get? 160-180 is okay

It may be that the vw rad flows too good,they have large flow tubes and the waters not staying in the rad long enough too cool it down