PDA

View Full Version : rear d70 disc brake conversion

m j
01-17-2004, 04:52 PM
I have a dodge sourced rear d70 that I am in the midst of converting to disc brakes

I am contemplating dual calipers with the extra set used for cutting brakes.
I guess before I start building the caliper brackets I am going to have to see how others do it.
do they use single calipers for both foot brake and cutting?

anyway as I am out in Chilliwack and you cannot buy pretty mauch anything on a weekend I did unsuccessfully look for stock front brake backing plates to adapt.
so back to homebrewed plan

I searched the net to see what other were using and decided to follow with the chev sourced idea
77 chev 3/4 ton 4x4
raybestos 5014 rotors, had to drill the stud holes out to 11/16 to fit the larger dodge studs. unexpected $30 drill bit expense.
of course you cannot buy loaded calipers so I got dinged pretty good buying calipers, and pads, and caliper guide pins, and small parts kit, and brake lines, and still do not have a banjo bolt to affix the lines.

here is an interesting find
at the local Hot Rod & Classics, 604-792-9005, you can get a real sweet brake line kit for the same price that I paid for the 2 stock lines at Lordco, $80cdn
it contains a -3 line with a real banjo at one end and -3AN/JIC,
a bulkhead fitting that I think is -3 AN/JIC to whatever hard line normally is,
weld on tabs to mount the bulkhead to,
the banjo bolt,
2 copper crush washers for the banjo.

the problem is the banjo is for the car sourced calipers that use a banjo 1 size smaller then the set I grabbed earlier in my travels.
I bet the full size car caliper is pretty much the same as the truck caliper but have not yet checked.

as I sit now
the rotors are on the hubs
the loaded calipers are mocked up awaiting metal to create the bracket
will be 3/8 or so plate I think
I have made a couple of weld on tabs for the brake lines

I think I am going to weld the bracket directly to the housing.
I will print a couple of copies of a 14ff disc bracket I have from online and overlap them to draw out a dual caliper bracket on the plate and start hacking.

sorry no pics yet. my digi camera sprouted legs one night and I havent replaced it.

dentedup
01-19-2004, 06:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by m j

I have a dodge sourced rear d70 that I am in the midst of converting to disc brakes

I am contemplating dual calipers with the extra set used for cutting brakes.
I guess before I start building the caliper brackets I am going to have to see how others do it.
do they use single calipers for both foot brake and cutting?

single calipers with a $60 electric line lock for the rear and twin stick t-case. Lock the rear tires with the flick of a switch and use the front wheels to turn. Works awsome forwards or backwards

m j
01-19-2004, 02:49 PM
I was looking at the actual indvidual cutting brakes on P4x4,
like what Tim "Wolf359" uses
I am still uncertain on whether I trust the extra cylinders in my everyday braking system.
$100us was price quoted for the real deal
I am not a big fan of 'electrics over' style of doing things

but yes I am thinking single calipers now.
I got my steel today, Haney Iron, and the price to make these is most likely going to exceed buy a set already made up. of course.

so you use the linelock?
would be pretty easy to route a single cutting brake to the rear line anyway that can wait a bit.

m j
01-20-2004, 04:10 PM
banjo bolts are 7/16"-20 available from goodridge and aeroquip got 1 from HotRods and Classics another on order

m j
01-24-2004, 02:14 PM
on the stock brake lines, the jam nut appears to be 5/8"-18 inverted flare threads
I am tackwelding them to the brackets I made unless someone can point out the error of my ways

richsworkshop
01-24-2004, 02:27 PM
Are you using the chev front lines??

If so, I think what you are talking about is the threads on the outside of the fitting, right?[?]

I believe they are 5/8 NF, so just use a 5/8 NF nut, or cut it in half for a shallow nut.

Tack welding the fitting?? I'd try not to do that....[aahh]

Rich [}:)] (aka Stax)
"It's ALL GOOD!"

TTC 2003
Been there... done that... What a Blast!
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/richsworkshop/2003826141541_business_card.gif

m j
01-24-2004, 02:33 PM
I had the line at the parts supply house bolt bin
it isnt coarse
it isnt fine
it isnt metric
but the 5/8"-18 inverted flare fitting, I checked on a hunch after playing with steering lines, fits juuust right
so if you have a source of 5/8"-18 nuts or even a tap, let me know asap

m j
01-30-2004, 04:52 PM
is anyone local making laser cut disc brake brackets?
I just had mine laser cut (turned out sweet) and if I order in volume the price looks real competitive to what I see in the states

m j
01-31-2004, 06:11 AM
can anyone tell me how far the disc brake bracket should be from the rotor?
I am ready to weld mine in place and am second guessing myself with doubts
:)

I plan to clamp the bracket to the rotor
held off with a spacer to position the bracket
then tack it
then remove everything for final weld
sounds like it will work

m j
02-01-2004, 10:00 AM
just priced caddy ebrake calipers
I pay $16.50 + $26 core at Lordco for the truck ones
the Caddy's are $84 + core (forgot to ask the core charge) with ebrake
the brake lines look different again of course
I will not use stock style lines again as the streetrod stuff is the same $ or cheaper and way nicer to work with -3 or -4