PDA

View Full Version : 460 intake

FU Toolbag
12-27-2003, 06:51 PM
I got a efi 460 and am thinking I'm going to put the older style intake on it to go back to a carb setup. I hate all this efi shit. Has anyone done this? are the ports the same? It's 1 92 460.

OKOR[f]
72 super beatle
1 lwb Sammi- 2.4 deisel
1 lwb sammi "avalanch"
1 suzuki lj 80- toy axles, 2.3 turbo power
1 69 tlc- straight frame, 350 power
1 75 tlc-custom everything
1 76 tlc-stock, not for long
1 80 bronko-propane 460-sycadelic.
1 98 FJ40, 4 tones'o'fun

FU Toolbag
12-27-2003, 07:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by beaverliquor

No one will respond to your useless posts because your a idiot!!!
Go ahead and quote that, bitch!

Wrong forum.

OKOR[f]
72 super beatle
1 lwb Sammi- 2.4 deisel
1 lwb sammi "avalanch"
1 98 FJ40, 4 tones'o'fun

imported_n/a
12-27-2003, 07:48 PM
Bite me dickwad, bitch, fucktard. loser!!!

FU Toolbag
12-27-2003, 07:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by beaverliquor

Bite me dickwad, bitch, fucktard. loser!!!

Again, wrong forum.

OKOR[f]
72 super beatle
1 lwb Sammi- 2.4 deisel
1 lwb sammi "avalanch"
1 98 FJ40, 4 tones'o'fun

Just_some_asshole
12-27-2003, 09:09 PM
if it's anything like the 302's it should be an easy swap,just gotta plug the smog ports on the back of the heads

carnage4x4

m j
12-28-2003, 07:33 AM
I am not up on the years, but at least some of the efi heads differ from old stuff
they flow much better IIRC
read an article years ago in superford on that subject
I would be tempted to get intake gaskets for each style to compare and see if the intake bolts are the same orientation
some engines run the bolts perpendicular to intake face where others are vertical
I am sure a quick internet search or a breeze through the depths of fordtruckenthusiast.com will get you some info

I always wondered what the bolt pattern was after you pull the TB adapter off
it looks like a carb manifold with a swans neck and head bolted to it

racer874
12-28-2003, 04:36 PM
a buddy of mine did this a few years ago he had a prblem with a bad vacum leak under the maifold card and efi heads are different

racer874
12-28-2003, 04:39 PM
by the way people on here dont like you much hey hope i could help good luck

FU Toolbag
12-28-2003, 04:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by racer874

by the way people on here dont like you much hey hope i could help good luck

By the way, people here do actually do like the fact that I bring life to their otherwise hoe hum bordrum, but I have heard of the vacume leak problem. I'm thinking I'll just build an addapter between the stock throttle body and the mixer.

OKOR[f]
1 lwb Sammi- 2.4 deisel
1 lwb sammi "avalanch"
1 98 FJ40, 4 tones'o'fun
[img=right]http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/lizard/20021230205626_lochness_monster_saying_hi_md_clr.g if[/img=right]
found the chicken

m j
12-28-2003, 05:14 PM
mixer?
you said carb.

FU Toolbag
12-28-2003, 05:23 PM
propane mixer

OKOR[f]
1 lwb Sammi- 2.4 deisel
1 lwb sammi "avalanch"
1 98 FJ40, 4 tones'o'fun
[img=right]http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/lizard/20021230205626_lochness_monster_saying_hi_md_clr.g if[/img=right]
found the chicken

racer874
12-29-2003, 07:56 PM
BEST LEAVE THE PROPANE FOR THE BBQ BECAUSE THATS ALL ITS GOOD FOR

FU Toolbag
12-30-2003, 08:46 AM
quote:Originally posted by racer874

BEST LEAVE THE PROPANE FOR THE BBQ BECAUSE THATS ALL ITS GOOD FOR

I'ld expect such an expert opinion from a carnage member, are you?

Propane burns clean and has a higher BTU output than gas as well as higher octaine levels, longer life span of your engine and off camber situations never effect fuel flow. The simpple fact that you can jack your entire vehicle up on a propane tank as opposed to farting near a gas tank and blowing a hole in it. Besides, you can then take your hbbq with you and have good steak milles from where any carnage member could go.

OKOR[f]
1 lwb Sammi- 2.4 deisel
1 lwb sammi "avalanch"
1 98 FJ40, 4 tones'o'fun
found the chicken

Westonian
12-30-2003, 11:33 AM
quote:By the way, people here do actually do like the fact that I bring life to their otherwise hoe hum bordrum, but I have heard of the vacume leak problem. I'm thinking I'll just build an addapter between the stock throttle body and the mixer.

[9][9][9][9][9][9][9][9][9][9][9][9][9][9][9][9][9][9][9][9][9] Now that's funny sad if you actually belive it though.. Anyay back to topic

Well Sport your right about the durability of Propane tanks and the heat out put yada yada yada, And yes True power house propane can some times put out more HP then a regular gas,, but to do so your basicly looking at a compete Rebuild with Proper heads Valves and Intake DESIGNED for the use of Propane .

adding propane to any old engine off the shelf especially one designed for EFI will not gain you any advatages over gas other then that of cheaper fuel and low gravity situations if your Carb it. But then again your dealing with Heads designed for electronic Fuel injection (EFI)

Plus as for A long life,, well yes and no I suppose, remember propane does burn hotter which can result in burt Valves and Detonation if not set up and maintained accordingly.

So yup Have fun

Toyota Robots In Disguise
"Life begins where the pavement Ends"
http://members.shaw.ca/wheeling_experience/4x41.htm (Recently Updated)

FU Toolbag
12-30-2003, 01:04 PM
The heads are already hardened, my distributor is recurved, and the only other thing to be redone is to up the compression. This could be overlooked with the addition of a turbo, free power, or supercharger,$$$. As far as a manifold designed for propane, I've never seen one. Unfortunatly, propane has fallen bye the way since gas engines have become more efficient and the lack of full serve fuel stations. The ideal manifold for almost any engine would be a dual carb highrise manifold allowing maximum runner length. This manifold that is already there has excelent volume and plenty of runner length. It unfortunatly has holes for the injectors which won't cause much of a problem.

OKOR[f]
1 lwb Sammi- 2.4 deisel
1 lwb sammi "avalanch"
1 98 FJ40, 4 tones'o'fun
found the chicken

m j
12-30-2003, 02:14 PM
I am going either propane or diesel, definitely turbo either way
propane beats gas in almost every category
I am thinking a sefi manifold is about as close to 'designed' for propane as you can get.
a dry flow manifold by design
I do not recall the 460efi manifold as being a tuned port item though

the burned valve detonation crap is just ignorance, I thought it burned COLDER

even if some of the crap was true you would still get the benefit of no carbon in the oil

racer874
12-30-2003, 07:28 PM
no i am not a carrnage member. i have driven prpahe and gas powered 460s in the past and iwould take the gas unit any day. i just cant deal with frozen up mixers on the side of the freeway because i had to stop for a piss. [!]propane

FU Toolbag
12-31-2003, 07:05 AM
The only time your evaporator would freeze is if your cooling is too low.

OKOR[f]
1 lwb Sammi- 2.4 deisel
1 lwb sammi "avalanch"
1 98 FJ40, 4 tones'o'fun
found the chicken

Westonian
12-31-2003, 04:15 PM
OR if your coolent is like water,, Fuck your and idiot Okor why the fuck would you convert a efi 460 to a carb..... the only way your going to get it to perform like a 460 is if you put dual 4 barel carbs with 2 mixers and and dual 4 barel intake,, other wise it's like pissing into the wind[33]. If anything stick with efi since it will deliver fuel way better, then carbing it unless you go with what I stated,, fuck other wise you'll never get the performance and the engine will probbaly explode casue it will be running to lean and over heat,[16]

Propane engine runs hotter, cause you don'g have the liquid fuel to cool it fucknuts. beleve me or not I don't give a rats ass,, but that's my opinon so,, Sit on on it and rotate.

damn get a few beers in me and I go off[51]... Ha ha ha ha suckers!!!! Happy freaking new year as well[22][4]

sj-x 500
12-31-2003, 04:27 PM
you'd only be losing power swapping over to a propane set up from efi. even with the new intake, and high compression pistons, shaved deck, what ever you feel like doing to raise the compression, it ain't gonna put out more then what you got. what's the problem with the existing efi?

84 sj410 with 16v w/EFI, auto 4-spd, 4.63 gears, 14 inches wider then stock, 31x10.50 mickey thompson baja claws, 6 + inches of lift
broken u-joint count: 2

currently running on: p185/60/r15 winter tires... god it looks dumb.

imported_n/a
12-31-2003, 04:36 PM
electronic injections is too hard for a hillbillie hick to figure out.. Not enough brains up there, their in his ass and I think he shit most of it out!
Doh, where the rabbit go dipshit!

I killed a 6 pack, just to watch it die! :)

FU Toolbag
12-31-2003, 06:56 PM
you want to be helpfull then do it. You want to flame me, wrong forum there carnage assholes.

OKOR[f]
1 lwb Sammi- 2.4 deisel
1 lwb sammi "avalanch"
1 98 FJ40, 4 tones'o'fun
found the chicken

imported_n/a
01-01-2004, 06:13 AM
?[33]

FU Toolbag
01-01-2004, 08:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by barbarian

?[33]

Whatever jeff. You due to grow up anytime soon. What does it feel like handeling shit to make a retarded point.

OKOR[f]
1 lwb Sammi- 2.4 deisel
1 lwb sammi "avalanch"
1 98 FJ40, 4 tones'o'fun
found the chicken

boyzen
01-01-2004, 11:02 AM
You guys who dont belive that propane can have as good if not better power than the EFI gas are crazy and don't Know shit about propane. I have a good friend who has a chev 302 on propane running it in a 72 p/u and does the 1/4 mile in 12.5 and with gas before he changed over was 14 seconds.

I'm not to drunk, Where is the key hole gone?

m j
01-01-2004, 11:35 AM
"coolant like water"
isnt everyones coolant 'like water'?
as long as the coolant is flowing it will keep drawing temperature

Westonian
01-01-2004, 11:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by okor

you want to be helpfull then do it. You want to flame me, wrong forum there carnage assholes.

Are you eveing reading the information that we are giving?!? or just to stuborn to relaize you don't know shit and might actually have to listen to one of those Carage asshole[11] Or even possibly some body else for that matter

quote:"coolant like water"
isnt everyones coolant 'like water'?
as long as the coolant is flowing it will keep drawing temperature

Propane egines Burn hotter the normal gas engines,,,, so they need a good mix of Coolent and water other wise you can have an over heating problem,,,, ANd if your Coolent %100 water your you'll have problems with Freaze ups in the mixer.

Westonian
01-01-2004, 12:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by boyzen

You guys who dont belive that propane can have as good if not better power than the EFI gas are crazy and don't Know shit about propane. I have a good friend who has a chev 302 on propane running it in a 72 p/u and does the 1/4 mile in 12.5 and with gas before he changed over was 14 seconds.

Oh I belive Propane can produce equal or more Hp to and engine. But some how I dout he took his 72 pickup with 140,000 k on it and did a quick 5 minute convertion to get that amount of power outa it

m j
01-01-2004, 02:44 PM
quote:Propane egines Burn hotter the normal gas engines,,,, so they need a good mix of Coolent and water other wise you can have an over heating problem,,,, ANd if your Coolent %100 water your you'll have problems with Freaze ups in the mixer.

'COOLANT'? do you mean antifreeze?
actually antifreeze does not help, but in fact hinders, cooling.
I have never heard of propane running hotter then a gas engine.

as for propane component freeze ups from 100% water, BULLSHIT.
as long as the coolant, be it water, antifreeze, or piss, is flowing it will be warm enough to draw the temperature difference

I do wonder about the wisdom of running with no antifreeze in an area that gets below zero

FU Toolbag
01-01-2004, 03:29 PM
I do read the help offered and when it's in a post that has 2 oz of help with every pound of flaming crap, I'm sorry, but the overwhelming crap does prevale. I will gladdly listen to any carnage member, provided it's help or experience. From my experience, and that of others I've talked to the one who doesn't know shit is westonia, not because of his association with carnage, but simple due to his posts. He will of course dissagree with this opinion, and that's his right, but that doesn't mane him right.

I'm not talking about taking a tired, borderline dead engine and putting propane on it. It's a very fresh 460 and has only about 10,000k on a rebuild. It has the roller cam in it as well as the big flow heads and intake manifold. It still has the stock cast exaust manifolds.

As far as the coolant goes, it's not the % as much as the level. A truck I had several years ago froze up every time the coolant level dropped due to rad leak. As long as I added about 1/2l every week, it was not a problem.

OKOR[f]
1 lwb Sammi- 2.4 deisel
1 lwb sammi "avalanch"
1 98 FJ40, 4 tones'o'fun
found the chicken

In The Zone
01-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Why not just fix the leak?;)

As for manifold swap i would stay with the efi but use a mod chip for your performance needs. But hey its your rig.[36]

It' a FORD need I say More.....It drinks lots of Gas,Chews Tire's and eat's BUSH

boyzen
01-01-2004, 07:50 PM
I like propane for the cleaness of it . I have a 460 propane system for sale if anyones intrested 450.00 mixer and 2 torpedo style tanks.

Westonian
01-01-2004, 07:54 PM
quote:I've talked to the one who doesn't know shit is westonia, not because of his association with carnage, but simple due to his posts. He will of course dissagree with this opinion, and that's his right, but that doesn't mane him right.

I neither agree or disagree with what ever the hell you just said , But oviously belive what you will aint going to ruin my day. I try to offer some advice and yup I'll [!]on ya but what ever take it like a man and deal with it. Good luck with your 460 efi modified carb pluged injector wholes running on Propane. Let me know how it works out for ya..

quote:As far as the coolant goes, it's not the % as much as the level. A truck I had several years ago froze up every time the coolant level dropped due to rad leak. As long as I added about 1/2l every week, it was not a problem.

quote:'COOLANT'? do you mean antifreeze?
actually antifreeze does not help, but in fact hinders, cooling.
I have never heard of propane running hotter then a gas engine.

as for propane component freeze ups from 100% water, BULLSHIT.
as long as the coolant, be it water, antifreeze, or piss, is flowing it will be warm enough to draw the temperature difference

well boys yup good luck with that. can't wait till the Okanagan Summers when your running a 460 on propane running running straight water to cool it. Yup good luck there boys.

Westonian
01-01-2004, 08:38 PM
Just in case might wanna read some thing there Mj

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system3.htm

FU Toolbag
01-01-2004, 09:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by Westonian

I neither agree or disagree with what ever the hell you just said , But oviously belive what you will aint going to ruin my day. I try to offer some advice and yup I'll [!]on ya but what ever take it like a man and deal with it. Good luck with your 460 efi modified carb pluged injector wholes running on Propane. Let me know how it works out for ya..

I am only saying that from my experience you are wrong. Does that explain it for you. It's clear to me that you have no idea what I'm talking about and from the fact that there has been others that do follow the conversation I'm asking you to bow out gracefully, like a man. Maybee when I'm done and your a little less hostile I'll show you what I've done.

quote:well boys yup good luck with that. can't wait till the Okanagan Summers when your running a 460 on propane running running straight water to cool it. Yup good luck there boys.

I never said I was going to run straight water in the system, But I have, in the hott okanagan summer, and the only problem arose when the collant level dropped.

I've decided against changing manifolds and am building an addapter to go between the impco 425 mixer and the original throttle body. This should give me a good runner length as well as enough turbulance to create a well blended mixture.

OKOR[f]
Actuall 4X4'er
No heeps allowed
[!]carnage 4x4
Off Camber

m j
01-02-2004, 06:35 AM
so what in there is supposed to be a revelation Westy?

I know what antifreeze does.
straight water cools better then an antifreeze mix.
that is a fact.

did you get hung up on the boiling point?
212 + 45 = 257 deg boiling point for straight water.
if your temp hits 250 you have cooling system problems.
of course you can get 22lb cap to increase it further.

straight water is only a problem in the cold.

water wetter is a good idea as it has an antifoam and wetting agent as well as a lubricant

Westonian
01-02-2004, 03:40 PM
Actually there Sport,, I have no hostility and by the last post that was me resigning from this conversation. Because apparently you don't want to even consider listening to anyone but your self, oh and MJ lol.... So don't go accusing people of hositility when your the one with the Flamming Ego. But anywho

Good luck with it all

racer874
01-02-2004, 03:58 PM
propane just to much bullshit [!]propane

FU Toolbag
01-03-2004, 12:05 AM
Just talked to one of the local guru's at the coast and he has a few clients running this same engine with jus an addapter plate, no risers or anything, with a chev throttle boddy and a impco 425. He claims to be racing every weekend without any problems. Gotta be the most simpe solution.

OKOR[f]
Actuall 4X4'er
No heeps allowed
[!]carnage 4x4
Off Camber