PDA

View Full Version : Diff Angle?

Squishy
12-21-2003, 04:06 PM
is it safe to tilt the rear end of my truck a bit so there is not so much angle between the diff and the driveshaft? i keep killing u joints. is there anything else i could do?

90 Ford F150

dentedup
12-21-2003, 05:07 PM
ideally the angles should be the same at the t-case and the diff

Broncoo
12-21-2003, 05:20 PM
unless you run a cv style shaft (two u-joints at the t-case) then just point the pinion at the t-case

you could get shims from a 4x4 shop or cut and re-weld on the perches

m j
01-20-2004, 07:21 PM
usually a repeated u joint destruction is the result of axle wrap

also it is a 'rule of thumb' to have the angles differ by 4 - 6 degrees to account for some wrap up while under power
that would be lower on the rear and higher on the front

Aaron
01-20-2004, 07:38 PM
i found an exellent write up about driveline on pirate 4x4.com its fairly clear.check it out.it could help with your troubles .

Aaron

jeeper
01-20-2004, 08:07 PM
Hey Kris,,,,

I know this goes against all the driveshaft angle "laws " out there,,, but my diff is turned up a bit facing the tranny and I go through way less ujoints then when it all was matched according to the rules

I agree when possible to run them at the same angle but when your rear shaft is only about 14 inchs long you have to adjust and find ways to make it work ---Bruce

----and no comment please on a fourteen inch shaft LOL

....o_o_o_o
./| ,[_____],
|ŻŻŻL--O|||||||O_
()_)Ż()_) ŻŻŻ )_)

In The Zone
01-20-2004, 08:34 PM
If you hang your rear end (unload your springs ) you will see close to the extreme angle you joints are going to run usually pretty effective for trouble shooting you can then get idea on how much you want to change the pinion angle. or try to lower your t-case even 1/2" will help.

It' a FORD need I say More.....It drinks lots of Gas,Chews Tire's and eat's BUSH