PDA

View Full Version : my re-built fawkin engine blew today...

mUD uCKeR
12-15-2003, 11:23 AM
Yeah... anyways, i have to vent... I hoped in the jeep today at lunch time to do some crusin around... got to the top of the hill in Salmon arm and it didn't want to cool down... I went a couple more blocks and the heater quits blowing hot air... So i stop to check things out... Electric fan is still givin' er shit... but thing doesn't have any fluid in it... So i think... where the hell did it go.. Popped the Valve Cover Cap off... OH SHIT !!!.. that's where it is... OIL MILKSHAKE... so anyways... i don't know what the hell to do now... I sick of fucking around with this engine ...

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK... FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.... FUCCKKKKKKKkk.

87 YJ, 2.5" BL, 3" Susp Lift, 8274 warn. 31" MT/s, no lockers, and beat to shit.

basher
12-15-2003, 11:50 AM
sounds like a shitty deal. sorry for your luck.

Toyrantula
12-15-2003, 01:07 PM
Who did the rebuild?

That sucks dude, hopefully the damage aint too bad.

A GOOD friend will bail you out of jail,

A BEST friend will will be sitting beside you saying"that was fawkin` awesome!"

mUD uCKeR
12-15-2003, 01:51 PM
Myself and a engine machinst buddy built it... And i think the block had an 'issue' the intake had problems seating to the heads... we thought it would be okay after we changed the intake gaskets to better ones... it seemed to hold together... I think the gasket gave out on the intake where the water passage is... It's Shitty... ya... i don't know if it's worth pissing around with at all anymore... it got hot, It could have cracked something.
I am gonna say fuck it and jsut look for a different engine... I don't think this thing is worth trying to fix... Pull the new cam and lifters back out of it... see what else i can save from it... Maybe figure out what went wrong...
it's too bad.. because i used pretty much all my last reasources trying to get the diffs for this thing together again. Now, i gotta find a cheap runner... or I dunno...
I also thought about trying to find a cheap Chevy 83-87 4x4 and run it for the winter... finish fixing it when i have the patience...

87 YJ, 2.5" BL, 3" Susp Lift, 8274 warn. 31" MT/s, no lockers, and beat to shit.

mUD uCKeR
12-18-2003, 06:48 AM
Well, it's back together... Intake gasket was blown in a spot... Didn't expect that to ever happen... but edlebrock recommended using a crapy paper only gasket. This time I put in the metal ones... and torqued it down good. Hoping it stays together... I don't know why the hell it did that... Seems to run better than it ever did...A annoying vibration around 3000 it had is gone now. Something must not have been seating down or something.
Anyways... ended up only costing around $100 to fix... as long as it's actually fixed... back to working on my diffs again.

burnt03
12-18-2003, 07:06 AM
Good to hear it wasn't anything too major

1978 FJ40 ("The Antichrist")

mUD uCKeR
12-18-2003, 08:15 AM
Well I hope not... It seems fixed... but I honestly don't know what caused it to be a problem to begin with... Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best...

Matt
12-18-2003, 04:48 PM
what the h is the motor? Jeep just ain't bad for water leaking into the motor. Check with the guys who built it.

imported_n/a
12-19-2003, 07:56 AM
AWE you got it back together for $100.....unreal!! Those 2.5's are notorious for cracking between valves and in the middle of the block between cylinders...glad yours is good

[36]

Come to www.bulltear.com for some trick parts and cheap new jeep items

burnt03
12-19-2003, 08:31 AM
You probably missed his earlier threads, but he swapped a SBC into his heep. 350 if I'm not mistaken.

1978 FJ40 ("The Antichrist")

mUD uCKeR
12-19-2003, 09:38 AM
Yeawww... This is a 350... with a 4spd behind it... 2.5??? What the hell is that... ? ha ha... If it was a 2.5... i wouldn't have even pulled it apart... it would be holding some guys boat from drifting away... Just a blown out INTAKE gasket... really. weird.

lizard
12-19-2003, 02:15 PM
just a thought,but if u get the heads shaved alot it can screw up the angle so the manifold wouldnt sit or seal correctly.

mUD uCKeR
12-20-2003, 07:46 AM
I think it was just lack of torque to the bolts, and shitty gaskets. I plasti gaged the intake to the heads, and they are about as fawkin flat as they could possibly be. I haven't had a problem since i fixed it now, actually... it's running better than it ever did. I torques all the bolts down to 30 lbs this time... Might be a bit much... but... it's tight. Also used the steel gaskets even though edlebrock recommends NOT using them... before we were siliconing the gaskets around the ports too... i didn't do that this time either... as per GM recommendation... I put them on dry...

Guybc
12-24-2003, 09:29 PM
i just torque them down to what ever im feeling like. its been good for me so far and ve had about 6 350s... with a hell of alot intake swaps:) (more power baby!!)

um really weird that it happened all of a sudden...bought this 350 for 400 bucks. buddy gave me some lt1 head gaskets and i was drunk when i put them on and once i filled a chevy engine up with water complety, ran it for 2 secs not even..... too it all apart, cleaned it with air/ new oil and it ran great sold it for 600 a few days later. it was a sweet engine, good power... i had it in my malibu for a few weeks. btw it ran mint after the little water thing:) i only sold it so i could finish my other engine off. (375hp 350) ...... anyways good luck with the 350 man