PDA

View Full Version : What would you EXPECT to pay??

wade and cleatus
10-28-2003, 12:04 PM
For a 47 Willy's jeep, all original except the rear part of the tub. It was last on the road in 74 or 75. It wouldnt take too much to get it mobile, just the usual stuff that needs to be done to a vehicle thats been sitting around for close to 30 years. Its got an extra engine, axles, and all sorts of bits and pieces. Its even got the original oil bath and toilet paper air filtration system.

-"You better climb out of the jello tree there, fucknut."-

Westonian
10-28-2003, 01:58 PM
wow that's a cool find,, don't know how much you'd pay for that i guess it all depends on the seller if actually knows what he has or just want to get rid of what he thinks is a pile of Junk?

Toyota Robots In Disguise
"Life begins where the pavement Ends"
http://members.shaw.ca/wheeling_experience/4x41.htm

wade and cleatus
10-30-2003, 07:37 AM
Good reply Westonian, anyone else? Throw a figure out here, i didnt want to title this thread 'whats its worth?' cause im sick of seeing that but basically thats what i need to know here, or at least an average of what someone would pay for this thing.

imported_n/a
10-30-2003, 10:52 AM
There are several things to consider.
Does it come with B.C. Registration papers.
Some are worth more than others just based on how early they are, do you know what the serial number is?

These can also appear to not require much work but parts will soon add up fast. If it doesn't run you could soon find yourself in quite deep depending on what you want to do with it.
If you are looking to fully or even partially restore it things can get quite pricey. An example two reproduction front seats complete will be $1000+ for authentic looking ones.

I wouldn't pay more than a couple of hundred bucks for a real junker.

Look at the tool box under the passenger seat. Most have rust holes but if it is in good shape it is usually a good indication it might be worth using.
I would look at the "hat channels". They run under the floor from the frame extending out just behind where the front fenders end. These have wood inside. If these are rotted out it means more work.
Check the steering. They have a crazy setup that uses a bell crank, have someone move the wheel back and forth and you can look down through the open hood to see what is toast. I would buy rebuild kits for all the steering joint if I were you anyhow.

Bottom line

-Junkers
Great sources for parts for those who are doing a restoration. They are also great for building a serious 4x4 with big tires because you will swap everything out anyhow. Quite easy to find them in this shape I know of several.
$200 to $1000

-Good condition
Still around and I feel should be left as close to original as possible. I hate to hear of guys hacking up great Jeeps to build trail machines, use the junkers for that. If the flat fender you are looking at has one of the more desirable/collectable features it can have substantially more value. Even if it isn't running but the frame and tub are great it can be a real plus.
$1000 to $3000

[8]

P.S. get me the serial number and post some pictures and I'll give you my opinion if you want. Not that I know it all but I have a couple of these and have been into them for years.

Remember a skirt can be a kilt but high heels are always high heels.
Write that down.

wade and cleatus
10-30-2003, 01:02 PM
Another good response, yes, its got papers, i'll check into the serial # but i have no pics or the ability to post them. There is no tool box under the seat, i forgot to add thats the other part thats not original. In its place is an alum gas thank. The seats are original though, and in good shape too. This jeep is pretty tight and in good condition, especially since it was spared from being bushwacked for the past 30 years.

imported_n/a
11-07-2003, 09:06 PM
A good friend of mine just picked up a 58 cj for $800 with a crap load of extra parts but it was in pieces (someone elses project that was left to rot) he is doing a ground up and has a lot of good sources for original parts out of the states (this is his 4th rebuild on a jeep)
The body is rough but fixable and the frame is solid..
I would say under $1000 max...