PDA

View Full Version : Chevy 3.4 Q's

S15Andrea
10-16-2003, 09:52 AM
I'm planing on saving my pennys so i can do an engine swap for next year. I'm wondering if anyone has done a 3.4 swap. I NEED to chuck this 2putt8, and the 3.4 is a drop in :D.
My research so far says i need a 93-95 Camaro or Firebird engine. But i havn't really seen any 4 sale. Are they to rare? or? ? ?
If i cannot get this engine i will go with the 4.3 (i'd go 350, but i'm not willing to do ANOTHER axel swap... at least just yet), but i rather stick to something where i do not have to change my T-Case and tranny (my tanny's a newer rebuild).

Just wondering if any of u Chevy folk have any ideas.
I'm still in the research process, having no job + no $$$ = no fun truck stuff.

OH and does anyone know where i can get good deal on shocks?

Thanx
[a]

mUD uCKeR
10-16-2003, 10:48 AM
From what i remember from my s-10 days. A 3.4 swap was out of the question because it was hard to find and expensive to get parts for. You'r better off just to save up for the 350 swap. The engines are cheap and parts are plentiful. You'll have to find a auto tranny and t-case from a 4.3 s-10, but a they are out there. and it would bolt right in. I bet for the same cost of a 3.4 you could get a 350 in there and be laughing in the power and torque department compared to the 3.4
As for shocks, wait for a place having a 4 for 3 sale or something like that. Everywhere i know is really close in price, just find the place that has them on sale currently. Get an adjustable rancho 9000 or something that is suited to your vehicle. Example, don't do what i did and put rancho 5000's in a jeep that are too long. Way to stiff, and not enough up travel.

87 YJ, 2.5" BL, 3" Susp Lift, 8274 warn. 31" MT/s, no lockers, and beat to shit.

Goatz
10-16-2003, 11:56 AM
i would go with a crate engine they even come with a warranty
here is the link http://www.gmpartsdepot.com/store/category.asp?SID=8&SID=8&Category_ID=7&src=overture&kw=chevy_crate_engine

87 ranger with full interior roll cage on 38 tsl's on the outside but 79 bronco at heart

S15Andrea
10-17-2003, 10:42 AM
The crate engine is for 1982 - 1985, and i'm a 87 (Fule injection ect.). I had all ready looked into that option, but thanks.
Plus a brand new ones alot of $$ i don't have :( I'm hoping 2 find something used.

mUD uCKeR
10-17-2003, 11:52 AM
4.3 in the forsale section would work nice. Plus the 4.3 at PYP that is mentioned in kelowna. I would be all over that one if it is in good shape.

87 YJ, 2.5" BL, 3" Susp Lift, 8274 warn. 31" MT/s, no lockers, and beat to shit.

u2slow
11-08-2003, 10:58 AM
You can re-use the 2.8L transmission and t-case with careful part selection. Main item is to find a SBC-type bellhousing with hydraulic slave cylinder. Then use the 2.8L clutch disc, with a pressure plate from the same application as the bellhousing. I believe the exact combination of junk it outlined in this book (they even have it at some libraries)

http://www.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/58/S10_BOOK