PDA

View Full Version : How to crawl

Dakguy
10-02-2003, 10:56 AM
The other BC site has very little on the subject and Pirate is too tough a crowd to have the discussion of crawl ratios for Samurai's, I don't need to be called newb and fawker and the rest of it. I am trying to figure out the best route to go, gears, doubling t-case, klune, toyota parts? I am hoping that someone on this board has done one of the above (I know someone has gears) and would like to discuss pro's and cons's. I may be nuts but I bought a Samurai to mess around with and gears is too run of the mill, I'd really like to find a way to run a doubled t case. I am going to end up ripping out my hair?

Of all my friends, I like beer the best!

sj-x 500
10-02-2003, 01:49 PM
if you have a twin sammi t-case, you'll end up with about a 12% or so reduction in high gear and about... 5.XX lo-lo range, and end up with theh ability to have 2wd lo. what i'd do, is find a divorced t-case with a central output. some nissan 4x's have them, i think i saw one on a trooper too. i don't know much about the gears them selves. but it'll work only if the drive line is able to clear the first t-case. you might have to mount it on it's side or somethin like that, i'm not too sure. or you get your self a rock lobster, grs, or grs2 t-case, and get the same result. get 2 front diffs from trackers, the auto's are 4.63 as opposed to your stock 3.73's, and the manual trackers have a 5.12. toyota axles normally have 4.10 gears, which is still better then 3.73's, are wider, stronger more common blah balah blah. but have a centered diff. this means that for vibration free operation, you need a double carden from a toyota drive shaft. or if you feel smart, take the divorced t-case from a nissan or trooper, and the axles from the toyota, and problem solved for the drive line, but you end up with about the same final gear reduction. i guess it all depends on what you wanna spend. just remember, a sammi with 31's and lockers will go as far as a sammi on 35 and open *more or less*

84 sj410 with 16v w/EFI, auto 4-spd, 4.63 gears, 7 inches wider then stock, 31x10.50 mickey thompson baja claws, 6 + inches of lift
broken u-joint count: 2

Tuner Inside
10-02-2003, 05:39 PM
The question is what do you have and what do you plan on doing? Untilwe know that I cant even guess....

<center>http://www.members.shaw.ca/hreidie/Caterpillar.gif</center>
<center>Project Caterpillar 410</center>
<center>Revolution!!!!</center>

sj-x 500
10-02-2003, 06:00 PM
too many options out there.

84 sj410 with 16v w/EFI, auto 4-spd, 4.63 gears, 7 inches wider then stock, 31x10.50 mickey thompson baja claws, 6 + inches of lift

Tuner Inside
10-02-2003, 06:22 PM
Shut up you tool. I just wanted to know what he has and what he wants to do with his oversized quad you geek. Go back to cruising the highschool for cheap dates.........

muky
10-02-2003, 06:51 PM
BURN [10]

You can take the boy out of the country, but you cant take the country out of the boy.

sj-x 500
10-02-2003, 07:19 PM
[!][10] i'm hurt...[2]
oh well.. back to the fun[31]

barracuda
10-02-2003, 08:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tuner Inside

Go back to cruising the highschool for cheap dates.........

Hey turner do you have a line on cheap dates at highschools??[:X][:0][:X]

Dude the very thought of that is making me firm[:p][:p]

Lets see some picsss!!!

AQhh shit was that my out loud voice again[36][39][36][39]

"A level" mobile welder
migImage Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/barracuda/200361401938_scan0001.jpg
32.46 KB

,tig,alum spool,stick
email me if you want some work done

The way to a mans heart is through his zipper!!!

FU Toolbag
10-02-2003, 10:56 PM
I used the stock lj80 case and mated it to a nissan case. I had to tilt the nissan case onto about 20degree angle so it would line up with the sammi axles. The nissan case has a input that is over top of the front output, with the front and rear output both directly below it. This also drops both output shafts. one drawback is that I haven't found any way to twinstick it.

The final drive I never did calculate out but I was just as slow as a Jeep rubicon with the tera low case. I've pulled that whole setup out as the stock 800cc motor was gutless and it was time for more power.

Where are you? I've got 2 spare ones here if you want to see one out.

OKOR[f]
[!]HUMMER

Dakguy
10-03-2003, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, I guess I should give you a little more to work with. I have an 86 lwb, currently SPOA, 31s, open,open. I am not worried about tunnel mods or modifying the stock setup at all, but before I do I would like to ensure the route I'm taking is not going to kick me in the nuts first run out. Thanks for input Okor(I'm in Langley), do you have any pics or dimensions of that setup, that sounds like something that I would look a little closer at. I don't see myself needing 200:1 anytime in the near future but getting into the 60+ range would certainly give me a more enjoyable crawl speed. I usually go out with two other zuk's and we all agreed that we would take different approaches to our buildups to see what works best and the lockers with gears is being worked on by one of the other guys. The bottom line on my buildup is to have an end product that is drivable to and from the trails (by choice, it's setup for flat tow already) and have a setup that is not the same as 100 others. Thanks again guys

Of all my friends, I like beer the best!

Tuner Inside
10-04-2003, 03:12 PM
If i get Turner on more time im going to send them in a basket pre ball gagged to OKOR.

jeeper
10-04-2003, 06:36 PM
Hey Dakguy..

Welcome to the site ! If you havent figured it out yet (after reading a few posts) WE are all here because we love to wheel(have funinbc) etc ... but we arent very politically correct ! So post , have fun ,, and dont get upset if someone says their gears reduction is better then yours ( we all know mines the best) sO POST AWAY ! And (unfortunatley ) there are many zuki type peoples here to answer lots of questions . and some very very knowladgeble !(was that a word??) Anyways again welcome and have fun ----Bruce

....o_o_o_o
./| ,[_____],
|ŻŻŻL--O|||||||O_
()_)Ż()_) ŻŻŻ )_)

Tuner Inside
10-04-2003, 07:31 PM
And if we can't answer your questions go directly to PIRATE4X4 and prepare to be ass raped. The gods are there man. But know what you are asking. And try a search first.

If not we will see what we can help you with here.

FU Toolbag
10-04-2003, 08:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tuner Inside

If i get Turner on more time im going to send them in a basket pre ball gagged to OKOR.

What??

OKOR[f]
[!]HUMMER

giant green sammy
10-09-2003, 08:13 AM
?????
it's tuner......

need i say more?
oh and go with a rock lobster, if you are looking for a good crawling speed.....

85 sammy 6" lift a couple other mods
OFF CAMBER member

sj-x 500
10-09-2003, 04:26 PM
sumo!! 6:1! can't beat that!