PDA

View Full Version : Something I noticed

KBB
09-03-2003, 03:11 PM
So there I was reading my magazine the other day and I noticed something that was just wrong.I noticed some cyclinders in the back of one of the buggies.Take a look, in the mag. (4wheel and offroad)
They are green. Anyway, They havn't really responded back yet. Just a thank you email.
I have enclosed a email I sent to them.

I noticed on page 112 of the Septemer 2003 issue that there is a picture of a 95 YJ with two bottles of R-22 (Monochlorodifluoromethane) refrigerant in the back of the rig. I am an HVAC mechanic and recognize the light green cylinder and the shipping box in the back with the cooler.

First of all, I hope the motorist isn't using this to inflate his tires. Of course I can't imagine any other reason someone would carry two cylinders of the stuff on a run except for that use. When released into the atmosphere this refrigerant damages our ozone layer, which as we all know is a serious environmental concern affecting us all. Secondly, R-22 is a tightly controlled substance, and it is illegal to use it in this manner both in the US and in Canada.

As 4-Wheel & Off-Road is a reputable magazine that promotes responsible four wheeling I am sure you want to point out to your readers that using a refrigerant in this manner is not acceptable.

Jeff -------
Kelowna
British Columbia

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/killerbugsbunny/200371305027_the%20finger.jpg Carnage 4x4

crazy j
09-03-2003, 03:55 PM
dont have the mag - but could he be using them to store compressed air or co2?

tell your mom, i said thanks!

lizard
09-03-2003, 04:07 PM
I think the same applys to the containers...right killer?

KBB
09-03-2003, 04:23 PM
No! They have one-way check valves and can't be refilled - even if you could they wouldn't store that much air - only about 2 gals...

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/killerbugsbunny/200371305027_the%20finger.jpg Carnage 4x4

KBB
11-10-2003, 03:19 PM
Check out the letters section of Petersens 4Wheel & OffRoad...

[8D]

Broncoo
11-10-2003, 03:22 PM
cool i go buy to see

broncorandy
11-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Hey Jeff nice to see a responce from someone close to home and not just the states. I read your write up about a week ago and didnt realize that it came from someone in kelowna must have missed it. The write up is in the peterson 4wheel @ off road december mag. By the way nice catch on the bottles of r-22, Ive tryed to write back but none of my letters have made it in.

kootenaycat
11-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Was wondering who wrote that, saw it was from BC! Did you see the sunken 4Runner a few months back? The guy was from my area and I got the pleasure (not!) of working on it after. He says in the article that it fired right up, but he fails to mention that he had to bring it in to get a bunch of electrical nightmares sorted out!