PDA

View Full Version : Body Lift?

imported_n/a
08-14-2003, 03:48 PM
My buddy has bought an 84/85 chevy blazer s-10. Just a pup. He was curious to what is involved in a bodylift. How high is good? 2,3,4 inches? Is there kits available? Can you do it yourself without a kit. How big of tires can you go? He wants to run 33's. I am mechanicaly knowledgable, so any explinations wont go over my head.
I'm wondering about linkages, fan shroud, bumpers, fuel filler,etc.
any help would be appreciated. thanx

Yo Quiero Taco Bell!

FU Toolbag
08-14-2003, 03:58 PM
ask magna.
Baby blaz is just about the same.

OKOR[f]
[!]HUMMER

Sonofx51
08-14-2003, 04:04 PM
I bought a 3 inch lift for my s10 blazer, and it wouldnt fit. there isnt enough slack in the wiring harness with the 4.3L

imported_n/a
08-14-2003, 04:10 PM
i think it's a 2.8L carb

Yo Quiero Taco Bell!

Magna
08-14-2003, 05:29 PM
Okor dropped by the day I was doing my lift, and ended-up staying and helping.

An 84/85 S10 Blazer....same body/frame as my '86. I also have the 2.8 except TBI.

It's really basic and straightforward. Just a couple of points.

I bought the TrailMaster 3" bodylift kit. It's quite complete and it was also almost $100 cheaper than any other. I paid $120 at Lordco.

You won't get 33's on there when you're done unless you do some major trimming. Even with 31's you may need to trim the bottom-rear of the front fenders.

I'm suprised that Sonofx's truck doesn't have enough slack in the wire harness...most vehicles have plenty of slack. But I never looked at the 4.3's setup. You shouldn't have that problem, I didn't.

If you have an automatic, you'll have to extend the shift linkage. Not sure what you'd have to do for a standard. You'll also have to extend the t-case linkage. Thanks to Okor for the welding.

You'll have to cut a large notch out of the lower fan shroud. Or do what I did and make some 3" brackets to drop the lower shroud and then fill in the gap with fibreglass, plastic, or whatever else you like.

When jacking up the body, take your time and watch for wiring and brake line (by the master cylinder) being pulled tight.

OFF-CAMBER
I have all the answers......as long as I get to ask the questions.

jay4x4play
08-14-2003, 05:47 PM
Theses lifts are easy, took me 3.5 hours to do mine by myself. 33's with a 2putt8 have fun mine struggles with 31's, guttlesswonder.

http://www.jay4x4play.tk/

I am CANADIAN

KBB
08-14-2003, 06:23 PM
Come on, you didn't do it yourself.

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/killerbugsbunny/200371305027_the%20finger.jpg Carnage 4x4

Goatz
08-15-2003, 02:52 AM
with a stanard you just have to cut the shifter holes bigger,as for 33" tires they won't fit with a body lift i used to have one an s10 pickup the absolute biggest tire i could fit was 32x10.5x15 super swampers radials then i had to put diferent rims on that made the tires stick out 2", i used 5 spoke iroc rims they worked great.
but i also had to do major fender triming, even had to cut into the fire wall and use a hammer(big) to gain extra clearance.
hope that helps

jay4x4play
08-15-2003, 01:46 PM
Didn't have to cut the shifter holes bigger on mine nor did I extend the t-case linkage, just the had to cut the fan shroud and extend the fuel tank filler hose.

http://www.jay4x4play.tk/

I am CANADIAN