PDA

View Full Version : 350 / SM465 / NP 205 in my YJ this weekend.

mUD uCKeR
08-13-2003, 09:06 AM
YEah... gonna try and do that this weekend. Just wondering if anyone had any last minute tips on doin this... or if anyone feels like it would be educational for them to help... Will supply beer.

Not sure how i am gonna deal with... exhaust, fuel, cooling, or driveshafts yet... but, it wouldn't be any fun otherwise.

I can't wait to get some real power into that thing.

I got a jeep, and it never seems to look the same.

Broncoo
08-13-2003, 02:14 PM
what are ya usin for a tranny mount/crossmember?as for a rad check to see if a rad from a 360 equiped cj will fit

OK4x4

mUD uCKeR
08-13-2003, 02:28 PM
I think i am jsut gonna drill some holes in the stock skid pan like the stock setup for now. Later on i am gonna make something stiffer. I would like to make it mount flush with the underside of the frame rails, but i don't know where the mount is gonna sit yet for height.
Good idea on the rad... Did you ever get that issue of your fan and rad fighting for space delt with...?

87 YJ, 2.5" BL, 3" Susp Lift, 8274 warn. 31" MT/s, no lockers, and beat to shit.

Broncoo
08-13-2003, 08:22 PM
no i did not get my rad/fan issues dealt with but what i am going to do (truck off the road right now) is maybe put the rad out back in place of a tailgate and use electric fans this way i can use whatever rad i want. there are many other things i would like to change i have a list and it is long i also need to get my heads r/b cuz i keep blowing the pass side head gasket! so i plan on having it back on the trails for late winter/early spring

OK4x4

mUD uCKeR
08-18-2003, 07:48 AM
Well, i got the engine out this weekend. One motor mount off. Only got in about 6 hours on it... Got called out for Search and Rescue handing out Evac notices... [V]
But, one another note, it was nice to see that shit of a 4.2 come out of there.
Now just to measure it up, and get that 350 in there. Next weekend i guess.

87 YJ, 2.5" BL, 3" Susp Lift, 8274 warn. 31" MT/s, no lockers, and beat to shit.

mUD uCKeR
08-25-2003, 01:25 PM
oKAY... Got the 350 in there and the motor mounts welded down this weekend. The stock skid pan... Just ain't gonna work as a crossmember. Gonna build one now, that will be next weekend. Other than that, i just have to hunt down all my accessories and figure out this rad/cooling problem, i don't wanna have to buy an aftermarket thing, but that might have to happen.
That 350 looks tiny sittin there actually, but it sure is sweet to think about, i can't wait to take it out once it's in there with the dana 44's. On that thought, i am not going SOA, talking with a few guys, i would loose my daily driver capability by doing that due to steering isses. Oh well, i think i could get 33's under it quite easily, i could try going soa later down the road. I don't think I am able to take my body lift out either like i wanted, more because i like the extra space it offers for the engine. This way i can make my shock mounts longer and that other crap too. I might fit 35's with the body lift and chopping my fenders. I will post some pictures if I can once the job is all done, I have been shooting photo's throughout the project.
Anyways, just an update in case people were paying attention.

Broncoo
08-25-2003, 06:50 PM
are you going to have it ready for spring?

OK4x4

FU Toolbag
08-25-2003, 08:07 PM
Why ditch the spring over? It's the cheapest lift available. A couple hours and you got 4-6 inches, still with stock cumfort. The steering problem is nothing to be to worried about. Just think outside the box.

OKOR[f]
[!]HUMMER

mUD uCKeR
08-25-2003, 09:11 PM
Ready by spring...?!? Shit... i gotta drive this thing all winter, I hope it's done by the end of the month. One more weekend for the crossmember, accessories, and measureing things like driveshafts. And then the week after i should be able to have her almost back together. I am gonna have to take a trip to PYP soon too though. I am gonna need a few odds and ends, as well as some ford hubs and stuff like that for fixing the scout axles before they go in.
As for not doing the SOA. Well, i already got 3" lift springs, and a 2 1/2" body lift... So, it is up there. I am gonna try and cut the body lift down a bit if I can, and then add some longer shackles maybe. If i do the SOA, i will be sitting somewhere around 10" if lift, and my steering will be all messed up. So, if i can get the dana 44's in there with the 350, I will see how i like it, i can always change it again next year if it isn't enough. Can still trim a bit out of my fenders and maybe go to some TJ flares or something gay like that if i have to as well. If i could get 35's to fit under it with some space for flexing, i would be grinning.

Broncoo
08-26-2003, 02:48 PM
don't forget stuff like brake lines, shocks,exhaust,new wheels etc. good luck finding anything resembling a hub at pyp all the 4wd stuff is ripped off all the way down to the knuckles oh and don't forget the little things that pop up and piss you off those are the most expensive let me know when your goin to pyp i'll go with ya

OK4x4

mUD uCKeR
08-26-2003, 07:48 PM
Sounds good man... Yeah, i figure i gotta check anyways... I am hoping i can find some good knuckles and spindles from a waggy. I also need a driveshafts ect. I will let you know when i go. I know all about the small shit. I am already gettin dinged for slave cylinders and bellhousing shit ect... Looks like i am gonna have a rad made for this thing too I think.. :(

Broncoo
08-26-2003, 08:55 PM
i just got a rad from pyp the thing is almost brand new maybe we can find somthing for ya
what are the dims of the rad you need? and location of inlet/outlet? i know for a fact there are a few waggy d44's out at pyp driveshafts are hard to find tho

OK4x4

mUD uCKeR
08-27-2003, 06:27 AM
I am not sure on the dimensions. I didn't measure the thing yet. I will when i go out there this weekend. The thing is the jeep mounts the rad with bolts on a fange that is on the side of the rad. Never seen anything like it before, So i think i am gonna end up stuck getting one built.
What time is PYP open to these days now...? I might have to drive down one night after work. Do you know what the special is this weekend...?
This is what i need.
- rad that will work in the jeep
- chev SB starter
- alternator bracketry (alt if it's a good one)
- power steering pump bracketry
- Good electric fans (2) of em if i can find the bigger ones
- slave cylinder for a 85 - 91 chevy with a 4spd (I know, good luck) but you never know.
- flat top knuckes (these will be sitting right next to the fuel injected 454 in there.
- chevy/jeep small bearing spindles
- ford front hubs (f150)
- set of caddy rear disc calipers

Lots of stuff to look for, I doubt i will find most of it, but i have to look. Otherwise i will go broke buying it anywhere else.

mUD uCKeR
09-02-2003, 06:10 AM
Well, got the corssmember in this weekend finally. Also found the right chevy hydraulic clutch accessories and installed them. Changed the rear main seal. Engine looks like a nicely balanced 350 4 bolt main... :D
Engine is sitting in the heep for good, and shouldn't need to come back out. Need to find coshions to mount the tranny. Measure my drivshaft for the rear. Hook up everything. And then ripe out the 100 ft of extra wiring harness for the old shitty ECM.
I can't wait... on another note, i scored a set of 4.10 gears for my dana 44 and set of high steer knuckles/spindles from pick a part on the weekend.

mUD uCKeR
09-22-2003, 07:15 AM
Well, got the jeep running again this weekend. Rear driveshaft hooked up... radiator in there. Was playing with the carb trying to get it to idle better... and the fuel pump went right away. Changing it today... hopefully get exhaust on it this weekend. And be driving it by the weekend. Sure put a grin on my face when she fired up first crank. Took it for a boot around the yard, and it's gonna be awesome... :D

mUD uCKeR
10-07-2003, 11:06 AM
Well... Just an update... the 350 is in and running!!! Still having q-jet problems, but it's drivable. I ruined my rear driveshaft with it... bad driveshaft is the main reason.
Lots of torqe compared too before... It's an amazing feeling to pass someone going up hill in the jeep.... and still be accelerating... without taking a huge run at the hill.
Now i just have to tweak it a bit, and get those dana 44's in there. I have picturs and will post when i get the film developed.

mUD uCKeR
10-23-2003, 09:35 AM
Update on the jeep 350 thing... Engine was garbaged out... Ended up having to pull the whole thing back out again. Did this last thursday evening. Tore it apart on the weekend. Needed heads, and the rings were caput. So off to lordco.... fun.
Anyways, $1000 later, and one week of cleaning parts and messing around, we are putting it back together. .001 under bearings and a hone job, it should work good... Everything is fitting real nice regardless of not boring hte block... (it was already .030 over) and i don't have cash or time for a full fledged re-build. New re-man heads... [V]
Got the pistons in last night, and the heads on top... gonna tighten everything down tonight, and seal and paint the block too. Hopefully be putting it back in on friday, and fire it up saturday morning.
Everything else has been put on hold until this is working again.
I am also having problems with my hydraulic clutch. The master cylinder is pumping fluid into the resevoir instead of the slave cylinder sometimes. I am hoping it's just air, as it's a new master, but i have been bleeding it lots, and it doesn't seem to want to come out. I might have to pull it all off and bench bleed it again.

imported_n/a
10-23-2003, 09:57 PM
Man you get an "A" for effort. Good for you for not giving up. Keep it up, you will get it figured out soon I'll bet. [3]

[8]

Remember a skirt can be a kilt but high heels are always high heels.
Write that down.

mUD uCKeR
10-24-2003, 05:40 AM
ha ha... "A" for effort... I'd rather be out 4xing than pissing around with it still... going on 7 or 8 weeks now since i originally pulled the I-6 out of er... I went wheeling maybe three times this year... [V]

FU Toolbag
10-24-2003, 08:27 AM
It sounds like a ripped O ring on your master. A new master should solve your ploblem. Sorry to hear bout the dead mill. I've felt that pain before. It sucks.

OKOR[f]
72 super beatle
1 lwb Sammi- 2.4 deisel
1 lwb sammi "avalanch"
1 suzuki lj 80- toy axles, 2.3 turbo power
1 69 tlc- straight frame, 350 power
1 75 tlc-custom everything
1 76 tlc-stock, not for long
1 80 bronko-efi460-sycadelic.
1 98 FJ40, 4 tones'o'fun

mUD uCKeR
10-24-2003, 10:11 AM
You say ripped o-ring...? That bites ass... It's a new master... What the fuck... Guess i will be taking it out now to check. Wait a minute, if the oil ring was ripped... wouldn't the fluid be pouring into my jeep from the back end of the master cylinder...?

Goatz
10-24-2003, 08:21 PM
keep it up ur almost there,

87 ranger with full interior roll cage on 38 tsl's on the outside but 79 bronco at heart

FU Toolbag
10-24-2003, 10:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by mUD uCKeR

You say ripped o-ring...? That bites ass... It's a new master... What the fuck... Guess i will be taking it out now to check. Wait a minute, if the oil ring was ripped... wouldn't the fluid be pouring into my jeep from the back end of the master cylinder...?

Riped might not be the right term, cut, worn, whatever, just broke. The ones I've worked on have 2 or 3. Only one gets the abuse. the other one or two are there to keep it from leaking into the cab. Another possibility is a score on the cylinder wall in the master. Either way, that's most likely your problem. A buddy of mine had one on a hybread that had too much return pressure on the slave cylynder. That combined with it being out of adjustment, he usually had to pump it to get it to work. Not likely, but has happened before.

OKOR[f]
72 super beatle
1 lwb Sammi- 2.4 deisel
1 lwb sammi "avalanch"
1 suzuki lj 80- toy axles, 2.3 turbo power
1 69 tlc- straight frame, 350 power
1 75 tlc-custom everything
1 76 tlc-stock, not for long
1 80 bronko-efi460-sycadelic.
1 98 FJ40, 4 tones'o'fun

mUD uCKeR
10-26-2003, 03:03 PM
Yeah, so after all that... the engine still fouls the plugs after driving it around a bit... Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck...
I am really getting sick of this shit. Guess it's time to haul the intake back off and see if it's sucking in oil from the lifter galley... On anohter note... we tried bleeding the clutch... it worked well, until this morning anyways... but, the engine wouldn't idle, so i was more pissed about that. Good thing the girlfriend was here this weekend to keep me from taking a hammer to the whole damn fucking thing... [13]

Broncoo
10-26-2003, 03:08 PM
did you r/b your heads? or consider a blown head gasket?

mUD uCKeR
10-27-2003, 06:16 AM
Got exchanged heads from lordco... re-man'ed ones. They looked okay. New head gasket... all new bearings blah blah blah. The only thing i didn't re-place was the old single plane high rise intake manifold. I think it must be warped and not sealing down to the heads... must be using vacum and sucking in oil from the lifter gallery i think. I will pull it apart AGAIN after work. Just gonna go get a edlbrock performer and slap it on there... hope it works... I should probably get a new carb while i am at it too...

crazy j
10-27-2003, 08:28 AM
this may sound dumb, but ive seen it overlooked before.
is the crankcase vented properly? i mean the pcv valve and breather. ive seen some aftermarket valve covers that are missing one of them or they end up getting plugged off. the built up pressure usually blows oil throught the intake gasket.

if in doubt.........[33]

mUD uCKeR
10-27-2003, 09:30 AM
Put on a new PCV valve, and new gommets in the valve covers. The splash screen on the vent going to the air cleaner might be messed, but i remember blowing thru it and it being okay. I will check it before i tear it apart... Good thought though.
Talked to lordco about getting a new carb and a performer intake already, probably tear it apart tonight and see what's going on if i can... Put it back together tomorrow I guess.
Crazy J... Do you know anyone that could install the gears into my Dana 44's for a reasonable cost. I need someone who would be okay with me helping, so i can do it the next time by myself.

Goatz
10-27-2003, 09:35 AM
well i hope u get i to run, thats always shitty when that happens

87 ranger with full interior roll cage on 38 tsl's on the outside but 79 bronco at heart

mUD uCKeR
10-27-2003, 10:41 AM
Yep it sucks... The buddy who helped me put it together is pretty sure it's the intake. He's built 1000's of chevy SBC, and mentioned that these intakes will do that... it's rare he said, but it's the only place really where the oil can come from. Lordco has one, i am picking it up after work... On foot... walking... because the stupid F'in thing won't even idle enough to let itself warm up and let me drive it out of the driveway.

mUD uCKeR
10-28-2003, 07:08 PM
Finally got the other intake on there, and it seems to have fixed the problem... after it ran for a bit and burnt all the oil out of the cylinders, it seems okay... the whole jeep vibrates when it rev's up though... no sure what's with that. Seems almost like something is out of balance. Guess I will drive it a few days and see what happens...
I think my yoke on my rear diff is messed up too. the straps won't hold the u-joint tight. Tried flattening hte straps, tried getting new strapps... tried hammering the small keepers at each end in a bit... one broke off. Stuck some rubber hose under the straps. To tighten the straps up... that seems to work okay... I don't like it much though... Anyone have any other ideas...?

mUD uCKeR
11-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Got it finally running good... new carb fixed it right up... no problem now... SWEEEEEEEEEEET Back to building some Diff's.