PDA

View Full Version : Guttin the jeep... NEED MORE POWER..

mUD uCKeR
07-14-2003, 11:41 AM
Anyone on here have any idea on what it would be like sliding a 350/SM465/NP205 into a Jeep YJ...?
As well as switching to SOA with Scout Dana 44's.
Darnit... I got a lot of work to do... [V]

I got a jeep, and it never seems to look the same.

FU Toolbag
07-14-2003, 11:42 PM
have shoehorn, will travel

OKOR[f]
[!]HUMMER

mUD uCKeR
07-15-2003, 05:52 AM
What's that Okor...? Ya wanna do all the labour for me... Sweeet. Free... even better... :D LOL... yeah right.
I dunno... i am tossing around the idea of trying to get a 4-link coil setup under it... But i am scared i will tear it all apart and not get around to puttin it back together... [V]. Don't have a shop at my apartment... and only have my one tool box with me... No welder, no torches... I tell yea, i feel deprived. [V] I gotta go find a shop i can live in... LOL

mUD uCKeR
07-15-2003, 05:55 AM
I got the axles... just need to tear them apart and put them back together with the right stuff. (high steer knuckles) chevy spindles, ford hubs, I want to put the caddy discs on the rear axle to first I also have the 350, SM465, NP205... just gotta put it in...
I have all this stuff to do... and no where to do it... it's drivin me nuts... [j]

Magna
07-17-2003, 09:07 AM
I know the feeling:(

OFF-CAMBER
I have all the answers......as long as I get to ask the questions.

jeeper
07-17-2003, 07:58 PM
Hey mubucker ,,,, Where do you live??

....o_o_o_o
./| ,[_____],
|ŻŻŻL--O|||||||O_
()_)Ż()_) ŻŻŻ )_)
Ignorance is BLIX

mUD uCKeR
07-18-2003, 06:37 AM
I live in Salmon Arm... I have an uncle that has a shop over in scotch Creek, but it's a ways to go just to work on the Jeep every night. And he stays fairly busy, ie, it's a pain for me to leave my junk lying around, and if i leave it out of the way, i can't reach the shop easily with air tools, torchs, ect. But, I am thinking that's what i am gonna have to do... Oh well, if i can install the Lift kit in the street in front of my apartment with a jackall and hand tools... I should be able to do this somehow. [9] Wow, did i ever get some strange looks...

imported_n/a
07-27-2003, 10:18 AM
Been there done that.

Are using scout axles?

If you are and want to save some money on the front axle I have access some rare flat top D44 J20 knuckles that your Scout spindles (8 hole) will bolt up to. You can then use the brakes and hubs you have now.

P.S. don't buy Scout brake parts for the front buy Chev truck. They are the same parts but only cheaper.

[8]

Remember a skirt can be a kilt but high heels are always high heels.
Write that down.

mUD uCKeR
07-28-2003, 07:45 AM
Yeah, i am using the scout axles. I was gonna use ford hubs though... that way i can match the rear bolt pattern. Need to find some 73 to 76 chev spindles... and a few other things... Like the flat top high steer knuckles you're talking about. What do you want for them... and where are you located...?

imported_n/a
07-28-2003, 05:49 PM
quote:I was gonna use ford hubs though... that way i can match the rear bolt pattern.
What are you useing for a rear axle? Your not talking about using Ranger hubs to match your D35 are you? Hang on I don't know what your doing so I'll wait to hear your responce before I spout off.
Scout D44 rear axles are cheap and may be cheaper than the front axle hub/spindle/brake conversion you are talking about.

My knuckles wont work with chev spindles unless you redrill them. It would be better for you to just get the chev ones I think.

I'm in Kelowna when I'm in Canada.

[8]

Write that down.

Broncoo
07-28-2003, 06:58 PM
i think he has scout rear D44 too right ucker if you want fairly easy to find knuckles for hi-steer go with chev flat tops i can't remember which years but they are easy to find and you can use the chev spindles and ford hubs with ford rotors and wheel bearings you could even go to 8-lug if you had a rear axle to match

8-ball as for the ranger hubs they won't fit on a d44 they are d28 or d35 ttb parts and are very weak anyways

OK4x4

imported_n/a
07-28-2003, 07:46 PM
quote:Yeah, i am using the scout axles. I was gonna use ford hubs though... that way i can match the rear bolt pattern.
I guess I missed the "s" on "axles". I was trying to figure out why he was trying to match up the rear to Ford when the Scout already does. I wasn't suggesting he use the Ranger stuff I thought he may have had the stock d35 or an 8.8 rear axle. Maybe he is talking Ford because I mentioned Chev Brakes in the previous post. Man I'm all fucked up.
Any how I would use the Ford spindles and hubs based on the fact they are internal hubs. But my thinking was J20 knuckle will fit Scout spindle and hub (external though) Scout rotor, Chev caliper and pads. This way he would save some money because he could use some of the parts he already had.
To be totally honest the Scout axles are going to be better than what you have already but not strong enough for the power you are using.

Write that down.

burnt03
07-29-2003, 03:25 AM
You sure do have a hard on for scout axles [22]

1978 FJ40 ("The Antichrist")

mUD uCKeR
07-29-2003, 06:07 AM
hA HA HA...
Yeah, i have the front and rear axle from a scout. Picked the set up for $150. I would like to put the chevy spindles, Chevy flat top knuckles on, and then the hubs/rotors from a ford. I have all the years and everything already... For the rear, i am gonna strip it down, and put discs on the back. May as well, while i have it out.
The chevy 350/SM465/NP205 whould line up to the pumpkin fine. I just have to get it in there. I am gonna do the engine swap middle of august when my old man comes down. Ride around without the front diff hooked up for a while. Driveshafts are gonna be a real Pain in the ass i think though. I need to make a trip to PYP in kelwona and see how many of these parts i can find there. I have some machining to do to the diffs too. I need to reset the caster on the front by rotating the knuckles, and also set it up for SOA at the same time. She should be pretty high when that happens. I am hoping 35's will fit good when i take out the body lift i got in there 5.5" from SOA + 3" lift springs... = 8.5" . Maybe I would be able to keep up to bronco and crazyj if i can get all that done.. LOL. [a]

mUD uCKeR
07-29-2003, 06:17 AM
I think a dana 44 would be alright for a 350... I'll worry about it the day it breaks. I am gonna have to find a locker for it though or weld it... the diffs are both open... and the gears are only 3.55 :(. I guess it is better than the 3.07's in now... But, 4.10's would have been nice.

burnt03
07-29-2003, 12:42 PM
I meant 8ball

There's been a couple posts where he's extolled the virtues of the scout axle

Can't wait to see your heep when it's done, it is going to be bad ass

1978 FJ40 ("The Antichrist")

imported_n/a
07-29-2003, 01:40 PM
I never saw a Scout I didn't want to use for parts.:D
I had a CJ with Scout axles spring over 35's etc it was good at the time. I wouldn't use a D44 in the rear again unless I had a 4 or 6 cly. One thing about Scouts is they are cheap and super common. The rear axles shafts are also equal lengths so you only need to carry one spare but if your talking about using a 350 you had better take two.

Honestly I hate to rain on your parade mUD uCKeR but you should really be looking at a D60 or Corp14. I have broken D44 shafts with way less power than you are talking about.

[8]

Write that down.

mUD uCKeR
07-29-2003, 02:25 PM
I have a 14 bolt with 4:10's and a lockright in it, sittin under my old project truck that never got finished... so if i bust it... I can always use that. I just don't want wide axles under the heep... and don't want the hassle now of narrowing the 14 bolt. I got lots of junk i can have access to... just need time, and somewhere to do the work. Thanks Burnt... It's should be sweeet. :D
You're gonna have to do something with that cruiser... ;)

mUD uCKeR
07-29-2003, 02:27 PM
Oopps boo boo... that 14 bolt is in a truck.. not the jeep... I worded that wrong... [16]