PDA

View Full Version : xj 88

jason
04-18-2003, 06:19 AM
ive been wheeling around and have come to the conclusion that the jeep needs to get a locker or limited slip soon. so what should i consider,funds will be a factor. my transfer case is the 242 can u put a locker in the front(since the drive shaft turns all the time)

imported_n/a
04-22-2003, 01:14 PM
manual or auto hubs? if its manual hubs the front driveshaft spinning wouldnt make a diff in 2wd, but if its always in 4 then you will have steering issues. there wouldnt be any probs if you go with ARB or some selectable locker but these are big $$$, the cheapest lockers would be lockrights(correct if wrong) for your rig but these arent good at all for anything under a dana 44 axle. these would run around $250-$350 cdn i think

There aint no replacement for displacement

imported_n/a
04-27-2003, 07:04 AM
yeah, he's right. with a stock dana35, go for a limited slip, you need to get the carrier as well though, because the limited slip and open carriers are different (note that you can't put a locker in a limited slip carrier)

if you DO want a locker, the best route (after 2 years + of looking into it) is get a ford 8.8 out of an explorer (97+). you get lower gears (4.10 or 3.73), disc brakes, 8.8" of ring (1.5" more than your d35) and strong huge axle tubes. get a locker for this axle.

really, if you're serious enough about wheeling to get a locker, you're serious enough to get a rear swap done

imported_n/a
04-27-2003, 07:08 AM
that xj has auto hubs.