PDA

View Full Version : 81 Box bolts

lizard
03-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Iam swapping box's an was wondering were I can get some new bolts.I figured if someones done this before they know were to find em cheap.these are the long carriadge bolts (6)

[img=right]http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/lizard/20021230205626_lochness_monster_saying_hi_md_clr.g if[/img=right]

dont register me,dont censor me, dont F*CK with me

kootenaycat
03-02-2003, 08:43 PM
I've swapped a couple boxes over and bought mine from the local hardware store. Way cheaper then from dealer.

richsworkshop
03-02-2003, 09:00 PM
When I have changed them, I have used galvanized carriage bolts... :)

One thing though.... the heads are not as wide as the stock offering, so the mounting holes have to be in good shape. If the box is not in good shape around the mounting holes, then you can always pop in a stainless or galvanized washer on the head of the bolt to keep it from pulling through. There is usually enough friction to keep the bolt from turning while tightening it up. Be sure to use galvanized nuts/washers/locks as well for best performance.... well, you know, ease of removal in the future!:D

Rich [}:)]
(aka Stax)

"It's ALL GOOD!"

85_GMC_4x4
03-03-2003, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I went to a bolt supply store..

GM wanted $13 a bolt!!

85 GMC 3/4T 4x4
7" BDS suspension lift
35" Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Tires
Dual fuel propane/gas
Locked rear axle
Smiley face painted on diff cover

OFF CAMBER

lizard
03-03-2003, 12:55 PM
thanks guys, I use antiseeze on everything I take apart,best thing to do , nothings ever stuck after that.

[img=right]http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/lizard/20021230205626_lochness_monster_saying_hi_md_clr.g if[/img=right]

dont register me,dont censor me, dont F*CK with me

kootenaycat
03-03-2003, 08:34 PM
When I've swapped boxes, I used never-sieze too, and then put little red "condoms" over the ends of the threads! Actually the rubber condom thingys came with the fuel filters (to cover the ends in storage) when I worked at a Ford dealer. Had dozens in my tool box for a while.

lizard
03-04-2003, 02:27 PM
thats a good idea too, My grandpa ( a mechanic) used to cover the wheel lugs too, they could get pretty rusty from logging roads.no more snapped lugs.