View Full Version : What To DO
Well I was wondering what to do I am going to buy lockers I think and new gears 4.56 . What should I get Arb Detroit or ? . Donít really know too much about them I have 1 98 Tj and I donít know what to put in Ö Any one help
01-19-2003, 09:06 AM
I would say Detroit. ARB's will fail at some point. The cross shaft will break, you will have an air leak or you will have an electrical problem. Everyone I know with ARB's has had at least one of these failures. I am not impressed with them.
Now with that being said Detroits require you to drive maybe a little more cautiously in the winter. It's no big deal really lots of guys drive year round with Detroits. The ARB's can of course be switched off and they drive like an open dif. If you aren't good at getting a sence of what your vehicle is doing maybe an ARB is for you.
I have Detroits front and back, no problems... ever.
Top 10 Reasons . . .for having mechanical lockers in your Jeep (by Phil Jensen)
10. Occasional loud banging sound gives you an adrenaline rush that is better than coffee.
9. Excellent opportunity to demonstrate your superior mechanical understanding to your mechanic while explaining to him that, no . . . your rear end is not broken.
8. Your significant other won't ask to borrow your Jeep, cuz they are afraid to drive it after that parking lot incident.
7. Lane changes no longer require all that annoying effort of actually having to turn the steering wheel.
6. Beating sports cars off the line on wet pavement.
5. Having a 4X4 that actually turns more then two wheels.
4. Single lane U-turns.
3. Cool, brightly-colored "Warning: May Cause Injury or Death" stickers for your dash.
2. No need to plow snow from your driveway . . . ever.
And the Number One reason for having mechanical lockers in your Jeep:
1. Opens up a whole new and exciting hobby: Making fun of ARBs!!!
who much they run ya ? $$$$$$$
01-19-2003, 12:18 PM
I got mine years ago I think they were around $500 or $600 each my cost. Expect to pay more plus labour to install them. I'm sorry, I'm not sure what a shop would charge you. Make some calls around ask for the best price. Don't go with cheap offshore gears. They are junk. I only use the Dana gears. They cost more but I know that I can trust them.
vBulletin® v3.6.4, Copyright ©2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.