PDA

View Full Version : best tires for trail wheelin

OldEnuff
11-06-2002, 09:26 PM
I hope this question gets some discussion happening.
I think I can put 33 X 10.5 X 15 on the Bronco without rubbing in a tight turn. I have seen a bronco with 33 X 11.5 X 15 but couldn't get under his wheel wells to look for rub marks. The actual question is what brand of tire and what model is the best for doing trails. To me this means hills with rocks, loose dirt or whatever. I'm not keen on sinking the bronc in mud pits but I would like to be able to get through mud holes encounterd on the trail if needed. (the winch will help in all scenarios). Anyway what would you suggest as a good tire for this kind of use. Oh yeah, it's also my daily driver but I'm within 15 km of work so no long highway trips unless going wheelin'.
Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Jim

'85 Bronco
300 I6 SROD NP208 Warn 8274 and Custom Bumper
Still Stock, Lift and Tires Soon

"It doesn't matter where you go, there you are"

Just_some_asshole
11-07-2002, 04:43 AM
32x11.50 goodyear mtr's

9 outa 10 marriages end with a blow 2 the head

Honky
11-07-2002, 05:12 AM
Here is a good write up on them

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/goodyear_mtr35/page2.asp

OldEnuff
11-07-2002, 07:43 AM
I misstyped the tire size I saw on the bronco with no lift. It was acutally 32 X 11.50 X 15.

Nice link for the mtr's.

Looks like I'll be going for 32 X 11.5 X 15 mtr's!!
Now if that lucky lottery ticket would just work out for me.

thanks again

'85 Bronco
300 I6 SROD NP208 Warn 8274 and Custom Bumper
Still Stock, Lift and Tires Soon

"It doesn't matter where you go, there you are"

imported_n/a
11-07-2002, 08:52 AM
I have 31 10.5's Goodyear Wrangler ATS. I have been very happy with the tires. Like you, I live 15 min from work, and 60% of my driving is off road. I ended up blowing a tire last weekend, and had to look at possibly replacing 4 tires due to the size difference in wear- it is hard on the drivetrain and transfer case if the tread wear is not ewqual. Anyway, the next set of tires I want to get are either 33 12.5's or 33 10.5's. Yet I would require a 3" body lift minimum to get 33's underneath my 96 Ranger. Checking out prices, the goodyear At's are about $200 a tire on average. The BFG's are the only tire that garantees it's sidewalls from punctures etc... (3ply sidewall) and the AT's are a great tire. Go for the Mud terrains if you are boggin, but otherwise the AT's are much better in the snow. Check em out, I garantee ya they are most popular amongst wheelers.