PDA

View Full Version : '85 Bronco suspension

OldEnuff
09-30-2002, 05:29 PM
I just bought an '85 Bronco with the inline 6 and manual 4sp with od.
The powertrain is ok but the suspension, sheesh! Any washboard on the road and its into the bushes if you're not really paying attention. The suspension is stock and the shocks look stock as well. What is the best first thing to do to improve the suspension? I know throwing money at it would work but the $$'s are hard to come by.
Suggestions anyone??
Thanks in advance.

Jim

jeeper
10-01-2002, 04:54 AM
Whats hapenning is you are getting wheel hop ! Your shocks arent stopping your tires from bouncing and it literally will bounce you right of the road !I would suggest changing your shocks with some decent ones such as the rancho 5000 ,, or along that line !You are going to have to ask yourself the question first tho as to how long will it be before you change your suspension , You dont want to buy new shocks now and then have to buy shocks again in a few months because you changed your suspension and need longer travel shocks for the new suspension !

Youlle be surpised at what a difference a good set of shocks will do for your ride and handling !---Bruce

OldEnuff
10-01-2002, 05:39 AM
Thanks Bruce. What I was wondering was how far up the price ladder with shocks I should go and you have answered that for me. It will be a while before I can do the supsension and/or tires and wheels so new shocks it will be for now.
Thanks again. Jim

85_GMC_4x4
10-01-2002, 05:42 AM
Did bronco's have softer springs for the I6?

I'm wondering if you're a little lacking in weight for the front..

85 GMC 3/4T 4x4
7" BDS suspension lift
35" Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Tires
Dual fuel propane/gas
Locked rear axle
Smiley face painted on diff cover

CHEVY'S ROCK!!!!

KBB
10-01-2002, 08:37 AM
I found heavier axles made a huge differnece.

Scars are tattoos with better stories
'90 K5,Dana 44,4.10gears, Corp. 14 FF ,4.11gears, 33's steelies rims, welded r.spool, winch, 6 pt.cage,electric cooling ,4 inch lift,swaybar disconnects,traction bar,