PDA

View Full Version : New heep

doit
11-06-2016, 09:47 PM
I just wasted some money on a 96 grand. 6.5 lift Not my first one but this is my first problem like this. Going about 60 on a smooth turn and hit a bump and bam death wobble. I looked everything looks ok. Is this the stabilizer shock ? Or something else. It has a upgrade one think it's Old man emu. And the drag link is also upgraded and new ish. Hopping one of you can conferm the problem so I can fix it

Happypants
11-06-2016, 10:57 PM
Get someone to shake the steering wheel back and fourth really quick & u will find the loose spot real quick

4skin
11-06-2016, 10:58 PM
Steering box tight to frame ? Could be tires !
Does the track bar and drag link run on same angle ?
A steering stabilizer shock is a crutch to cover up a problem
My 4 runner had unbalanced 38.5 boggers on Weldon bead locks with no stabilizer and didn't death wobble
Adding a bit of toe in helps with bigger tires and offset rims
As does adding a couple degrees more castor
And yes it can be a bitch to track down what is causing it

doit
11-06-2016, 11:29 PM
Ok I'll check first time I bought a lifted rig I didn't do my self !!!!!! I got a ok deal on it for what's done to it but so many things I'm changing he uses a drop bracket on rear track bar 👎🏼 I'm getting a jks adjustable and switching shocks these ones are so stiff the guy didn't cheap on things

doit
11-06-2016, 11:39 PM
It's a jeep. They have problems lol. Hahah at least the warn winch works. And the bumper is nice he put BMW lights in it I'm expecting to get pulled over for that If any of you guys that know way more then me have 30 mins to look it over I'll chuck you some wobbly pops I can bring it to you. I always like to learn from others.

4skin
11-06-2016, 11:46 PM
Drop brackets are not really a bad thing for rear track bar
The closer to level the rear track bar is the less the diff moves side to side
Look at some of the rock crawlers the frame side mount is lower than the axle side of track bar mount at ride height

doit
11-06-2016, 11:54 PM
Hmmmm cool I was thinking the complete opposite glad I posted I thought it would put to must stress on the bracket cause a failure My last jeep I did I probably wasted a lot of money I didn't need to Haha I had no help wish I did.

Happypants
11-07-2016, 08:20 AM
I've seen the rear trackbar mounts bust off from drop brackets,

4skin
11-07-2016, 12:29 PM
And don't they tear off without drop brackets too:dontknow:

Happypants
11-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Oh ya they do, I've fixed a few lol,

Lieutenant Johnson
11-08-2016, 07:04 PM
track bar is almost always the culprit...Check diff side bolt for wallowing in the hole or loose bolt. Also buying someone elses 6.5" lifted grand , they probably threw a drop pitman on it, maybe fckn with your angles of Trac bar in relation to drag link.

Post up a pic...but check for the obvious first, loose bolt on trac bar, worn out bushing on trac bar....

4skin
11-08-2016, 11:25 PM
How does it drive up to the death wobble ?
Does it wander follow truck ruts do you have to fight to keep it in a lane ?
Can you tell whose lift kit it is ? Only a few make a 6.5
Look at top of springs and see if there is spacers if there is its probably a pieced
Together lift and that could be part of the problem bunch of stuff that dosnt work well together
Also check your rear track bar and links for tightness
The steering stabilizer is on the tie rod and diff not on drag link to body right
Have seen it done and yes I'd dosnt work loo

doit
11-09-2016, 05:10 PM
I found it after I talked to the previous owner he put a new stabilizer shock in so I looked at it and that was the problem He forgot to tighten the bolt. Easy fix !!!!! Problem solved. But my next problem was caused from my job site Sidewall hole. From a nail. Anyone have a spair 33x12.5x15 bfg mud terrain hahahahah

4skin
11-09-2016, 05:34 PM
I would be going over it with a set of tools and checking every thing
If he couldn't put a stabilizer on lol
6.5 inches of lift and 33s must look like someone skipped leg day lol
I would still look into the alignment the shock is just covering the problem

doit
11-09-2016, 07:36 PM
I am getting the alignment done right away and I went over all bolts. The funny thing is he's a ticketed mechanic. To miss a bolt one of two on that part scares the shit out of me also.

doit
11-09-2016, 07:38 PM
I checked the ballpoints there all good. Wheel barings are good also.

harvester_sorrow
11-09-2016, 09:56 PM
Stabilizer is just a cover up. Most likely something else causing it

4skin
11-10-2016, 12:29 AM
Don't just look at front end check your rear links as well
The worst death shake I've ever felt was my one ton with the pickup box off of it
Going across mission bridge
violent enough to spread change in cup holder everywhere in cab
never had done it before
Even when it needed ball joints track bar and wheel bearings
And hasn't done it with the box on it since
I figure it was the back of the frame twisting because of the box missing