View Full Version : Anyone experienced with Tent Trailer Furnaces?

Lieutenant Johnson
11-21-2015, 05:08 PM
I was testing my furnace in my new to me Tent Trailer I bought this year and ran into some problems.

The pilot light would go on but NOT STAY ON......Could hold it for 1min or 20min but it would stay on one you let go of the button. I am guessing it is a bad Thermocoupler?? or the pilot light is misaligned and not contacting the Thermocoupler...my question is I can see a lil blue flame in the pilot light assembly and just to the right (misaligned with Thermocoupler) is a Yellow flame that is bigger than the blue flame?? Is this normal....or is the Pilot light supposed to be Blue that is heating the Thermocoupler?

Any thoughts are appreciated , will be testing again tomorrow. I took the furnace out and am inspecting it at home tonight ...

11-21-2015, 05:17 PM
new thermacuopler and check the schematic to orientate its alignment with pilot light.

11-21-2015, 05:55 PM
Pilot light should be big enough to heat thermocouple. Thermocouple should be in the flame. Sometimes a couple smacks to the regulator help. One way to check is heat thermocouple up with a torch or lighter then see if furnace works.

Lieutenant Johnson
11-21-2015, 06:07 PM
good advice guys...never thought of the JJ ... Gonna go back tomorrow am and reinstall into Trailer and try to first Align the pilot light , maybe it got misaligned from the Trailer bumping around...

If that doesnt work will get a BBQ lighter on the THermocoupler while Pilot light button pressed...that should in theory tell the Pressure switch to turn on the gas, then fire on the Thermostat

does the thermostat have to be ON before the pilot light stays on itself, or should the Pilot light stay lit and then turn on Thermostat?

11-21-2015, 07:07 PM
Pilot light stays lit with thermostat off, but main burner wont fire unless thermostat is on

Lieutenant Johnson
11-21-2015, 07:11 PM
Okay sweet . got the Thermocoupler and Pilot burner out of chamber. Cleaning both of and gonna test Thermocoupler with multimeter and some heat on it

Lieutenant Johnson
11-21-2015, 07:52 PM
Tested 20-24 Millivolts with a lighter to the Thermocoupler...will test with pilot light on it tomorrow to aee if getting proper heat..

Lieutenant Johnson
11-22-2015, 02:33 PM
Cleaned out the Pilot line today ..reqwired all electronics and WE GOT HEAT!!!

Works like a hot damn..pilot light aligned better with Thermocoupler and flame was much healthier. Took about a minute and the Pilot stayed on it own...then with a flip of the thermostat switch HEAT turned on and fan followed suit...super quiet fan too. Winter Camp will be glorious next weekend!

thanks for the tips boys helped out alot

11-22-2015, 05:54 PM
Check the lines for rust, cold propane,condensation, will cause the rust and nasty shit to buildup into the lines,