PDA

View Full Version : Who can shorten axles?

Lieutenant Johnson
05-02-2015, 11:55 PM
Looking at a cpl HP44 and wondering who everyone uses to shorten their axles? I want quality work so looking for someone experienced in it.. Thanks

vajayjay
05-03-2015, 12:31 AM
Just order new through Yukon or Dutchman

Then you get warranty

4skin
05-03-2015, 12:40 AM
axle or housing ? lots of guys can do the housing with varying success
and you just order axles the right length from someone like Yukon
currie etc
for someone that can't do it themselves it's probably cheaper
to get a pre built housing and axles from curie or manufactuer of your choice that will bolt into your specific vehicle

Lieutenant Johnson
05-03-2015, 12:55 AM
Welding new mounts wont be the problem, its only shortening I need. The axle is I am after, has ARB, 4.88s, Chromos, 1ton OTK perfect match besides leaf sprung and 67.5 wms would like it at 62 ish

4skin
05-03-2015, 01:20 AM
so look at it as your buying used gears and arb
to take that much width off you will probably have to narrow both sides
to place the center section correctly
so both the inner axles probably won't work for you
the narrowing the diff part is easier than making shure the brackets are in the right locations
ask happypants he narrowed his front 44
it just involves alot of grinding to get the tubes out of the knuckles
or buying reed inner c's setting pinion angle and press the c's on to the shortened tubes bit of welding and done
to properly align all the susp brackets you really need a jig
like one of the company's that sells bolt in diffs uses
a couple degrees out on a link mount and it eats bushings or has bad handling
manners

Lieutenant Johnson
05-03-2015, 01:43 AM
Thinking of using Waggy shafts with this similiar setup. Same axle I am looking at now, so the measurements are perfect

http://d44tech.com/HP_Jeep_TJ.html

StinkFinger
05-03-2015, 11:39 AM
i can do housings but like bruce said the cromosare gon ihave a guy that might be able to re spline the shafts but cost wise new ones are most often a better option

Happypants
05-03-2015, 12:03 PM
When I shortened my 44 Dutchman had a new chromoly shaft made for me for 150 bux, I had it shipped to pathys place and it was there in a week,

If I were u Todd I would just buy a G2 housing that's your size, there's a lot that goes into it, especially if it's coil sprung, diff has to be centred properly within the brackets and using a leaf spring housing, u gonna have to cut prolly half the cast in leaf mount off the diff then get it welded back together, among other things, it would prolly be beneficial to just buy a housing and inner shafts from somewhere,

Lieutenant Johnson
05-03-2015, 06:29 PM
So if i were to get this axle for 1400 cad..sell the chromos for 600$.. I would be in it for 800-900$... Then to shorten, buy waggy shafts and a truss kit with brackets setup for tj, I am in for another 1000$ but with the right gearing to match rear, arb and 1ton steering..all in at 2000$ respectively

C-Dog
05-04-2015, 12:15 AM
Chromo's new are like $600 / $700 so don't see ya getting that for used ones IMO

There just seems to be so many easier ways to do what your looking to do there's no way that I would get stock axles shortened unless it was a dime a dozen axle where stock is always good.

What happens when u blow one now you at square one again. IMO of course

U know what I'm doing with my Waggy 44 if I find a shaft In the mean time great but I'm biting the bullet and doing the RCV'S

4skin
05-04-2015, 08:36 AM
what c dog said the waggy diff has been a popular swap
for years so axles are pretty tough to find
and you should maybe do some price reaserch
don't think you will be able to get it done for the $ amount your thinking imo
fair bit of time involved in doing what you want

Happypants
05-04-2015, 08:47 AM
There's a saggy diff sitting at pick a part right now, just sayin...

Lieutenant Johnson
05-04-2015, 09:41 AM
Valid points..didnt think Waggy shafts would be that hard to.find..

As for the Chromos they are 998$ new on Alloyusa...he has the complete set...

For now i may just get a new Ring and Pinion and a HD diff cover for the 30 and do a bit more research..

vajayjay
05-04-2015, 10:30 AM
Stock shorttrak waggy diffs are getting very hard to find. Like Bruce said those diffs have been the most popular swap out there. I think nutbar brake at least half the shafts ever manufactured.

Even just finding a driver drop waggy diff is difficult.

With all the tabs and coil buckets your TJ needs your best bet is probably just order one from dynatrak. It sounds like a big price tag in the beginning but by the time you buy all the parts you need and all the labor involved it will probably be pretty close to the same. And the swap takes a couple hours.

Lieutenant Johnson
05-04-2015, 11:08 AM
Yeah I made a call to a very knowledgeable Wheeler who builds buggies and rigs..with the minimal amount of an upgrade going to a D44 its just not worth it, he has seen a many D44 break on the silliest thins. If I plan to do this in a year or so, I will go full width D44 and a 9" combo...

Thanks again guys for all the advice and opinions. Just need to get a strong diff cover to make pumpkin more rigid and see if she lasts another 5-6 years

Happypants
05-04-2015, 11:31 AM
http://www.g2axle.com/axle-assembly/front-dana-44-assembly.aspx

Lieutenant Johnson
05-04-2015, 11:53 AM
http://www.g2axle.com/axle-assembly/front-dana-44-assembly.aspx

thanks for the link Nick [cheers]

one of the reasons the 79 D44 excited me , was for the locking Warn Hubs and bigger Balljoints , Knuckles ....but the G2 could be a better option for bigger ring and pinion gear..

when I get my gear guy to install the new ring and pinion I may get him to make the tolerances a bit deeper for more tooth contact... maybe between 8-10 thous

Chopstick
05-04-2015, 01:20 PM
Cost me around $2500 to get my d44 gears set everything up for an xj but that was over 10yrs ago

Trailjunkie
05-04-2015, 05:18 PM
I can shorten them for yah but they wont be good fer much when im done. lol

Lieutenant Johnson
05-04-2015, 05:45 PM
I can shorten them for yah but they wont be good fer much when im done. lol

saweeet ! when are you free [36]

just picked up a Solid diff cover for a little extra insurance on the pumpkin, hold it together a bit better... contemplating a truss...but we will run it like this and see how she goes

Happypants
05-04-2015, 06:31 PM
My 44 was about 2200 bux as wel with all the Reid knuckles and locker n shit

will5757
05-04-2015, 09:38 PM
Same reason i built my 30 a bit, if i ever go to tires the 30 can't handle, i'll skip the 44 and go straight to 60's.

homeboy
05-04-2015, 09:47 PM
just do a 9" front, you can choose high or low pinion. fabricated housings are fairly cheap from a few different manufactures and you can build it any way you want from mild to crazy wild. my personal favorite is a gear works 10" third with spidertrax everything. Just need the 10-12k to buy one fully loaded with 300m and pro series everything.

anyone wanna buy a built kp chevy dana 60 for 10k? its a good deal! haha

4skin
05-04-2015, 09:51 PM
a nine inch isn't really a good choice for a wheeler
has the lowest pinion height makes the driveshaft vulnerable
and increases ds angle sucks in a short wb like a jeep
unless you go with a hi 9 and that's big coin
and isn't cheap to build strong the 9 inch in my wagon
was close to three grand in parts and that was with a spool
only stock part is the housing and brakes