View Full Version : Driving on the KVR?

I'm not here
01-02-2015, 07:30 AM
I've been putting this trip off for a few years since I learned of it from BCJC back in 2011, driving along the former Kettle Valley Railway from Kelowna to Naramata, is it still possible and allowed?
I'd like to do it early Spring.

This is the route that was made:

01-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Yes you can drive most of that section of the KVR,a common courtecy shuld be given to other users of the kvr
Keep the speed down and enjoy the ride
Some sections can b a bit rough and the puddles can get a bit deep ( no problem for stock 4x4)
There are some restrictions going south of shute lake and to the north of gillard main is closed to all motor vehicle traffic
Early sprin will be decieving as there can still be a lot of snow up there

My favorite area for local back country cruse... Stop at the shute lk lodge for a burger and apple pie... The best ive had
Check out the barn out back too
Elanore lake is just off the kvr, nice little waterfall .
Have fun n b safe
Happy new year

01-02-2015, 09:29 AM
We did Naramata to Kelowna a few years ago in a Honda CRV with no issues. It's a cool drive.

01-02-2015, 11:06 AM
Elinor lake waterfall hasn't run in a couple years now. but chute lake lodge is a deffinate must stop and peek around and you actually are supposed to cut across there property now to get to the naramata rd but you can still travel a short ways on the kvr and drop back out to the naramata rd before you hit the newly paved/closed portion of the kvr.

01-02-2015, 12:22 PM
yup the waterfall was running this year,i was quite surprised to see.
with all the active logging up there ,no trees left to soak up the water..lol

01-02-2015, 01:05 PM
is the kvr jeep aloud

01-02-2015, 02:10 PM
the kvr is closed to motor vehicles from Myra canyon to just north of gillard main,
from mcCulloch to myra is a designated snowmobile trail (POORLY marked).
tho there are bypass trails to get around the park area.(canyon lakes area and off the 201)
from gillard to chute lk is open to motor vehicles

dirka dave
01-02-2015, 02:33 PM
My chev venture minivan has been on the kvr.

Just sayin.

01-02-2015, 05:44 PM
mom n dad took the olds achiva up there 1 year...lmao...they got stuck...haa haa that will teach them...lol

01-02-2015, 06:39 PM
might be cool to kvr the heep to see the views and such in relative comfort.

I'm not here
01-03-2015, 09:19 AM
Any idea when there would be minimal snow? I don't mind the odd snow pack to punch through, but I'd be doing this solo.

Hello Kitty
01-03-2015, 09:59 AM
Any idea when there would be minimal snow? I don't mind the odd snow pack to punch through, but I'd be doing this solo.

Late spring onwards or go with some prepared people and have a good time in snow :D

01-03-2015, 10:08 AM
By may long weekend definatly fine. With the snow this year, it shoulnt take long to melt.

If its not critical you make it through on the first try, then start in mid march. Altho that will depe d on when it starts to warm up. Go as far as your comfortable and turn around or post on here when you plan going and likely there will be someone interested. Bam, now ya have someone with ya to help out.

I'm not here
01-03-2015, 12:01 PM
Late spring is too late for me for work loads. I'll keep an eye out on the weather forecasts for that area.